Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How do car cd players load cd's? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do car cd players load cd's?
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-19-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just how do they do it, without scratching the disk, or getting it dirty? What kind of mechanism is involved?

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-19-2003 09:36 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rubber rollers grip and 'inject' / eject the disc.

The motor spindle attatches to the disc in a way similar to how a 5.25" floppy disc drive clamps to a floppy disc. Which is the same way any tray based CD-ROM drive works (clamping wise).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-19-2003 09:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does car CD players load?

Simple...VERY Carefully.... [Big Grin]

But more importantly, I think pancake syrup, paw prints, disks laying on the floor amongst pop bottles, rocks, sand, dust, etc. will take their toll on a CD and its player very quickly in an automotive enviroment.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably an in-dash 6-disc changer must have some kind of internal "magazine" that keeps the discs physically separated. Mine takes quite a while to load/eject multiple discs and makes lots of whirring and clicking sounds while it does it.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-19-2003 09:54 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So there are rollers that grab it huh? I thought there was a rubber mat or something like a treadmill that grabbed the disk.

Thanks for the info, guys [Smile]

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-19-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's where the problem lies. Rubber rollers. Seems they could be very troublesome when they get loaded with crud. If I was to buy one, (which I won't anyway) I would opt for the old style rack and pinion that drags the tray just like a standard CDROM drive. Nothing touches the disk other than the tray itself. Trays are much easier to keep clean than the internal rollers. If the rubber rollers get cruddy enough it might leave imprints and pock marks on the disk, especially if you try to pull it out while the player is trying to suck it in.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-19-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I dont recall any CD players for automotive applications that had a drawer mechanism.

Josh

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two long, skinnny, rubber pinch rollers just behind the face place of the player. They are geared together so they counter rotate when the motor activates them. They are concave/curved in shape.

The idea is that the curve if the rollers makes it so the only part of the disk is touched by the rollers is the edges. That's why the machine doesn't scratch your disks when it draws them in or spits them out.

Then, when the disk is in the proper position the spindles clamp the disk at the center, through the hole. The spindle is shaped so it's self-centering. The little ridge around the hole on the disk helps center the disk.

Right before the spindle motor starts spinning the disk, the rubber rollers that pull the disk in part slightly, releasing their hold on the disk. They are no longer needed because the disk is now securely clamped from the center.

When the disk is ejected, the process reverses itself.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a 4x Speed Creative CD-ROM drive (with remote control) mounted in my car. I never figured out where I could plug the IDE strap into though. [Smile]

Hey, maybe if I took out my Alpine deck and put the Creative one back in, my car could be THX certified.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 02-19-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any hardware controllers you can interface with the CDrom drives to make a cheap standalone cd player?

Josh

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most older CD-ROM drives have at least a 'next track' button and also automatically start playing an audio CD when it is inserted. So in this case you would only need a power supply. Either a computer PS or a PS that can supply about 1.0A @ 5VDC and 1.2A @ 12VDC will do. Of course functionality would be a little limited. [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...but hardly worth doing when no-brand Walkman-esque players can be had so cheaply. Heck you can even get one that plays MP3-CD/R's as well as audio CD's for under $50.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-20-2003 12:21 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds just like a PTR [Big Grin]

--jhawk

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 06:15 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need a Schaefer automation system with a carousel cart changer.

-- and a SawzAll to put ANOTHER hole in your head afterwards!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-20-2003 06:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh wrote:

quote:

FWIW, I dont recall any CD players for automotive applications that had a drawer mechanism.

What do they use then? I've never seen one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: