Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Grammy Awards to be in HD with Dolby 5.1 digital sound

Author Topic: Grammy Awards to be in HD with Dolby 5.1 digital sound
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 02:25 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USA TODAY reported in today's issue that the Grammy Awards on some CBS stations will be in High Definition with Dolby 5.1 digital sound. According to the article, this will be the first time a non sporting event will be aired with 5.1 sound.
Presenting a show like this with multi channel sound has turned out to be a challenge but the producers has found a way to do it and it will be spectacular. The article listed all of the cities that will show the program in HD and I think there were sixteen. All of the big major cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco that have CBS owned stations are getting it but smaller cities with station that are also owned by the network such as Orlando, Indianapolis, Denver and a few others were also on the list. Our CBS station here in Honolulu is not yet set up for high defination so we were not included. If the Academy Awards is in HD, Hawaii will get it because our ABC affiliate, KITV I think was the first commercial station in the country to broadcast in high definition.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 03:26 AM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has the Academy awards ever been broadcasted in HD? My local Cox cable supplier has informed me that they have switched to HD. Sounds pretty intresting to watch the Grammies in HD though. Thanks for the info!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-21-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if they performed the Grammys live in my living room I don't think I'd be able to watch them. Wonder what types of sounds will be in the subwoofer channel? Hopefully they wouldn't just use a crossover and everything from all channels that is lower than xxHz goes to the sub. Yuck. It needs to be discrete.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen who's nominated this year? They haven't learned a thing since the Milli Vanilli fiasco!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 02:02 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse,

Since my interest has been limited to mostly classical music, I have never paid too much attention to the Grammy awards show on television. The only time I would be influenced by the awards is when I see a classical CD in a music store that has won a Grammy such as the excellent opera recording of "LES TROYENS" by Hector Berlioz recorded by Sir Colin Davis and the London Symphony which I recently purchased.

-Claude

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 07:24 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no point to HDTV as long as they still have those stupid logos onscreen anyways.

http://www.logofreetv.org

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I'm sure all microphones will be hard steered to the center speaker, all subwoofer information will be derived from the left and right mains, the surrounds will be stereo synthesized and will be echo wet out from the mains as well as crowd noise. Sure it will be surround and technically it will be 5.1, but it's just another feature for people to get excited about. I'm quite positive the sound won't be significantly better than last year's surround mix.

Let us know what you hear Claude. I think you will be disappointed. No one can do a proper 5.1 mix on the fly.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I wont be able to tell you how it will sound for two reasons. As I have mentioned in my original post, our CBS affiliate station here in Honolulu is not broadcasting in HD yet so it will only be shown with Dolby stereo surround sound here. Even if it was going to aired in HD, I have not bought a high defination set yet to watch it.

-Claude

Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2003 01:18 AM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Brad, no one "can" do a proper surround mix on the fly, now that I think of it. Mabe the prerecorded content ( if there is any ) will be mixed properly.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-22-2003 01:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No one can do a proper 5.1 mix on the fly.
No kidding. It's hard to even do stereo decently on the fly. Even mono is tough if you have many lines coming in and don't have every level adjusted perfectly.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-22-2003 01:57 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mixing stereo isn't that bad if you are somewhat familiar with the acts and you've set it all up properly. Just like it's easy to do trailer changes by yourself in a 16 plex if you set yourself up right.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 02:39 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now seem to recall that the USA TODAY article did state that a lot of pre recorded music will be used in addition to the live sound. I dont know how they will use the recordings but the report did state that the sound will be great.

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-22-2003 02:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah well, reports were that "The Mummy" would have good sound too...and that has the worst track ever. So much for that theory.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 03:30 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I have not seen "THE MUMMY" recently but I seem to recall the sound was very good when I saw it in a theatre in DTS. I also have the DVD and it is also in DTS. Now that you said the sound was not very good, I got to get the disc out and check it.
Thanks for your input. [Smile]

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-22-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't judge it from a video. You'll have to get a film print. Most movies are remixed for video release. In an auditorium where every print I ran in there for a couple of years prior to the Mummy was released, they all sounded extremely good. When I screened the Mummy, I had to turn the fader down several db as it was killing my ears (as well as the others who were screening it). It was just a godawful mix, not just "recorded loud".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: