Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie Trailer to Promote Upcoming DVD Release (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movie Trailer to Promote Upcoming DVD Release
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 12:11 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click Here

Now the Film Studios are going to get into advertising. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-28-2003 12:55 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy. [Frown]

This is like handing theatre owners a bottle marked "poison" and asking them to take a swig.

Looks like it isn't going to be a uniform attachment/enclosure. Several movies were mentioned, but the article also said that only 900 screens are scheduled to play the trailer. Regal and NCN were mentioned as key players in this deal.

But here's a thought: We're not a Regal theatre and we don't have any deals with NCN. I wonder if we'd be REQUIRED to run the trailer if it happened to come along with one of our prints of those movies..?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-28-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already i've seen rolling stock for "The Mummy Disc Set" and "ET: Special Edition.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 02:15 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal promoted the DVD release of Steven Spielberg's revised "ET" not too long ago in theatres and that did not bother me at all. I doubt very much that studios will promote almost every mainstream films that are coming out on DVD. I think the promotion will be only for very popular titles that did very well in theatres. It also might not be a bad idea for studios to promote a DVD for a film that did not do very well in theatres that they had spent a lot of money to produce. A classic example is "WINDTALKER" that cost MGM about a hundred million to produce but only earned only about a quarter of that in theatres. MGM has already released a DVD that did well but they will be releasing a special three disc edition in a few months that I am sure they will promote with theatrical advertisments.

-Claude

Richard Miller
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for Richard Miller   Email Richard Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question is why do they think this will help the sales of DVDs. Don't most people already know about a DVDs release. If they don't, they will the next time they are in the store. The companies spending money on these trailers that "promote" DVD sales are in actuality probably losing money. If I want the Die Another Day DVD I will buy it regardless of whether I see an ad or not.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 11:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I want the Die Another Day DVD I will buy it regardless of whether I see an ad or not.
That's the whole purpose of the ad. To make those that don't want to buy it feel inadequate until they do. I mean, look at all the MONEY that movie made at the box office!! Don't you want to own a copy of this movie that made so much MONEY??

It's funny that some people think they actually have self-control when it comes to consumerism. (And I don't mean you personally, Richard) But the majority of people that say, "I won't buy such-and-such just because of the commercial!" see some funny or amazing nonsense promoting some stupid product and say, "Wow! That was an awesome commercial! Pringles is cool." On the next trip to the store, they buy pringles.

Commercials try to form emotional attatchments between people and products. It's these emotional ties that the companies rely on for brand loyalty and product longevity. It's what gets people to write to the companies proclaiming how their life would be incomplete without the said product, and they do. Remember the New Coke fiasco in the 80's? People wrote in with comments like, "The only things I had in my life were Jesus and Coca-Cola. Now you have taken one of those from me." [Roll Eyes]

You're NOT FULLY CLEAN unless you're Zest fully clean!
Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?
You GOTTA eat Checkers!
...and remember, our product ALWAYS works BETTER than the "leading brand"!

[puke] on Madison Avenue!!
Gotta love Marketing class! [Smile]
=TMP=

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-01-2003 11:22 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pringles suck for the same reason I like popcorn straight out of the popper.

Has Regal got their video projection ad network together yet?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-01-2003 12:31 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand, video advertising should be fully online by the end of the summer in all markets. Ours is going in this month!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems kind of self-destructive to show ads for DVDs in theaters, since theaters are already losing business to them. How bout a tag at the very end of the movie saying "If the presentation sucked, you can buy this movie on DVD in a couple months and see it perfectly at home, provided you know how to set up your equipment" [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Careful there Thomas. That Coke scare in the 80s was pretty serious. "New Coke" sucked. Even when "Coke classic" was supposedly returned to us, it wasn't the same. Still, you don't want to be around me if I have been deprived of my Coke! (Of all the addictions out there, Coke isn't too bad.)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-01-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Momma says Coke is the devil!

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-01-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, don't trust everything your Momma tells you.

I'm proud to have flunked the Pepsi Chalenge.

Pepsi Employees coment to me: "Well, not everyone can be perfect."
Yeah. That realy makes me want to go buy your product. [Roll Eyes]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2003 10:49 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad -- "New Coke" was just a marketing ploy. Genius marketing, if you ask me...

Come out with a new product. Everybody tries it, so you have booming sales. Now there are TWO cokes! How will Pepsi compete, right? 85% don't like it. 85% start screaming. National press coverage, the topic of every news show, four minutes on live national network TV, an interview with the president, and publicity you couldn't buy if you tried. What next? Bring BACK the old coke! Re-release the SAME product! Nationwide buzz again. Coke is BACK and now it's called COKE CLASSIC! YAY!

The result: Everything's back to normal, sales are up, and thanks for the unfathomable free advertizing! [Smile]

=TMP=

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 01:43 AM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, you're confusing the matter. New Coke did not cause a surge in sales, especially not by having two products on the market, since the old formula was simultaneously withdrawn.

Here's what happened:

• In the early 1980s, Pepsi was rapidly gaining market share.
  • The Pepsi Taste Challenge (and Coca-Cola's own market research), showed that in a blind taste test, people tend to prefer Pepsi to Coke.
  • Coke decides to strike back with a new formula.
  • Coke and New Coke would then have aggregate market share greater than Pepsi. HOWEVER, the market for Coke would be split, and neither Coke nor New Coke would individually outsell Pepsi.
  • Coke decided not to hand Pepsi this marketing advantage. The original Coke formula was withdrawn at the same time that the new Coke formula was introduced.
  • People go nuts because of their perceived preference for Coke. All through the frenzy, both Pepsi and Coke studies show that people prefer the new Coke to Pepsi, and Pepsi to the old Coke.
  • Coke introduces Coke Classic and renames the new Coke formula to New Coke.
Conspiracy theories include:
  • Coke made a brilliant marketing move.
  • Coke wanted to abrogate contracts with its bottlers that were 100 years old and contained some very unfavorable terms.
  • Coke was trying to surreptitiously remove the sugar from Coke and replace it with high-fructose corn syrup.
The first is the most widely-held conspiracy theory. But remember that Pepsi had NEVER before challenge Coke on the taste. Pepsi was always the underdog, going bankrupt twice in its history. In the 1940s, Pepsi challenged Coke on price (twice as much for a nickel). In the 1960s, Pepsi pushed the "alternative" (rebellious) nature of Pepsi. Only in the 1970s did it start its taste test. Some will say Coke couldn't have been so stupid as to think that people will accept a reformulation, but Coke never before had to fear an inferior formula.
Even today, most Americans prefer Pepsi over Coke in the tastebuds (though some will vehemently deny it), but Coke is preferred over Pepsi in the heart.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 02:12 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rolling stock advertising DVD releases have a pretty good track record.

Mummy Box set
E.T.
Back to the Future
Dragonfly- which went on to sell way too many copies and was one of the best titles in the rental market last year, and it only did marginal busness in theatres.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: