Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Customer etiquette

Author Topic: Customer etiquette
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2003 03:55 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I swear we allready had a thread like this but I can't find it.

anyway...

I'm starting with a question to gather people's opinions.

Lets say we have an auditorium that is pretty empty.There is a group of 4 or 5 people sat together in a middle row 6 rows back. Now I enter. I have 2 favourite places to sit. Middle 6 rows back (but dang 5 people are sat there) or middle 5 rows back (in front of the group). I don't want to sit middle 7 rows back as its too far from the screen. I sit middle 5 rows back in front of the group. Now have I been rude sitting in front of someone since the room is very empty?

General question: When you enter an aunditorium should you avoide sitting in fron of someone else who is allready there?

EDIT: I don't believe I just said "dang".

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-15-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
England is still a free country, no?

If it's open/general seating, technically, you're allowed to sit anywhere you want as long as you're not wearing a stovepipe hat or a beehive hairdo or anything like that.

Generally, try to avoid sitting directly in front of anybody but as long as one sits quietly and unobrtusibly there's no reason to think that's rude.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-15-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who has a huge afro. He looks like he has been transported here directly from the 70s in a time tunnel.
When we go to the movies, we always sit directly in front of other people, especially small ones.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As part of this I would say that it's rude to hang a coat over the chair in front.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-15-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually hang my coat over the small people in the row behind me.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-15-2003 06:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, you are a very funny man. [Smile]

In all seriousness, I never sit in front of anyone if there are plenty of seats available in other parts of the auditorium. Although I never do it, many others have done it to me and I just sit there and S T E A M! All kinds of #%^$@Q% race through my mind when I try to think of ways to get even. One of the thoughts I had was to get up and sit right in front of one of them with my baseball cap on and try to sit up straight with my six foot body.But being the gentleman that I am, I would either move or just forget it.

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-15-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, the trick here is to just keep sneezing. They will move. [evil]

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2003 07:17 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's a problem if you go sit in front of the people. But Humans generally tend to sit as far as possible from others. I think I'd probably sit on the second row in front or behind the already-seated viewers.

This reminds me of the unlucky viewing of EDWARD SCISSORHANDS at the Odeon Leicester Square, London. I asked for "Circle please, Ma'am". I really wonder why in some cases the box office attendant lets you choose your seat, and why in some other cases it doesn't! This time it didn't! [Confused] and I had to sit at the back of the circle. Not only the 70mm 1:1.85 image looked small, but I was the only spectator at the circle until a father and his son entered the auditorium and sat right next to me [Mad] (I think I should mention, for those who don't know the Odeon Leicester Square theater, that it has about 2,000 seats with 1,000 stalls and 1,000 on the circle).

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coughing. Coughing hard. Especially with little bits of popcorn shooting out of your mouth should make anyone move [evil]

Dennis

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or eating garlick [Big Grin]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I avoid this problem all together...I run the movie after hours. [Big Grin] I am so turned off by watching movies with the general public due to the bad habits they have been doing over the past 10 years or so...cell phones, talking, babies, [sex] and etc...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: