Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie Theater Ailments

Author Topic: Movie Theater Ailments
Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 08:05 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just browsing through FaceTheJury and came across this very amusing article one of the members had written. Not sure if this kid works in the business somehow but he hit it right on!

Going to a theatre to catch a movie is one of my favorite ways to pass the time. There is something almost magical about walking into a large, dimly lit auditorium, cozying up to your date, and watching the lights go down as the show begins. It is opening night of what is bound to be the most popular movie in America that weekend, and the theatre is packed with anxious moviegoers. The lights fade, and the swell of conversation diminishes. It's time! Then...

.. those people who seem to be oblivious to the fact that the theatre is going to be stuffed to the rafters walk in looking for seats. These clueless moviegoers tend to travel in packs ranging in size from two to ten, and they expect to stroll into opening night of Harry Potter, Spiderman or Lord of the Rings after the lights have gone down and get seats together. Don't they realize that most people in the theatre have been waiting in line for an hour or more to get good seats? Obviously not.

Once they determine that sitting together is futile the pack leader will then trumpet his or her mating call, "Hey, are them seats taken? S'anyone sittin' there?" The leader disperses the group to find the pack members single seats throughout the auditorium. Then the mating dance begins as pack members squeeze past you, their bulging rear ends directly at eye level. As they step on your toes in the darkness, they drop offerings of food and beverages from the concessions stand in your lap.

Who are they? What is their aversion to arriving BEFORE the movie is supposed to begin? I know that the paper says the movie starts at 7:15pm, but it is customary to arrive before the previews!

Could the "latecomers" be related in some form to the dreaded Cell Phone Ringers?! It's bad enough to have a dramatic scene interrupted by a digitized version of "The Star Spangled Banner", but It amazes me when they actually answer the phone and have a conversation with the person that called during the movie: "Hey man, what's up? No, I'm just seeing a movie - we can talk." The next time you hear someone's cell phone ring in a movie theatre lend a hand and invite that person to stick the phone someplace a bit darker and a whole lot tighter.

Of course in every movie there are also the line repeaters. Line Repeaters are usually an older group of individuals that forgot to turn up their hearing aids, or someone who just thinks it's amusing to repeat lines that were just uttered on screen. Can you say, redundant?

"Heh, heh, that little green dude said, 'Hard to see, the dark side is.' He talks funny."

If you, or someone you know is a Latecomer, Cell Phone Ringer, or Line Repeater, please do the rest of us a favor; stay home and rent a video!

Here's the link for the actual page Theater Ailments Article

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: