Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » PC monitor cleaning (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: PC monitor cleaning
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-17-2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you use to clean the screen of your PC monitor?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-17-2003 12:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windex. [Big Grin] The coatings on modern CRTs don't seem to be bothered by it at all.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also use Windex. I don't spray it directly on the screen though, I spray it on the paper towel and then wipe the screen, using the paper towel as a wet rag.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-17-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-17-2003 01:34 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windex. Spraying it on the cloth avoids drips running down into the works.
Avoid -!!!- using Fantastic on anything glass. It will etch many types of glass, let alone what it might do to the monitor's AR coating.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-17-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the caution not to spray liquid glass cleaner directly on the monitor surface, lest it drip down into the electronics. Some monitor wipes sold for the purpose contain a conductive antistat to minimize attraction of dust to the monitor faceplate. For CRT displays, keep magnets away from the monitor, or you might require a degaussing of the monitor to regain your purity. [Wink]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-17-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember "back in the old days" some monitors had an anti-static coating of some kind that was very susceptible to fingerprints, and they didn't like to be cleaned with anything other than a re-application of the same or similar anti-static spray. Modern CRTs seem to do much better -- not much problem with static, and they aren't bothered by careful cleaning with something like Windex.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-17-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to blast mine with an air duster spray. As has been noted in other threads and contexts, this just moves dust - it doesn't remove it - but it moves it to a location where it can safely be removed with a damp cloth.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-17-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John said:
quote:
For CRT displays, keep magnets away from the monitor, or you might require a degaussing of the monitor to regain your purity.
That's for sure!!!!

A new demonstration monitor was completely ruined at a retail facility by some little punk who held a powerful magnet next to the screen. The magnet damaged the screen so bad that even normal degaussing could not restore it.

I am also amazed by the people who lean their floppy disks against the monitor. They cannot understand why the disks get corrupt just sitting there when they turn the monitor off and on.

...and then, there was a person who recorded some data on a 5.25-inch floppy, took the disk out of the drive, and stuffed it in his electric typewriter and typed the name of the contents on the disk. He thought the disk was defective when he tried to use it again.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 02:18 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have a 16-screen video wall in our lobby. It was my job as projectionist to clean it. In a month it would get a measurable amount of dust built up on the screen. We used to use a screen brush moutned on an extention pole to dust it. But every now and then we would have to get out the 16' ladder and get up there with Windex and paper towels. I was always amazed and horrified as to the amount of dust those CRTs attracted.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-17-2003 02:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TV picture tubes seem to have the problem much worse than computer monitors. I have a 27" Sony Wega flat-screen TV that attracts dust like a magnet.

John Moriarty
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 04:56 PM      Profile for John Moriarty   Email John Moriarty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what do people use on LCD (or similar) screens?

I normally use a damp soft cloth, and if necesary a touch of washing up liquid. (Too cheap to buy stuff deisgned for purpose.)

John

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-17-2003 08:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I position my LCD displays high enough that I can tilt the display downwards a couple of degrees. This way dust never settles on them and I never have to clean them.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2003 12:32 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spray Windex onto a clean rag or paper towel then wipe the face of the monitor. To keep it cleaner longer I follow this cleaning with a product made for coin operated video game monitors called "Touchdown" by Wildcat Products.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2003 01:14 AM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a plain, soft, lens/negative cloth – no chemicals. Always removes fingerprints and dust.

[ 03-10-2003, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: Matthew Peters ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: