Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » If U no hw 2 rd ths U R gr8 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: If U no hw 2 rd ths U R gr8
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 06:48 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the joys of the Internet. You get news that's sloughed off by the old fogies who run TV.

The Daily Telegraph (UK) tells us how a schoolgirl in England began an essay:

My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we used 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 : kids FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc.

[Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-03-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are of a certain age, you may remember the book "CDB"?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-03-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG!!!! OMG!!!!! this iz teh best thread evar!!1!!!!!1!!@ lol
:) :O =D

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! Nothing annoys me more than stupid little kids who write like that on instant messenger. I get my little brothers little friends messaging me and I just say bye because they dont know how to spell or write complete sentences.

The most annoying thing on the planet ----------------------->lololol

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 11:55 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<--- Often likes to point to himself with an arrow when talking about himself on instant messenger.

I also spell things how they shooda bin spelt in the first place to save time wen typing.

Imma go now. L8R. [Razz]

=TMP=

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-05-2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visit a lot of DVD forums and one of the things that really annoy me is when some of the members are too lazy to spell out full titles of films they are talking about. Here are several examples. "JTTCOTE", "TDTESS", "SWIT", "TLOAM". I have abbreviated movie titles here but only after I had spelled out the full title first in the thread. Here is an example------

"Steven Spielberg received a multitude of Academy Award nominations for "THE COLOR PURPLE" but it is the only film I know that did not win a single oscar. Spielberg was highly favored to win the best director award for "TCP" but was passed over because of a rumor that many academy members were envious of his film making success at the time.

By the way, the above abbreviated movie titles are "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH", "THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL", "SOMEWHERE IN TIME" and "THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSANGER".

-Claude

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 01:59 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its one thing to use netspeak in chatrooms where the screen is scrolling quickly you and you need to talk fast. Its an entirely different thing to use it on message boards.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I typically only use abbraviations for movie titles when I'm referring to the title several times in a post or message and I've spelled it out entirely the first time and then it's clear what the abbreviation means. I hate it when people abbreviate phrases and I can't figure out what they mean. USENET postings are typically full of such abbreviations and I know what a few mean, but many I don't.

As for instant messenger programs, I don't mind abbreviations as long as they're clear and unambiguous, since it reduces the amount of time required for the other party to wait for the message to come through. I don't mind "I 8 @ Longhorn 4 dinner last night" in instant messenger, but I wouldn't do that in email. Some abbreviations used in the message that started this thread would not be understood by me, so I wouldn't attempt to go that far with abbreviations. I actually abbreviate very little in IM programs. (the IM abbrevition is an example of good use of abbreviation, since it's clear from context)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-06-2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It actually takes me LONGER to type something like "I 8 @ Longhorn 4 dinner last nite" than "I ate at Longhorn for dinner last night". I have to sit and think how to screw up each word... like replacing "ate" with "8". When I think of the word "ate" I simply do not think of the number for any reason. It also takes me longer to interpret when reading as well. It will be interesting to see how this generation of teens spell when they are out of school and in mainstream society.

Oh well. Spelling isn't required unless you rite for a living. And even then some1 will correct it 4 u.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-06-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It's stupid to abreviate when you don't need to. Once you learn how to type with any level of proficiency (silly spelling mistakes excepted) there's no reason.

Once you know how to type you can almost type faster than you can write.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whadaya mean "almost?" [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-06-2003 09:11 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would actually type a LOT faster than I can write if I didnt' get my mords wixed up all the time! [Big Grin]

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 12:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two that always make me see red are "ppl" and "yu" or "yr".
Nothing else says "Ignore me, I'm an idiot" quite like that.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 09:36 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you've got a good point. I tried typing the sentence with and without the abbreviations. I could type the one without the abbreviations just as quickly. I guess the only times abbreviations should be used is when the buffer size is annoyingly small (like Yahoo status messages -- you have to abbreviate to get your phrases in there sometimes), you're text messaging on a cell phone where typing letters requires a lot of work, or you're repeatedly referring to a several-word title or entity in your text.

For some reason, the abbreviations psychologically seem shorter to type but many of them involve capital letters, numbers, and special characters that require the shift key. I'm by no means a "proper typist", so such things slow me down more than I thought.

If I'm talking to someone on IM that uses abbrevitions, I tend to use them. If they don't, then I tend not to.

My more serious friends don't abbreviate much on IM, but "afk" is one that they used on my several times before I knew that it meant "away from keyboard".

N E way, abbrs. r not as e z 2 type as 1 might think. Try typing sum sents. w&w/o abbrs. & c if there r n e time savings invlvd. n having 2 think of ways 2 abbr. ea. word | phrase on the fly, it wd seem that it reqs. more mental effort 2 do so. It also incrs. the chance of being misinterp.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so George Orwell was right...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: