Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » TI Announces 2K DLP Chip

Author Topic: TI Announces 2K DLP Chip
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 08:58 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click Here

Debut was at Showest 2003.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-05-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2K chip was shown in Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago. I saw the unit in operation during rehearsals on Saturday and even though not all available pixels are on display due to lack of a proper lens, the end result on the screen is a great improvement. The ShoWest demostrations will include a split screen section with the latest Harry Potter movie being shown with the TI unit and a Kinoton FP25E projector....the new 2K unit is housed in a smaller chassis than the current 1280 DLP now in use.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Geoffrey Weiss
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 10:00 AM      Profile for Geoffrey Weiss   Email Geoffrey Weiss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...a logical outflow of the collaborative process that has characterized the development of DLP Cinema™?"

logical outflow?

Where did this guy learn to speak English? We could do a whole thread on "business-speak." A friend of mine plays "business-speak" bingo. Every phrase--"prioritize, maximize, etc." is on the card and eventually someone gets bingo.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-05-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clever how they are positioning this as something needed for the largest screens instead of acknowledging that 1280 pixels per line was simply not good enough. Of course that would involve admitting that all those very expensive boxes (and probably the other expensive boxes that drive them) are now obsolete after just a few years.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-05-2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2K announcement is one positive step. However, I don't believe 2,000 lines of resolution is quite good enough for commercial movie theater screens, particularly large ones. We can already see apparant flaws in 2K CGI renderings on a lot of 35mm releases. Still, at least the DLP technology can move past the really crude 1280 X 1024 standard.

What is the exact pixel layout of the new 2K chip? I didn't see that listed in the TI press release. Also, is the new 2K DLP chip 16x9 native? Or is it still 4:3 based?

It is also encouraging to hear the new 2K DLP chip fits on a smaller chassis than the old chip. That will help drive down costs and make a lot of computing and home theater projection products less expensive.

I would say the DLP chip would have chance in improving the ridiculous flat screen TV market, where virtually none can offer a 1920 X 1080 native pixel display. This new 2K chip would seem able to fill the bill. However, TI would need to work fast because other technologies will be impacting the flat screen TV market (such as OLED and FED methods).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-05-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"...a logical outflow of the collaborative process that has characterized the development of DLP Cinema™?"

logical outflow?

Where did this guy learn to speak English?

TI lets (forces) their product Engineers (to) write the documentation for anything that the average consumer isn't going to read. So anything technical gets written by someone who could care less about documentation -- many of these people probably don't speak too much in everyday life.

Oddly, the phrase / wording makes perfect sense to me. [Wink]

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Took 'em long enough. Now they should give those "over 150" theaters that have the old, obsolete chips free upgrades. [Big Grin]

While TI is busy building mindshare with annoucements like these, Kodak's digital cinema initiative is still a no-show. Is it ever going to move beyond the prototype stage? I would like to see some competition.

Also, like Bobby, I would like to see some more technical details about this chip. What is the physical aspect ratio of it? Are the pixels still square? What is the exact resolution? Does it still require anamorphic optics for both 1.85:1 and 2.39:1? What is the contrast ratio? What is the pixel area coverage?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 02:36 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"outflow" was the reason given by the government environmental guys that all the septic tanks on our strip of beach had to be repositioned after a hurricane in the 80s.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-06-2003 02:50 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying that TI is [bs] in' us?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: