Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Old Beatles movie in rare sound formats

Author Topic: Old Beatles movie in rare sound formats
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2003 08:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this from another forum and it's just too good to pass up. Everyone be sure and bid now for this incredibly rare opportunity! [Roll Eyes]

Click here

What great Photoshopping!

-

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same seller is also offering this gem from "Star Trek III":
 -

Then there's this extra-rare letterboxed set from "Phantom Menace":

-

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-21-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extra rare flat trailer, eh?

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years back when James Bond:Tomorrow Never dies came out on UK video there was a special edition version that contained what was ment to be a film strip of real film.

Problem is that the image was flat (it's a scope film).

I've seen this many other times as well.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's because if they included an actual scope strip, people would think "Hey! this can't be real, it's all stretched!" [Razz]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2003 06:02 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Those stupid "Commemorative Real Film Cell" things they sell are all fakes. I have yet to see one with a REAL film cell from a REAL print. Most have no soundtracks, are flat when it's a scope film, are the wrong size (remember that HUGE "real film cell" they included with the "commemorative" Godzilla tickets? It could almost pass for IMAX if it were a bit wider.) and most aren't even real film! Just an image printed on a transparency with sprocket holes added (poorly) later.

What would be even better, is if they took the film cell from an actual print that played at an actual multiplex with actual booth/ushers. Complete with REAL scratches and sprocket toothing! [Smile]

=TMP=

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 08:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same seller is offering this:

-

[I have now officially spent WAY too much time looking at that seller's auctions.]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please stop calling them cels unless you're quoting the imbeciles on eBay. A "cel" is a large piece of acetate used in animation. It can have a background, a character, or part of a character Xeroxed, inked, and/or painted on it. Or something along those lines. A piece of motion picture film is not a cel so let's not perpetuate this stupidity. Except to poke fun of course.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

click here

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what is the deal with these fake frames, anyhow?
I always assumed that they were cut-up trailers or odd reels, but I just don't understand the fake soundtrack thing. I mean, they'd have to work to get that.

So if they're not real, what are they? Some guy with a color laser printer on acetate transparency? [Confused] [Confused]

--jhawk

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A "cel" is a large piece of acetate used in animation.
It was also originally used as an abbreviation for 'celluloid' (older projectionists I met still referred to the base side of the film as the 'cel' side). As celluloid (i.e. nitrate) hasn't been used in the motion picture industry for 50 years, that's yet another reason why this bloke doesn't know what he's talking about, let alone selling! [Roll Eyes]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 04:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the seller & his "product" are legit. To be fair, the pictures do say only that they are an "example" of what you're getting. He's taking several graphic elements and pasting them together in a "representation" of what you get. It's like a template of a generic piece of film and then he drops in frames allegedly from the actual movie. His feedback is impeccable, so I don't see a rip-off here. But it would be interesting to know why he goes to the trouble of putting up sample frames rather than the actual ones.

John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 11:54 AM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be quite a cottage industry cutting up 35mm trailers and turning them into "film cels." You can buy a complete trailer on ebay for a couple of bucks and turn it around into more "cels" than you'll ever sell in a lifetime. Of course, these "collector's items" are generally advertised as coming from the movie itself, instead of the trailer they actually originated from.

I suppose that there's a positive in that it keeps the film out of the landfills, and helps create some public awareness of what 35mm film really is (as opposed to videotape.)

For an example of raging ebay madness, check out this auction!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Others charge as low as ONLY US$350 / US$250.00 Per NIMUTE !
[Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: