Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Leeping Lizards, gas prices has risen 8 cents in a week! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Leeping Lizards, gas prices has risen 8 cents in a week!
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paid $198.9 for a gallon of premium unleaded gas about a week ago and today, the price is $2.06.9. Just about a Eight cents increase. The price for this same gas was only $1.85.9 only a few months ago and today, it's cost has increased twent one cents per gallon and the war with Iraq has not even started yet. I would not be surprised if the price is more than $3.00 by the time the war with Iraq is settled. I do know that Film Tech members outside of the USA pay much more than we do here in America but I am sure gas prices is also increasing at the very same level as the United States. Thank God, I am now using our public transportation system for many of my long trips to the city of Honolulu several times a week as I had mentioned on another thread. If I only drove and not catch a bus, I would need to top my 13 gallon tank at least once a week. Right now a full tank lasts me almost two weeks.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 03:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around $2.05/gal for premium here in Eugene

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 03:27 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sent Premium Unleaded going for $2.13, here in Manhattan.
I use the subway to get anywhere here in town. Subway is $1.50
as of now, but may go up to $2.00. If MTA get the OK. I'm glad
I did have a car in this city. I would be paying $275-$350 a
month for parking my SUV. The parking garages around here
charge an extra fee, if you have a SUV/Truck/Expensive Sports
car. That extra fee can be [Eek!] $50.00 to $100.00 over the regular monthly rate. I live in mid-town, two blocks away from work.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Here in Honolulu, a monthly bus pass cost $27.00 and is unlimited. Honolulu's national award winning transit system services the entire island of Oahu with very reliable service and if you like, it is possible to take around the island trips every day for the price of the pass. In a year and a half at age 65, I will be eligiable for a senior citizen pass for $30.00 and good for two years. I have estimated that if I drove into the city, the cost of gas and wear and tear of my car will be roughly close to $10.00 per trip. The only time I drive into the city is when I have a photographic assingment or have to transport large items. The usual gear I take with me in my backpack when I take a bus is reading materials including magazines and technical manuals, a Gameboy Advance with some puzzle games like Tetris, a Sony Sports MD and a CD player with discs, a Bose noise cancelling headset and snacks. I love the bus because it beats driving through hectic afternoon traffic.

-Claude

[ 03-01-2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude

We have a monthly pass also. I think it's like $32-36 a month,
it's good on the subway and the bus. There is a week pass for
$14.00 which is unlimited use, and a day pass for $4.00 which
is good for unlimited use till 2am. I don't know the rates on
the Path trains to Jersey. They can't be that much higher
than NYC.

Bill

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-28-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just done a quick sum at today's exchange rate: $5.97 for an imperial gallon of unleaded at my petrol station. It's gone up about 6-7p (11-13 cents) in the last month or so, I'd guess.

Public transport, however, is a lot worse. A return from York to Newcastle (round trip of 164 miles) works out as follows: my car, 18p per mile; standard class train, 31p per mile; first class train 52p per mile. There are cheaper trains available if you either book in advance and/or don't travel at peak commuter time, but this differential, IMHO, is a key reason why hardly anyone (who is paying for it themselves) goes anywhere near public transport for long-distance travel. Also, bear in mind that those comparisons are only really valid in the case of one person travelling alone. If a group or family is travelling, the cost of going by car stays the same, whilst the cost of going by public transport doubles, triples or quadruples.

That is something the politicians need to do something about if they're going to convince people to leave their cars at home. Personally I'd like to see the fuel taxes spent on R & D on cars that use renewable energy sources rather than being poured down the drain of a fundamentally obsolete form of transport technology such as the railways.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-28-2003 09:22 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't paid less than $2.24.6 USD / gallon for premium gas in over three years. Currently it's about $2.34.9.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-28-2003 10:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$5.97 per gallon? Ouch! [Roll Eyes] Remind me never to drive anywhere in the UK (they drive on the wrong side of the road there, anyway). [Smile]

How much of that $5.97 is the actual cost of the product, as opposed to taxes on the purchase of the product? Part of the difficulty in comparing gas prices in the US is that the taxes vary widely from state to state.

Kenny Thies
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Kenny Thies   Email Kenny Thies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude -

Visited Oahu this past summer. Very beautiful and exciting place to *visit*. I like the open flat fields of Illinois myself. Driving for more than an hour for me is a pleasure.

I remember being there and being stuck in traffic jams on the interstates (I couldn't figure out why Oahu had 3 "interstates" or so they called them) at 10 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon for no apparent reason. Do you know the legend of the "haunted" H-2 interstate?

After awhile, I got the hang of how the roads were laid out, and after 10 days driving around, could find many places myself. I stayed on one of the army bases by Pearl City (it was in a crater). Very nice vacation and saw alot of memorable sites. Would love to go back.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 12:26 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wanted to visit Hawaii.
I would love to tour the island and see the lava flows and stuff. Maybe even get a ticket by Five-O [Smile]
I might even meet up with Claude and get him to teach me to surf. Cowabunga dude!
As far as gas prices ours dropped from a high of $1.59 to $1.54 for regular unleaded today.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-01-2003 04:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: about 80% of what we pay for petrol goes straight to the government. Of that 80%, about three quarters is specifically the fuel duty, with the other quarter being value added tax (VAT), a 17.5% purchase tax which is levied on all goods and services except food, books and a few other things.

I would guess that the actual cost of the petrol - i.e. what the oil company gets - is roughly the same in the UK and the US.

Pete Wolla
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 08:04 AM      Profile for Pete Wolla   Email Pete Wolla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
an imperial gallon is 5 quarts.
the US oil industry is reaping the benifits of war now.without investing in new production.they are keeping existing production up.they remember after the last gulf war prices dropped to depression prices and they had to pay off new investments at dramatically depressed prices.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-01-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, I was a little peeved that gas had gone from $1.499 to $1.699 in the past 2 weeks, now after reading this thread I'm feeling kind of lucky to live here!

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 01:50 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blah ... and I thought that I was getting hosed paying $1.599 / gallon! [Razz]

Of course, having a lengthy commute to work - most of which is highway driving - I'm spending about $40 / week between fuel and tolls, just to transport myself! [Eek!]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-01-2003 02:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenny,

I was very pleased to hear about your trip to Hawaii and how much you had enjoyed yourself. Yes, once you get acclimated to the roads and highways of Oahu, getting around the island is not that difficult. As to the H-2 being haunted, I have not heard anything about that but I did hear about some supernatural happenings on the H-3 between central Oahu and the windward side of the island. There are two types of reports. One having to do with ancient Hawaiian apparitions haunting various parts of the freeway protesting the construction of the highway over sacred Hawaiian temples and ancient burial sites. Another was reports of the spirits of a few construction workers who were killed digging the tunnel in the Koolau mountain that seperates the leeward side from the winward side of Oahu. The military base you mentioned where you stayed sounds like Camp Smith up on Aiea Heights.

Sam.

I would love to teach you how to surf if I know how. Sorry.

Do you know I have not gone swimming in the ocean in years. The last time I remember going into the water to swim must have been when I was still in my teens. I would however be delighted to show you the island whenever you visit Hawaii.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: