Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kodak Film Used for All Best Cinematography Nominees

Author Topic: Kodak Film Used for All Best Cinematography Nominees
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROCHESTER, NY, Feb. 24 -- Every motion picture nominated for an Academy Award in a major creative category for 2002 was captured on color motion-picture film from Eastman Kodak Company. This marks the 75th consecutive year -- since the inception of the Academy Awards in 1927-28 -- that the Oscar for Best Picture will go to a movie captured on Kodak film. [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-26-2003 02:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak is a monopoly. They need to be sued and split up into many many smaller companies. Many employees need to lose their jobs. It is the American way. [Smile]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 08:52 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They would have done that already, but they could not afford cloning John Pytlak because every company needs one. [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuji and Agfa are worthy competitors. Of course I personally think Kodak makes the best film. [Cool]

In other areas of the imaging business, there are numerous competitors:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/infoImaging/

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-26-2003 09:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
FilmGuard was used on EVERY mojor motion picture released last year. Beat that! [Big Grin] [Razz] [beer]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 10:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So were Kodak PTR film cleaners, both in labs and in theatres. [Cool]

BTW, Kodak has been honored with the 2003 EPA Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award for the development of Particle Transfer Roller (PTR) film cleaning technology. As project leader, and having written the two SMPTE papers that introduced the technology, I travel to Washington D.C. in April to receive the award.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-26-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you be sure that they were ALL Kodak PTRs though? Some people may have been using Speco and a certain release may have never seen a genuine Kodak PTR (athough I don't know how Kodak's could be superior or inferior to Speco's).

Filmguard does not destroy the ozone layer so it should be honored as well. Now that I think about it, the keyboard that I am typing this on does not destroy the ozone either. It deserves the same award.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-26-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But which was used on more prints?  -

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-26-2003 10:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And more importantly, which prints looked BEST at the end of the run? No contest. [Razz]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 10:26 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But which can be used to clean original negatives, on printers and on telecines? [thumbsup]

The EPA Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award is because Kodak PTRs eliminated the use of chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents (1,1,1-trichloroethane)for film cleaning. BTW, in my SMPTE papers, Kodak ENCOURAGED other manufacturers to make and use PTRs as well.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-26-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
(I think most of us knew the real reasons regarding the ozone award, but hey it's fun anyway!)

Speaking of trichlourethane, are you aware there is a fellow who claims to be selling the original mixture of Vitafilm? He also claims it cures vinegar syndrome.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 05:53 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although the manufacture of new 1,1,1-trichloroethane (methyl chloroform) is prohibited by the Montreal Protocol environmental agreement, existing stocks can be used and recycled. So some film cleaning formulations may still use it.

BTW, Speco uses the Kodak (FPC) PTRs in their units. Most IMAX theatres use the Kodak PTRs as well.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-27-2003 06:58 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want you to know that I saw every major motion picture made last year on Kodak stock with film-guard. Beat that

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: