Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film-Tech Screening Room - Questions. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film-Tech Screening Room - Questions.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-25-2003 10:19 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just been looking at the photographs, looks a nice setup, but I have a few questions:

1. How big is the auditorium, it's difficult to judge from the pictures.

2. Any chance of some close-ups of the CDS processor? I've seen one of the readers, but never the processor. Is there any film to play through it?

3. Why two aux units for the CP-200, what options are installed in them?

4. Are there four power supplies for the CP-200, or am I mistaking them for something else? Most CP-200 instalations I have seen have two PSUs, one in use and one on standby, but I have never seen four.

5. What is an 'HTPC'?

6. What screen surface does it have?

7. Was it created within an existing building, or built new from the ground up?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-25-2003 11:12 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the F-T screening room available for functions like private screenings for critics or anything like that?

How often is it used?

Have you given any thought to conducting projectionist training seminars there? [Smile] What a great place to learn Film Done Right!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-25-2003 12:22 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the popcorn made with canola or coconut oil?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-25-2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that security for the screening room is provided by Cordell Walker Texas Ranger. Is there any truth to that rumor. [Smile]

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Brad, 4 PSU-1s? Even I'm inclined to think that's overkill. Or are you somehow wiring the outputs in parallel, i.e., two pairs of two?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-25-2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On CP200's it can be made a lot quieter if the MPU runs of a seperate PS than the main processor

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The auditorium is approximately 24 x 26.

I'll post some pictures of the CDS system.

The Aux units are a coveted item for CP200s. There weren't many made and they are extremely hard to come by. For awhile I was going to use it as a modified EX decoder, but ended up with an SA10. Currently it is a backup and also serves to hold a spare set of cat64B cards in the event someone wants to come in and rent the room who wants to do their own tuning. (Got that handy trick from John F. Allen.) Since all of the wiring comes into the rack right behind the spare Aux unit, there really isn't any other piece of equipment that could've been mounted there anyway. It's either store it there, or put up a blank panel. The same goes for the other racks, as I am adamant about spooling up an extra 10-15 feet of speaker leads at the bottom of the racks in the event I ever need a little bit longer stretch for a future upgrade.

Yes there are 4 power supplies. Two run the CP200, the third runs the MPU, the fourth is a spare. If anything goes wrong on a show, I can be back up in 15 seconds.

An HTPC is commonly called a "home theater personal computer". It processes and upconverts video images for the DLP. It also has a DVD drive in it so I can play DVDs straight off of it if desired.

The screen is a Harkness Microperf Spectral 2000. It is the best screen surface I have ever seen anywhere. Highly recommended.

New building construction.

If critics wanted to make the drive outside of Dallas, they are certainly welcome. Some studio people have been over to do some film inspections before they charged a theater for damaged film.

It is used less and less with my schedule, but a few times a month assuming you are just talking about me.

Projectionist training seminars would probably be best suited at an actual multiplex where more of a "real world" scenario could be had.

There is no popper, but when the time comes it is added, there will be no stinkin' canola oil.

There is no such person as Cordell Walker Texas Ranger, although we have kicked Chuck Norris out of the screening room before. He tried to fight, but he is just too much of a wimp.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-25-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be still my heart. Brad said:

"There is no such person as Cordell Walker Texas Ranger, although we have kicked Chuck Norris out of the screening room before. He tried to fight, but he is just too much of a wimp."

I bet the next thing he will tell me that Hayes Cooper
wasn't one of the original Texas Rangers.

Why even our film-tech friends in Europe and Great Britain know of the exploits of the revered"H.C."

Matter of fact, Phil Hill had a crush on Alex Cahill note the similarities in the name. [Eek!] [beer]

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Awesome auditorium and booth you have there! But I wonder why so much speaker power? You probably chose JBL4675 to have a THX-compliant installation (plus the huge subwoofers) but for such a small auditorium, wouldn't the THX-certified JBL3678 screen system have been sufficient?

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 02:20 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

This screening room it's absolutly terryfic ! I'm really impressed.
Just some questions:

-I'm surprised that the wall between the both and the auditorium is so thin. I mean only two layers of "fibro-cement" (sorry I dont know the right term in English) and one layer of wollrock are suffiscent in case of fire.
For example in Switzerland and most European countries, the wall must be 20 cm ±0,7 feets tickness. And the wall muss resist fo 90 minutes if is exposed to the fire.

What are the local requirements in United States for this part of an screening room ?

I was surprised too that the wall carpet is installed before cutting the wall to instalt the port window. How did you to not be disturbed by the dust ?

A verry nice equipement, and a nice auditorium. Congratulations !

If you don't seal Pop-Corn, may I take a KFC fried chicken to eat during the show ? [Big Grin]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Michel Grin,

The Film-Tech screening room is in Brad Miller's home. There are no codes written for home screening rooms. Brad has complied with all he knows about building codes for commercial installations, but no enforcement officer is going to look at his screening room. That is unless he is a neighbor and invited over to watch a film.

I believe on his house plans that room was listed as a second garage or a hobby room.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-26-2003 03:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Brad made the room as absolutely flammable as possible just to spite real theater fire codes which drive him nuts. [Smile]

Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad's screening room is indeed fantastic!!! It sure beats his last setup with projector and sound racks in the kitchen. I can't figure out is where the IMAX projector will be installed. Also, how could any screening room be complete without 8mm and 16mm projectors? [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-26-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3678 is not a great speaker...it's response is actually rather poor since it's horn can't go low enough in frequency range.

For a "high-end" THX approved speaker of "appropriate" size, the JBL 5671 would be the preferred choice.

If you want a two-way version, use the JBL 4670D-HF combined with the 5671's LF cabinet (I think it is called the 5641)...then you will have a small 2-way system with proper drivers and response. However, with the small horn you should shift the crossover up to 800Hz since the small horn has no pattern control. So for better pattern control you would get the JBL 4675C-HF (large horn) and put it on the 5641 LF (single 15" cabinet). But...you will loose about 5Hz of LF response as compared to the 4675....so you are back to the 4675!

If it were me...I'd probably use the 5671 but there isn't a damn thing wrong with the 4675.

Steve

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great points given..............ah.......now only to see the photos.

Paul--

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: