Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Keeping your laptop alive w/ cover closed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Keeping your laptop alive w/ cover closed
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 11:43 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to prevent my laptop from shutting down when I close the cover? (Dell 2650 w/XP) When I'm on a airplane, I want to listen to music with headphones, but there's very little room for everything. I was hoping I could, say, close the laptop and stuff it in the seat pocket in front of me, so the tray is clear for my 7&7, book, etc.

BTW, a friend had those Bose noise canceling headphones, and they are really cool. If you put them on without any signal, then power them on, you'ed think you just went deaf... it's the weirdest feeling. Very much suggested for noisy airplanes.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-27-2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the power management settings under the control panel (or in the video properties). Most models will not let you run in the 'awake' state with the display closed due to heat build up.

Even on some models (from all manufacturers) that don't automatically suspend / hibernate / shutdown, not suspending / hibernating / shutting down the system can cause damage to the processor or severely shorten the total lifespan, not just the current charge, of the battery.

BTW, where can you buy these noise cancelling head-phones, and can they filter out annoying people or the public in general. [Wink]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:05 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Daryl, I'll check... I don't think any cooling goes through the exposed area when the cover's open... there's a big fan in the back...

For the headphones, look at : www.bose.com

They really work. Quieted a crying baby; this kid would not shut up the whole flight. Thank god, or I'd have to kill myself or something. It needs two AA batteries. They're not cheap: $300. Bose won't let anyone discount them, so that's the real price. They come with an adapter kit which allows you to plug into most airline headphone sockets, and the usual 1/4", 1/8", 1/16" plugs.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:44 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if there are no visable 'spots' for heat radiation, heat does escape through the actual keyboard itself (even with a rear system fan).

The Compaq Armada series had the biggest problem with this due to the 'friction contact' they used for the keyboard. The connector just 'rubbed' up against the motherboard instead of locking into a connector. With the display closed the keyboard heated up and flexed enough to move the 'connector' enough that the keyboard would stop functioning.

I know that many of the Dell laptops are designed to cool through the keyboard as well. Most notably the Latitude X200 -- you could cook on its keyboard if you cover the keyboard for more than a few minutes.

AND thanks for the Bose link. I was wondering who manufactured these since they were first brough up in the 'loud booth' thread. I think I'll buy an Aviation Headset. A 350 horsepower full-time supercharged 6-cylinder Lycoming on individual straight pipes is one loud beast to be flying behind, even with a top of the line David Clark headset.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:49 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I do drive and own a car, I have been using Honolulu's excellent transit system a lot when I need to go to the city to visit my photo lab or see a movie at the Ward 16 or the Waikiki IMAX. Although our transportation system has excellent late model buses in their fleet, it is just as noisy as airplanes. Since I travel by bus to the city at least two or three times a week and fly frequently to the neighbor islands and a occasional trip to the mainland, I invested $300.00 and bought a Bose noise cancelling headset last May and I just love it! If you have a Bose store in your area, you can buy one there because they keep a lot in stock due to their popularity. If not, you can order one online. Bose is very good about their customer service. After a very generous period of time, you decide you do not want the headset anymore, they will give you a full refund with no question asked. When they made the offer, I told them that the only way I will part with my headset is if they try to pry it off my cold dead hand. [Smile] If you fly or ride the bus as often as I do, the Bose headsets is what you need!

-Claude

[ 02-28-2003, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-28-2003 01:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bose needs to design that headset into an acoustical car system to block out road noise and more importantly, that wanna be phiggidy 17 year old kid with his 50,000 watt car stereo playing rap music.

(Stupid Bose site doesn't work with Opera. Oh well, their loss.)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should buy this one Brad. You could wear it while shootin' stupid customers and non-phiggidy 17 year-olds with 80,000 watt sound systems that roll off before 8Hz (at least they could do it right). [Smile]

(Stupid Bose site doesn't work without Java (not Opera). Stupid Bose -- damn Java, stupid SUN...)

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 04:19 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dell 2600 w/XP.

Is there away that I can close the lid but not enter StandBye but still turn the monitor off? I want to close the lid, but I dont want the modem to turn off every time!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 04:30 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could check the power management settings, but I think the only two options it'll give you are Standby and Shutdown... maybe hibernate.

Assuming your only using the internet in one location, you need to get yourself highspeed access and a 'home' Cable/DSL router, so that you could suspend the system and stay connected.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 04:39 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between Hibernation & Stand Bye?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 04:52 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standby powers down components capable of re-starting without a total system reboot. Which in a laptop, and most modern systems, is nearly everything. The system ram still runs at full power and the processor runs at a reduced clock speed to consume less power.

Hibernatation saves the contents of the ram to the hard drive in a file (hiberfil.sys) reserved by the operating system. No compression is used since you could never compress the data to the same amount of space each time. Thus the file is the same size as the amount of ram in the system. So if you have 1GB of ram, 1024MB's (1GB) will be 'taken up' on your hard drive, even if you never use hibernate but have it enabled. Not to mention the 7% of your drive already taken up by the NTFS allocation table.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is all confusing to me...

I close my computer's lid and it goes to sleep. I open it again and it works again. The transition takes, literally 5 seconds. I know this because, just this second, I closed the lid and counted how long it took to wake up again.

When the lid on my computer closes, the sleep mode is activated by a small magnet embedded inside the frame around the screen. There's a reed switch in the bottom, near the keyboard. I don't know if there's a way to prevent the computer from sleeping when the lid's closed. Maybe slipping a piece of Mu metal in there?

I don't think I'd want to trick the computer that way. Like other's said, the computer dissipates heat through the keyboard. Mine, doesn't have a fan. It's cooled 100% by convection. It gets warm but not too hot unless you block the air vents on the side/back of the computer. Then it gets a bit uncomfortable but still not burning hot. I just make it a point to use the computer on a good solid surface so the vents don't get blocked. If I'm on a sofa or a bed I'll place a book underneath to keep the computer on a solid surface. It's easier to type on a surface like that when there's something solid underneath, anyway.

If your machine has a fan, then maybe it'd be okay. I dunno' but I imagine the fan would blow out some of the heat. The only other thing is that the heat may affect the LCD screen. I have heard tales of that happening but I don't know if they are just Urban Legends.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 11:00 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, John Walsh originally wanted to use his laptop to play CDs while traveling on an airplane. He'd like to close the lid for protection, yet still have it play the CD's. It looks like the cooling issues and battery drain make a portable CD player look like a better option.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the all-time BEST thing for music when travelling is an iPod!

With a 10 GB hard drive inside you can store enough songs on there to listen for almost a WEEK and STILL have room to store your address book, appointment calendar and some data files!

They also work great for when you have to go to the dentist!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but can you pirate movies with an iPod? If not, they are worthless. They need to come out with a iPirateMoviesPod.

[Smile] [Big Grin] [bs]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: