Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windows software

Author Topic: Windows software
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 08:14 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for information on computer software. I am doing my class project in college and I am building a virtual computer. I want this computer to be a electronioc computer workbench. I see that there is windows software for Oscilloscope out there, and I am looking for any other software that is also out there. I am going to research all the software and build the computer to meet the requirements of the software and include a electronic workbench so circuits can be designed and tested on it. I was told that there is even USB probes for sale so as to use the computer as a multi-meter. Any and all leads and information would be great.
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-27-2003 08:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, please make sure you have the legitimate licensed software (including the OEM number and Product ID code) whether it be for MS-DOS, Windows, (any version) and any other software you are using.

Authors of the software (including Microsoft) are getting a little horny about it.

In other words, don't use bootlegged or "your buddy's copy" of the software to perform your idea.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-27-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly sure what you're looking for here, so:

Here's a link to Electronics Workbench. Multisim would get you started. Their add-on products are great for PCB layouts if you don't have enough spare time to fight with it yourself.

I've heard of USB multimeters, but have never seen one. You could also build your own from a few IC's...

For Windows based scopes, like SpectraPLUS, I'd recommend at least a PIII 800Mhz machine. Personally I'd go with an Athlon XP 1800+ or something in that family with an MSI KT4 (VIA based) motherboard. It'll definetely kick some arse, and you'll save yourself some money. That is if you actually build the thing... don't know what your term of 'virtual computer' is. Mine term is something you CAN use.

As for software, I _hate_ it when people pirate software I wrote. At least they could send me an email and let me know they stole it (so that I can attack their server in retaliation). [evil]

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 10:00 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I will most likely not build it. By virtual I mean on paper only. The class I am taking is required to do a final project and mine is to build what I would consider a good workbench computer. So price is no object. I can plan into this anything I think would make it a great electronic workbench. I hope this clears things up a little. I plan on looking on the internet for info on the different software and hopefully get brochures from the companies. Then I will look at if it works with windows 98 or 2000 or NT. The computer then would be designed to work with the software not buying a compauter and then trying to make the software work. Any software I do happen to get is all licensed to me. I agree that you should have the proper license for the software.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 09:35 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any other ideas of software that is out there.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-01-2003 10:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Protel is one of the leaders in software for schematic capture and PCB layout and contains a very powerfull Spice circuit emulation program
If you want to get a big one the original Spice program is available
Protel has a scaled back version called Circuit Works
Also there is a smaller emulator called MCAP it has a student version as well

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-01-2003 11:06 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matlab and Maple would be handy if you need to do any complex mathematics.

Of course I prefer Maple. [Wink]

Waterloo Maple 8

Adobe Acrobat is also handy if you want to share schematics with people or post / publish them. Printing to a PDF won't let others edit your schematics, but it avoids the cost of them having to purchase your layout software to just be able to view your schematics.

Adobe Acrobat 5

AutoCAD could be handy for designing enclosures, etc. for whatever you are going to make.

Autodesk AutoCAD 2002

Quark's QuarkXPress is great for designing technical manuals or marketing documents for whatever you design.

QuarkXPress 5.0

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: