Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Will the "GETTYSBURG" trilogy ever be completed?

Author Topic: Will the "GETTYSBURG" trilogy ever be completed?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-05-2003 11:07 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know how much money "GETTYSBURG" made during it's theatrical showings but it did not matter because the film was originally made for television and the money it made in the theatres helped with the production costs. "GODS & GENERALS" now finishing it's second week has so far made only a little over eight million dollars and was #9 on the box office chart last week and sinking fast!. This film was made for theatrical exhibition and I understand Ted Turner had put up almost all or all of the production costs. I was told that there is a very elaborate special edition DVD planned for this movie but seeing how badly it is now doing in theatres, I am wondering how much interest there will be for it? I know I want it and plan to buy it as soon as it becomes available. I am looking forward to the third part of the trilogy, "THE LAST FULL MEASURE" but was wondering if it is ever going to be maade due to the very poor box office performance of "GODS & GENERALS". I had heard that a script has already been written and some pre production work has already started. I hope they coontinue with the project and do not pull the plug because of the poor perfotmance of "G&Gs"

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have not seen the film yet, it has gotten terrible reviews. Appears to be one of those films in that all the real good scenes are contained in the preview......
I think your tag line should have read: It it worth finishing......this of course also pertains to the Star Wars Trilogy. In that case thouigh it is definately NOT worth finishing!!
Gettysburg was a great film and I was lucky enough to catch it in 70mm at the Uptown in D.C. interestingly, it was run flawlessy by none other than Steve Guttag. Our paths crossed even before Film-Tech.
Mark @ CLACO

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-05-2003 11:12 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have not read or seen officially yet. Someone did tell me that they heard that they were going to do the second one. Now when is another question.

They better finish the Star Wars series. The third one is the one I wanted to see the most.

The total gross for Gettysburg was $10,769,960 according to box office mojo

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 05:31 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next STAR WARS movie should be interesting to find out how AOTC and A NEW HOPE are bridged, but the story about the rebels vs. the Empire is already over, so we know the ending.

As for the GETTYSBURG films, I hope they make the third. I'm just dying to know who wins the civil war!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-06-2003 07:32 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if General Lee can just get those Heinkel He-162 jet fighters in time he can still turn it around!

"I love it. God help me I do love it so" --George

If you have to ask "George who?" then don't even bother talking to me!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 09:31 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the poor box office gross has to do with people waiting for Video because of its length. I've had a few people come up to me and ask about the intermission, then ask how long the whole movie was, and when I tell them "about Four Hours" they leave saying they'll rent the DVD, or they just see something else.

I think that's the general mindset of most moviegoers these days. Why get dressed, go out, pay money, get snacks and pay more money, and sit for four hours in a public place when I can have the same thing in my house, for cheaper, in less than a few months?

Let's hope they don't become wise and realize that the less people who come see the film in theaters, the sooner it will come to DVD. [Frown]

=TMP=

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a combination of the length, poor word-of-mouth and the bad reviews. People will always turn out for a great movie that all their friends are talking up. Nobody stayed away from the 3.5-hour "Titanic," and it didn't even have an intermission.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-06-2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

I agree with you about the quick turnaround of movies these days from theatres to home video. "DAREDEVIL" has already been announced for a June release on DVD and the movie only opened in theatres three weeks ago. One of the DVD websites has already put up a preliminary cover for "CHICAGO" which is expected to show up on DVD this Summer. As much as I love seeing movies in theatres, the biggest problem is so many good ones are released at the same time or very close to each other and by the time I have time to see them, they are gone. Because I have an excellent system at home with all the latest inovation in sound including discreet DTS ES, I do have an opportunity to see all of the pictures I missed in theatres on DVD at home. The only thing I do not have yet is a high definitation set.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: