Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Some people know how to say "Thank You" after all. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Some people know how to say "Thank You" after all.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-14-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, I boarded the Island Transit bus that supposedly was supposed to go to Mount Vernon, which is 22 miles up the road from where I live. ( I got on the wrong bus anyway. [Frown] )

But anyway, during the short trip, I noticed the bus was full of kids ranging from age 10 to 20 years old. As the driver of the bus was making his rounds, I noticed that every kid (without any exceptions) actually thanked the bus driver as they departed the bus! What a pleasant surprise!!! I was actually shocked to see this.

Since I got on the wrong bus yesterday, I was going to try again to get up to Mount Vernon so I could pick up my vehicle. The Theatre Owner called me on the cell phone and said to wait, he was on his way to pick me up. About 5 minutes before the boss arrived, the same bus with the same driver came rolling along the highway. The driver apparently recognized me, and even though I waved him through, he stopped anyway to make sure I was or was not going to take the bus to Mount Vernon.

Island Transit does not charge a fee to ride the bus. Rides are free.

But the point I was trying to make is that some people do not forget to say "Thank You", and some service providers such as Island Transit has some drivers that will go out of their way to see if they can help someone. Isn't that great? I have never seen something like this in decades. Have you?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2003 07:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I see it a pretty decent amount around Dallas, but it's nowhere near as commonplace as it probably should be. I think if someone is greeted in a friendly manner, the odds of a "thank you" is much more probable.

Quick poll...

How many projectionists here actually get told "thank you for the great job you did tonight" by their manager when they have a perfect shift of shows? (Be sure to specify whether you work for a large chain or a small chain/independent.)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-14-2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always get thanked by the owners of independent theatres when I leave at the end of the night.

I occassionally get thanked by 'multiplex chain' managers.

I always get thanked by head office personnel from the chains when they are around to see a show or just to 'visit'.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-14-2003 07:55 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching an enjoyable movie that was enhanced by good presentation, I've been known to thank the manager on my way out. I make a point of complimenting their presentation. This compliment usually results in a look of surprise followed by a big smile and a reply like "Thank you for telling me - We're glad you enjoyed it." Hokey but true. [Big Grin] Naturally I would like to thank the projectionist too but that's usually not possible... [Frown]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-14-2003 08:11 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you...sure. But do they know how to say nee! [Razz]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-14-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get a lot of our clients stop by the booth and say
Thank You for a Great Show, as they leave the theatre.
These remarks are coming from production staff like
Directors, Producers, Actors, all the way down to the
P R people. They say when we run a show here it runs
so smooth. Brad knows I run a Studio Screening Room
, here in New York. But when I ran theatres, I would
get a Thank You from management at the end of the night.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-14-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the pleasure of working with a couple of managers who expressed their appreciation. Sometimes, with a thank you and sometimes with free dinner or special snacks.

One theatre manager used to let me have first choice of shifts and I usually got a good amount of hours there...with the "good" managers.

Oh and there was this one manager who kept bringing me bagels. When I left the company, he gave me a present. I didn't know what it was, so I asked him and he gave me a strange look. "You're kidding me," he said. After I had convinced him that I really had no clue what it was, he explained that it was something you put at the entrance to your home. It's a Jewish thing. Somehow, he had gotten it into his head that I was "a nice, Jewish boy" and that was why he kept bringing me bagels. Nice guy. I put the thing up at the door to my apartment. It served as a reminder of good times. You're supposed to touch it as you enter and exit. Anyone know the proper name of this?

(This post took about 5 minutes. It was edited twice.)

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-14-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not Jewish and whether or not I'm nice is for others to decide but I think the item in question is called a Mezuzah.

I get thanked pretty often because departing visitors walk right past the booth entrance.

I did a reel change in the midst of this post; does that affect my timing?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-14-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, do a Google search on Mezuzah. You might find it touching. [Smile]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-14-2003 09:32 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of a busy night, with packed houses for films like "Spider-Man" or "Lord of the Rings" (or even "Greek Wedding") and all the shows have gone off flawlessly and the customers have had a great moviegoing experience and the throngs exit with smiles on their faces, the manager definitely owes a big "Thank You" to whoever is working the booth. [beer]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-14-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually get a "thank you" but only when I do something a bit beyond normal projectionist duties, like build a platter, swap an intermittent or figure something "complex" that eludes the managers

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-14-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently ran a screening for a nonprofit group. I told them that I would do it for $50 flat-rate, which I think is pretty reasonable for a one-time show on a Friday night with the director in the audience in a venue that I had never seen before (which meant that I had to spend an hour or so visiting it the week before the screening). The screening went perfectly, and the director of the nonprofit was a very reasonable person to work with (which is why I agreed to do this in the first place).

Anyway, today I received in the mail a very nice note thanking me for my help, along with a check for $75. I was very impressed by this (not the money, but the fact that they cared enough to express their appreciation with a personal note) and would be very happy to do more shows for that group in the future.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 11:36 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish. The managers at my place get annoyed when I want to wait for the bulb to cool down after the last show finishes.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-15-2003 12:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that there are exceptions, but impatience seems to be a requirement for being a manager. We have one guy who will come up to the booth as the last show is in credits and keep asking "are you done yet are you finished well can you go faster?" etc. My response is always "no, but I can go slower!" He has since stopped doing this (to me). Usually his big hurry is to either get to a bar or to get home and have some drinks. Any excuse to drink. He does say thank you when I help him out or save a show, though. He's actually pretty easy to work with except for the impatience part.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-15-2003 01:06 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The managers at my place get annoyed when I want to wait for the bulb to cool down after the last show finishes.
We have timers on our blowers. They cut off after ten minutes. I did work for one manager a few years ago who always complemented you when you were doing a good job. I really appreciated working for him.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: