Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Where the HECK is my W2 ?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where the HECK is my W2 ??
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O.K. Here is the problem and a question...

Problem ...I have not recieved my W2 yet. I have contacted the Home office and have also asked the Manager to also contact them to request them to send me another W2. As of now, I have not recieved the W2 from them.

Question ....Should I report them to the IRS? Some people I ask have said it would be really bad on my part if I did report them.. others say...REPORT THEM!

What the HECK is your Opinion??

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is:
Do you want to pay the Late filing penalty fee?
If you can't get a straight answer then sickem boy.
My .002 cnets worth.

P.S. Checked with my sources and they said that Joe R. has your W2.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-26-2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the law says they have to be postmarked by 1/31. If you haven't received it yet, it's possible it was lost - and the company may have fulfilled its obligation.

Regardless, you should at least be able to request a replacement.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-26-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the instructions with the 1040 form. I'm pretty sure that you don't actually need a W2 form if you have a pay stub from around 12/31 which shows "year to date" pay.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't W-2's required by law to be sent out by Jan 31st?

I would call the home office, ask for the payroll supervisor (be sure to get the name). Explain the situation. Ask them to please promptly send you a replacement. Be sure to ask them WHEN it will go in the mail. The day after that date, call that person again and say in a friendly way you're just checking to make sure the W-2 has gone out so you will know to be looking for it. Basically you just need to get this bubbled up to the top of that person's to-do list.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should be able to generate you a copy of the W2 if they have "fulfilled thier obligation" and you can note that it is a copy on the tax form 1040(a), whatever.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would ask to company and your manager again for it.
Because I hate getting a letter, months later from the
[evil] [evil] IRS [evil] [evil] saying the company
reported my income, and I owe more money. [Mad]

When I work on the extra board, one year I had 25 [Eek!]
of those damn things. Plus 1099's from studio work.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-26-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Official IRS Info on lost or missing W-2's.

If you can't get it straightened out in time you can simply file a Form 4852 Substitute for a Missing Form W-2 and indicate the source of the data was your last paystub of 2002.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More Background info...

Most (if not all) of my mail goes to a Post Office Box, the only "mail" that goes to my house is the supermarket ads and basicaly junk mail stuff. The address on my paychecks and I would assume, on my W2, would be my home address. I asked the Mailman if he remembers seeing a W2 come to the house, he said he doesn't remember one. I called the Home office and talked to the Payroll lady who said that if it comes back to the office, she would send it out to me again. The following week I called again and she said that they have a new Payroll system and that it could be "weeks" before they could generate a "new" W2. I called her again yesterday, but she did not return my call.

Thanks for the reply's so far..Please keep them coming..

Paul Goulet

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
W.....2.....What?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 05:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each year, employers must provide a report of employee earnings to both the IRS, and the employee, via IRS Form W-2. The form also includes how much was withheld for federal & state income taxes, Social Security, etc. Individuals need the W-2 form to complete their annual tax return. (IRS = Internal Revenue Service, the federal organization that collects our wonderful income taxes for the gvt.)

Rick Stowell
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Rick Stowell   Email Rick Stowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a former bean counter, I strongly recommend calling the home office and talking to the payroll people. They keep copies and can fax one to you in a minute. Reporting them won't get you your W-2 any quicker, and will only piss people off and get somebody in trouble. Keep your goal in mind: to get my W-2. With my staff, someone loses their W-2 every year, so I make a copy and get it to them. Good luck!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-27-2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
generate you a copy of the W2 if they have "fulfilled thier obligation"
Why sure, if they've sent it out by the 31st, that's all they're required to do. If you don't receive it for whatever reason, it's not the employers fault.

However, if they didn't send it to begin with, they're in deep.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically the employer sends the W2's and a summarizing form called a W3 to the Social Security Administration. But of course this data is shared with the IRS as the two agencies like to gossip.

Most businesses (and their IT services) send out a substitute W2 of their own design which is acceptable as long as it provides the necessary info. This is allowed as they are sending the info the SSA via electronic means. If wish to turn in paper W2's (and W3) as I do you have to use the actual IRS form (not one you download and print) because the top copy...the one that goes to SSA...is printed in red ink which is ignored by their OCR scanners. This (and Forms 1099/1096) constitute my annual use of an actual typewriter.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 11:05 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GOOD NEWS! [thumbsup]

When I went to work tonight, The manager had my W2 for me. It was sent from the Home Office on Thursday to the theatre, which just baffles me because I asked that it be sent to my house. Everything that is sent to me from the home office is either misplaced or opened before I get it..But that is another rant for another day..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: