Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film Daily Yearbooks

Author Topic: Film Daily Yearbooks
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2003 08:46 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently acquired 6 Film Daily Yearbooks from the years 1949, 1953, 1954, 1956, 1957, and 1963. These are extremely interesting.

All of them except the 1953 and 1963 editions have a listing of all the movie theatres in the country. I was disappointed that the 1963 one did not have that listing, since if it had, it would have given me 6 more years of coverage. At least I have a good snapshot of 1949-1957.

It would be good to know which editions of the Film Daily yearbooks had the listing of all theatres and which ones didn't (some list only drive-ins, art theatres, and Negro theatres). How long did Film Daily put such a listing in their yearbooks? I would love to find similar listings of all the theatres in the nation for years in the 60s and 70s and on.

|  IP: Logged

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 10:19 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another possibility is Quigley Publishing's "International Motion Picture Almanac," ISSN 0074-7084. The 2002 volume, ISBN 0-900610-69-7, lists Theatre Circuits, Circuit Theatres by State, Circuit Theatres in the Top 50 U.S. Markets, Independent Theaters, and Specialty & Large Format Exhibitors.

The 1959 volume lists Theatre Circuits and Drive-In Theatres. The 1949-50, 1944-45, 1943-44, and 1938-39 volumes list Theatre Circuits.

Some of the listings are detailed, most are not.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-18-2003 09:14 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Film Daily Yearbooks from 1930-1955 and misc years
after that till 1969. These came from MGM's Head of Publicity.
They are great for reseach on Theatre locations and name changes.

Roger Katz
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Film Daily Yearbooks from 1947 and 1970. The 1947 one has the complete listing of all movie theatres in the country. i recently acquired the 1970 FDY and like you was very disappointed that it did not list all the theatres. It only lists drive-ins and it also lists theatre circuits with 3 more more cinemas.

Oh geez...that photo of me is awful, isn't it? I'll have to find someone to take a better shot of me.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that amazes me when looking at old state-by-state listings of movie theatres is that many small towns that don't have theatres today had them years ago.

I guess that was in the pre-television days when everybody went to the movies both for entertainment and the latest news reels. Now people in many of these towns either have to drive a fair distance to go to a movie theatre or just stay at home and rent videos or watch cable TV.

I realize that the economic realities of the exhibition industry don't support a lot of little single screen theatres these days but it is sad to think that a lot of movie theatres, probably some very ornate little houses, only lasted a few decades.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: