Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cinerama returns to Seattle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Cinerama returns to Seattle
Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 04:05 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This week, starting Friday the 28th, the Seattle Cinerama is holding a Cinerama Festival. Four films will be featured: How the West Was Won (new print) This is Cinerama (new print) Search for Paradise (questionable print) and Windjammer (also a questionable print).
We did several tests today including a run of the first part of How The West Was Won and it look great. There's still some minor tweaking to be done, but all in all I think the techs and booth people did OK.
Too bad alot of you will be whooping it up in Vegas this week and proably won't get the chance to see this.
I'm happy to be part of this as I haven't run 3 panel Cinerama since about 1958.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-28-2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! [thumbsup] Be sure to take / send in lots of pictures! [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:03 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,

The original three strip Cinerama was a double system using a seperate reel of magnetic tape (on film base?) for the sound that was 35mm in width. I am sure the system will still be the same. What I would like to know is if the new sound track has been treated with Dolby noise reduction either with 'A' or SR?
You said, "HOW THE WEST WAS WON" is a new print. Is it a dye transfer or regular Eastman color print?

-Claude

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 12:11 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinerama:

http://www.cinerama.com/

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcr1.htm

http://www.cineramaadventure.com

AFAIK, any new prints will be on Kodak VISION Color Print Films, likely from Crest National Labs:

http://www.cineramaadventure.com/crestindex.htm

http://www.crestnational.com

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 05:35 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it a dye transfer or regular Eastman color print?

Eastman. Technicolor is not currenty making dye-transfer prints, having put their equipment on "hiatus."

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 10:01 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude
From the looks of the print it is Eastman. In fact I noticed some of the scenes appeared to be a bit washed out.
The sound reel is non Dolby. Not sure what the track is as I'm working the Abel booth and the sound dubber is in the Charley booth.
By the way the first showing tonight of How The West Was Won was a sell out.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-28-2003 10:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinerama soundtrack is recorded on regular 35mm mag fullcoat, just like printmasters for current releases. I doubt that NR would make much of a difference, as the format sounds quite good anyway, and the 1950s recordings suffer from the limitations of the recording technology as well as deterioration of existing elements over time (not that the sound is "bad"--just that it is sub-optimal by today's standards).

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"HOW THE WEST WAS WON" is my favorite Cinerama film and I envy everyone who has the opportunity to see it again or for the first time in the original three strip version. By the way, "HTWWW" and the other MGM Cinerama film that preceded it, "THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM ran through the projector at the standard 24fps compared to all of the other Cinerama films that ran at 30fps. I have never seen a side by side comparison of films projected at the two speeds. Is there a big difference between the two? I would think that the faster projection speed would reduce flicker but by how much?

-Claude

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 12:41 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To bad that system didn't become mainstream as we all would have a complex job. Can you imagine a multiplex full of this stuff, a 20 screen per say [Big Grin]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ran through the projector at the standard 24fps compared to all of the other Cinerama films that ran at 30fps.
All other Cinerama films (and Cinemiracle, and, I assume, Kinopanorama) ran at 26 fps. I assume you're mixing up the original Todd-AO (Oklahoma, Around the World in 80 Days) with Cinerama.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-01-2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Paul

I read a paper by a Cinerama historian in The Perfect Vision magazine many years ago on MGM reasons for wanting both of their story line Cinerama features to be shot at 24 FPS because of their intent to also show the films in standard theatres in 35mm and single strip 70mm. The article stated that all other Cinerama films were shot and projected at 30 fps. Yes, I know "OKLAHOMA" was shot in 65mm TODD AO at 30 fps and in 35mm CinemaScope at 24 fps. "AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS" on the other hand was photographed in 65mm Todd AO simultaneously at both 24 fps and 30 fps.

-Claude

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Claude. All original Cinerama documentaries were shot and projected at 26fps. My statement reflects ALL technical and historical documentation. And if you want to get REAL technical, Todd-AO was defined as a 30fps process when Around the World in 80 Days was shot. The 24fps 65mm version shot was specifically for making 35mm Cinestage (the name given for the 1.56 squeeze 35mm format prints). I'm splitting hairs here. Because by the standards of the following Todd-AO film, South Pacific, one could go back and call the 24fps version of Around the World in 80 Days as being shot in Todd-AO.

BTW, there are a number of non-synch sound shots from the 30fps Todd-AO camera that were used for BOTH the 24fps Cinestage (and eventually, Cinemascope) and 30fps Todd-AO version.

[ 03-01-2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Paul Linfesty ]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 07:13 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

Paul is right...documentaries at 26 and story films at 24. In Dayton, John Harvey ran both at 25 and it didn't seem to cause a problem.

But this brings up and interesting question...what about the trailers for HTWWW and GRIMM. Were they 26 or 24? I'm pretty sure HTWWW had a trailer, but was there one for GRIMM?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In Dayton, John Harvey ran both at 25 and it didn't seem to cause a problem.
I THINK I read that the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood is also using the 25fps fits all concept.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-01-2003 10:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What really saddens me about the whole thing is that no one has yet to install an entire projection system correctly. A solid sheet at the dome, a strip screen that blows in the HVAC air at Seattle, and bad cross reflection in Dayton, and not one place running the prints at the correct speed. Its fun to go see this format, but would someone please do it right for once.......Better projection pays for this format too!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: