Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Nevada Considers Taxing Prostitutes

Author Topic: Nevada Considers Taxing Prostitutes
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-26-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not making this up. When I read it, I don't know if I should laugh or what. Here are some excerpts of the news article:

"Business is good," says ******* ******.

So good that several influential Nevada lawmakers think the industry should do more than fulfill sexual fantasies. With the state facing a deficit of up to $704 million, some legislators want to tax the fees of Nevada prostitutes in what could be the ultimate sin tax.

"Everybody should pay," said Assemblywoman Sheila Leslie, a Reno Democrat. It should be taxed just like any other entertainment."

Brothels and hookers in Nevada - the only state with legal prostitution - are subject to federal income tax on their overall earnings, and have to pay various county taxes and fees. But Nevada has no state income tax.

Some say a state tax on sex acts would further legitimize an industry that many people prefer to keep at arm's length. A state tax could also hurt the small rural counties that depend on revenue from local brothel taxes. And some fear it could drive legal prostitutes underground.

The brothel owners are not particularly enthusiastic, either.

"What are the girls going to do?" asked Geoff Arnold, president of the Nevada Brothel Association. "Have a calculator in the room? The girls aren't the best at math."
Anyway, I am laughing. Maybe the State of Nevada should "charge by the mileage" or "put a meter on it." [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-26-2003 11:25 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Geee, Paul, that is almost as disgusting as the message I got from the IRS when I was researching the tax laws this year....

-

>>> Phil

[ 02-27-2003, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Daryl C. W. O'Shea ]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-27-2003 06:53 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geee Phil, [eyes]

According to that letter from the I.R.S. you wrote it to yourself. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 10:26 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Sheila Leslie charges tax?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a resident of the state of Nevada I will quote Dr. Emmitt Brown from "Back to the Future" fame:

"Damn"
<pause>
"Damn, Damn"

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-27-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Not just to myself... all male taxpayers... [Big Grin]

I usually use my name or some other identifier, like my birthday, in the stuff I write cuz it's fun to see how long it takes to make the internet rounds when it gets emailed to me.... and from who & where. Oh, and what may have been changed. [evil] [beer]

>>> Phil

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they certainly have little else that they can tax in Nevada.....
Mark

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 07:55 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob...

Phil is coppying me, I do think that I posted it eons ago in the joke forum... [Big Grin] [Razz] [beer] [sex]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-27-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be Will.... I based it on a 1971 joke memo from memory. I'm sure the original was NOT as fancy as mine. [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-27-2003 09:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll never know. I received the 'same' one, mailed to me (as in posted), about 7 years ago on actual (replicated) Revenue Canada letterhead.

Bob Maar

- posted 02-27-2003 10:03 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right let's end this. I saw this back in the early 50's but at that time it ended at 12 inches did not include "and above".

Since I was well above that size, I knew it wasn't meant for me.

So, therefore I use to have to take the solution in hand. [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-27-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on Bob! I 1st saw that 3 years before I was born.... It came to me in a past life before I was re-incarnaded as an ass. [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Bob Maar

- posted 02-27-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok , Phil I will come now, however in 1950 you were never an ass, maybe a D-O-N-K-E-Y but never an ass.

Phil, now that you are a senior citizen, you really must begin to get serious like me.

Next time you see someone you don't know. Walk right up to him/her and say: "Have a nice Day!"

But, after you have said this to him/her, to yourself in your minds eye say to yourself (so no one hears you) "Asshole"
[Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-27-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laughin' my ass off here Bob! [Eek!]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-28-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Bob, you must have read my mind when dealing with some of my.... Ummmm more "stuborn" clients. I've sent in a pic of my alter-ego, when I'm alone and releasing my ahhhh.... frustrations. [evil]

Hopefully it will be in rotation with my other pics...

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: