Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Joan Baez in Concert

Author Topic: Joan Baez in Concert
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 07:02 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, 2 March 2003, Joan Baez gave a wonderful concert at Tucson High School Auditorium at 7:00 p.m.

The concert was put on by KXCI radio and our local media newspapers. Tickets went on sale I believe in November of last year and almost immediately sold out.

Much of the concert was a tribute to Woodie Gutherie. Baez recieved several standing ovations...

Personally, I have mixed feelings concerning "Bush's Oil War", but Baez sumned up her view with the following joke:

Three surgeons are having lunch and are bragging about their accomplishments.

The first doctor tells about how a patient lost all her fingers in an accident. He reattached them all, and the patient is now the greatest concert pianist in the world.

The second doctor tells of his patient...a fellow who lost both his arms and legs in a horrible accident. The doctor reattached all the limbs and the patient is now an Olymphic Champion and one of the best athletes in the world.

The third doctor then brags about his patient...a Texas cowboy who was riding his horse on the range and was hit by a 100 mph freight train. All the doctor had to work with was a cowboy hat and the horse's ass. So the doctor brags about how he "reconstructed" his patient....who is now the President of the U.S.A.!

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Joan Baez was dead.
...maybe that was just her music

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-03-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't she one of those hippie protesters in the 60s? Protest! Protest!

(Greg, that's bad!) [Big Grin]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joan Baez was definitely anti-war. SHe was raised as a Quaker, and was not the hypocrite many so-called anti-war demonstrators were. She has always maintained her dignity in the sanctity of human life, and has said that a left-wing beating is just as bad as a right-wing beating. In this sense she is very apolitical. She said in the 70's she felt some anti-Vietnam protestors were actually pro-Vietcong. She had also stated that she was always uncomfortable with Jane Fonda's photo-op inside a North Vietnamese gunnery. She is a woman of conscience, and it is reflected in her art. A very gifted singer-songwriter. Time has already shown whether Brittney Spears or any of these other "singers" have the ability to still be performing in their sixties.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 09:11 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the concert Joan gave many examples and many anologies of how what she said in the 1960's/1970's still ring true today.

When asked about how she would have handled 9-11, she said that she would have put 10 Nobel prize winners on TV in a forum for a week as a means of finding a peaceful solution.

As a Desert Storm Vet, I have mixed emotions as to what is going on with Saddam and Osama.

First, in order to understand the Arab psyche, one must understand their history...and the history of the Ottoman Empire.

Also, take a look at my post about the history of the mid-east conflict.

On one hand, Arabs do not stand for theft, rape, drugs, murder and the like. But on the other hand they tolorate back-stabbing in business, cruel and inhumane treatment of women, and a total intolorance of other religious beliefs and customs.

Arabs have no sense of loyality to themselves...or to others...Like a politician, their loyality is in the form of $$ and political/religious power, and is forever changing.

They do not have "ordained" religious leaders. Their "religious leaders", and those intrusted with the keeping of holy places are people in the direct bloodline of Mohammad. Consequently, These people, over the centuries, have evolved into large, wealthy despots, who keep the majority population in uneducated serfdom. They also use the mosque as a means of dictating their political agenda in the name of Allah.

For decades, Israel has known how to handle the Arabs, but the world has always said no. Now look at the mess were in!

Saddam should have been taken care of once and for all during Desert Storm....but now we are at it again...not to think that Bush and Cheney are not making some $$ of of this war...not that they are/were oil executives?

A few years ago a friend of mine went to work for Lockheed and was being sent to Saudi. I tried to explain to him what their culture would be like and what to expect...he thought that I was full of [bs] . After being there for a while, he sent me a letter apologizing for not having believed me, and stated that it was even worse than I had described.

For a time, I had some neighbors with whom my parents and I were friendly. The neighbors were a young man, his sister, and her fiance (who was from either Jordan or Saudi)...I forgot which. Anyhow, my Dad had an utter mistrust of Arabs, but suprise, my Dad struck up a friendship with the Arab, who semed to be ok. They were our neighbors for a few years. Then, out of the blue, the Arab concocted a plot to kidnap his fiance and bring her to the mid-east for white slavery purposes. Her and her brother uncovered the plot, and the Arab fled back to the mid-east before the brother could get his hands on him.

I guess Joan Baez said a mouthful last night when she gave her defination of war. "Rich people fighting over land, power and natural resources, and have to have the common person do their fighting for them. Just take the few rich people, put boxing gloves on them, stick them in a ring together, and let them do their own fighting for once!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-03-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Rich people fighting over land, power and natural resources, and have to have the common person do their fighting for them."

Well, that line alone proves she's still brain dead too!! The Iraqi thing is all about freedom and stability...not resources or control. Doesn't she want the Iraqi folk to be free?? Sometimes freedom comes at a high price....it has in the past for the U.S., apparently freedom doesn't matter to her. I'll add her to the dunderhead list along with Martin Sheen, and the guy from Mash that was on TV yesterday.

As for religon, here in the U.S. die hard Mormons don't tolerate that other religons exist either. I always say to them, tell that one to the Pope!

"Saddam should have been taken care of once and for all during Desert Storm....but now we are at it again...not to think that Bush and Cheney are not making some $$ of of this war...not that they are/were oil executives?"

Thats fine but the U.N. decree back then didn't call for us, or anyone else doing that. So be it. What does them being in the oil buisness have to do with us invading Iraq. Its not the oil we're after.....

Mark

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its not the oil we're after.....
Don't count on it.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-04-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but did she sing "What Have They Done To The Rain?"

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2003 02:13 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall Joan Baez, her mother and husband all served long prison sentences, willingly, for matters of conscience.
They refused to compromise with policies and laws they regarded as immoral, and believing in the sanctity of conscience, voluntarily broke the law and paid the price of challenging such laws. This form of responsible protest is in line with the actions of Quakers, suffragettes, Ghandi, and M.L. King, all of whom chose to suffer so that changes can be made in laws and policies to benefit others.

During the '60s I began collecting the albums of Ms Baez (along with those of Buffy St. Marie and Judy Collins), and used to have a daily half-hour recorded concert on the stereo system I installed in my classroom, before the school day began. These
singers researched folk music and enriched our cultural heritage immensely.

Gerard

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2003 08:04 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I liked, and still like Joan Baez's music, her politics are at best naïve. I have a 16mm reel of film from a concert she did in Berkley California in the late 60’s. The music is great, but when she talks about organizing protests and the upcoming revolution in America, it makes me want to wince.

The problem that she did not, and many now still do not recognize, is that there are fundamentally bad people in the world, and evil cultures. No amount of talking is going to change this, only force followed by education. Ignoring problems do not make them go away. For example, we ignored North Korea for 50 years, and the problem has only festered and gotten worse.

History has repeatedly taught us that peaceful solutions only work when both sides genuinely want them too.

Another Point Of View On The Upcoming Iraq War

/Mitchell

PS

Gee, I sure hope we are going to be fighting this war for oil. I would hate to think that we are wasting all these lives and money just to replace the Iraqi government with one only slightly less hostile to Western Civilization.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 10:26 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well ok dammit,
If we cant drill for Oil in Alaska for fear of "destroying" the environment and we cant build anymore refineries then where will we get our oil from to support ourselves? Maybe we should just start buying horses. Oh wait, horse like cows produce greenhouse gases, that wont work. Oh lets use electric cars. Wait that wont work because they have to be charged from an AC source, which comes from fossil fuels, that wont work. Nuclear power, yeah! No, that won’t work. Too dangerous. Oh, I know, steam power! No, that wont work either, have to burn wood or coal and that would be bad also. Well hell, I guess we all just have to walk then. [thumbsup]
The point is, big f*&^king deal, the environment over there is already a disaster (nobody bitches about that and how it got that way) so what would it hurt for us to continue to obtain our oil from them. As someone else pointed out, so what if Bush/Cheney used to be in oil? Who gives a shit. We know whom because it gives certain people something to bitch about.
Also, like someone else said, I thought Joan or in an institution or something. Disgusting, this whole mess is disgusting. If everybody was to group together against Saddam like they are doing Bush how long would Saddam be around? Seems to me folks in the world would rather have Saddam around instead of Bush. Hell, I bet Saddam would get voted for World Leader if such an election took place. I wish he would get elected, that way all you Bush/Iraq war bashers would see just what kind of man Saddam really is. Certain ass kissing European nations would certainly benefit from this arrangement I bet.
I would like to see all these antiwar demonstrators walk off a cliff to protest the upcoming war. Then we would see just how dedicated they all are. [evil]
Remember this "United We Stand, Divided We Fall".
Let the debate begin.

P.S. Peace Brother [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: