Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 16 Cinematographers Vie For Honors In Annual ASC TV Competition

Author Topic: 16 Cinematographers Vie For Honors In Annual ASC TV Competition
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-07-2003 12:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sixteen cinematographers are vying for honors in three television categories in the annual American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Outstanding Achievement Awards competition.

CBS and NBC both have three nominated programs, and FOX and ABC each have two nominations. Seven other channels or cable systems aired programs that earned ASC nominations. Winners will be named at the 17th Annual ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards dinner at the Century Plaza Hotel on February 16.

The ASC presents Outstanding Achievement Awards annually for movies-of-the week/miniseries/pilot that air on traditional broadcast networks, movies-of-the week/miniseries/pilot that air on cable or pay channels, and for narrative episodic programs.

It's a tremendous achievement for a cinematographer to be nominated," says ASC Awards Committee Chairman Owen Roizman. "The judges considered more than a hundred entries in the three television categories. They reported seeing countless films and episodic programs where cinematographers made important artful contributions to telling stories with images. The nominees are the best of the best."

Episodic category finalists are Michael Barrett for "Snuff"/C.S.I.: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS), Michael Bonvillain for "Page 47"/Alias (ABC), Frank Byers for "Fight Night"/C.S.I.: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS), Thomas Del Ruth, ASC for "Holy Night"/The West Wing (NBC), Billy Dickson, ASC for "Reality Bites"/Ally McBeal (FOX), Robert Primes, ASC for "Wing and a Prayer"/MDs (ABC), and Bill Roe, ASC for "Release"/The X-Files (FOX).

Cable movie/miniseries/pilot nominees are Jonathan Freeman for "John"/Taken (The Sci-Fi Channel), Jeffrey Jur, ASC for Last Call (Showtime), Serge Ladouceur for The Case of the White Chapel Vampire (Hallmark Channel), Anthony Nakonechnyj for Point of Origin (HBO), and William Wages, ASC for Miss Lettie and Me (TNT).

Broadcast movie/miniseries/pilot nominees are Barrett for "Cross Jurisdictions"/C.S.I.: Miami pilot (CBS), Victor Goss, ASC for Carrie (NBC), Clark Mathis for Birds of Prey pilot (WB), Brian J. Reynolds for American Dreams pilot (NBC), and Peter Wunstorf for Haunted pilot (UPN).

Barrett's nominations in two TV categories-episodic and broadcast movie/miniseries/pilot categories-mark only the second time that a cinematographer has been nominated in more than one category.

Nominees were selected by ASC members who viewed all of the entries in the categories they judged. All members are eligible to participate in the final voting. "It isn't easy to judge cinematography because narrative camerawork is usually meant to be non-obtrusive," says ASC President Richard Crudo. "We believe it takes peers to recognize and appreciate the accomplishments of other cinematographers."

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/news/tvNominees.shtml

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: