Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Theaters on the Big Island of Hawaii (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theaters on the Big Island of Hawaii
Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a reply mainly to Claude, but might interest others too.
Big Island of Hawaii where the volcanoes are. About 4000 square miles, maybe 125,000 people. There are two main towns, Hilo on the east side, seat of county government, and Kona on the west side, where the tourist industry is centered. Hilo currently has 13 first-run screens, all run by Wallace; the Prince Kuhio Stadium Cinemas (9 screens) in the Prince Kuhio Plaza shopping mall, and the Kress Cinemas (4) in the old S.H. Kress store in downtown Hilo. Wallace recently closed the 3 screen discount Waiakea Theatres which were directly under the approach path to Hilo Airport. There is an independent 1-screen in the 1925 Palace Theatre around the corner from the Kress.
Kona itself has a 10-screen Wallace called the Makalapua Cinemas next to Kmart. 6 miles south in the Keauhou Shopping Center is the 7-screen Keauhou Cinemas, operated by Consolidated (Pacific) Theatres. I opened and projected here for several years. Another 5 or so miles south of Keauhou in Kainaliu is the Aloha Theatre which does a mixture of film and live events. About halfway between Hilo and Kona in Kamuela, aka Waimea is Kahilu Theatre where I presently am technical director. Also a mixture of live events and film. There are several other small closed plantation-era theatres still standing, most of which have been closed for some time.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 11:54 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude or Chris

Are any of these theatres still around?
  • Hawaii
    Hilo
    Palace (you said this one)
    Kohala
    Mawi or Hawi
    Kauai
    Lihue
    Oahu
    Waikiki
    Kuhio
    Princess
    Hawaii
    Liberty
    Aala
    Honolulu
    Kaimuki
    Kalili
    Kapahula
    Kewala
    Liliha
    Palama
    Pawaa
    Varsity
    Wahiawa
    Waialua
    Waialua Drive-In
    Ewa
    Toyo
Bill

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Chris can give you more information about the big island theatres you asked about but all the others on Oahu and Kauai are gone except the Varsity. The Varsity has been twined is now show art films. I have to run now but I will be back in an hour with a few questions about your knowledge about our theatres, especially the old Ewa. I thought I was the only one who knew it even existed.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 02:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill

I am back!

First of all I do know what happened to the Hilo Theatre on the big island of Hawaii. The theatre was demolished after being heavily damaged by the 1960 Tsunami (tidal wave). The site where the Hilo was is now a part of a Tsunami zone where no building and homes are permitted.

All of the theatres with the exception of the Wailua Drive In which did not exist were all operated by Consolidated Amusement Company, a locally owned chain of theatres at the time until Los Angeles based Pacific Theatres bought the company in the sixties. For your information, there was a Consolidated theatre in Wailua but it was very much like the old Ewa Theatre you mentioned in your list that was nothing but a corrugated aluminum sugar plantation warehouse converted into a theatre. The drive in theatre you are thinking about was the Waialae Drive In and was located in east Honolulu and operated by the now defunct and also locally owned Royal Theatre chain. I was wrong when I said the only surviving theatre was the Varsity. THe Hawaii Theatre was almost demolished until it was saved and renovated into a performing arts centre several years ago. The theatre has a website and you can find it by using Net Search on your computer.
By the way the AAla and the Toyo were the same theatre. The theatre was known as the Toyo until Deember 7, 1941 and after the attack at Pearl Harbor, the name was changed to the Aala due to anti Japanese sentiments. The Toyo used to show Japanese films before the attack but began showing only American films when the theatre's name was changed. Many years later, the theatre's original name was restored and the Toyo Theatre was the first run venue in Honolulu for films from Japan's Toei Studio. It was closed and demolished in the mid seventies. The Pawaaa Theatre on your list had everthing torn out except it's foundation and it's four walls and converted into a three strip Cinerama theatre in 1962 and became known as the "Cinerama". The old Princess Theatre also on your list became Honolulu's first Cinerama theatre and I just commented about this house just the other day on the "Cinerama in Seattle thread. The 'Honolulu' was a independent 2nd run theatre along with the Victory in Wahiawa, the two Aiea theatres, Koga in Waialua, the Haleiwa on the north shore, a few others on the Waianae coast and elsewhere. All of the theatre buildings on you your list that closed were all demolished except the Pawaa (Cinerama), Palama, and the Kiwalo. The Kuhio theatre building is long gone and the original Waikiki and the other two newer theatres, the Twins are still standing and would eventaully be demolished. [Frown] By the way why was my home town theatre, the Waipahu not on your list because in my opinion it was one of Consolidated's finest neighborhood theatre with the latest in sound including four track mag that almost all of the other suburban theatres in the chain lacked?

-Claude

[ 03-07-2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Claude

Sorry about missing the Waipahu on the list. I was running a
interlock show of "The Fighting Temptations", when I was making
the post.

Bill

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 03:25 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Claude!
I forgot some other older theaters here. Many of the small plantation camps had theaters up to the 1960s. One that survives is the Honokaa People's Theater about 16 miles toward Hilo from me. A doctor in Honokaa bought it a few years ago from the family that owned it and singlehandedly (is that a word?) renovated it. It has DTS sound and a Strong or Potts platter. I think the projector head is a Century but I'm not sure of the lamphouse. They run about 5 nights a week and also host some live musical events on their stage apron. Until the platter went in, there were 2 Simplexes and Magnarcs in there with RCA soundheads and tube amps, running off the original motor/generator.
The Hawi Theater operated until about 2 years ago, when Sidney the owner/operator/projectionist passed away. Unfortunately his family has no interest in opening it again.
South of Hilo in Pahoa is or was the Akebono Theater, which until recently was running some films and doing community theatre. I believe they no longer run films. At the south end of this island, in Naalehu is the Southern Star, actually the southernmost theater in the 50 states. I'm not certain of their status, but I think that community events still take place there.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Although I have visited the big island many times, I have never been to a movie there. The only neighbor island theatres I have been to were the Kukui Mall theatres in Kehei and the Kahuamanu Theatres in Kahului on Maui when they first opened and I was there to photograph the event. I was at that shopping centre where the Consolidated theatres are in Kona and it looks like a very nice complex. How are the Wallace theatres in Kona? I know the one's here on Oahu are dreadful as I had commented many times before. After the Waikiki theatres closed, the theatres at Ward Centre are now my favorites but I only go there to see special movies with a great soundtrack. I am planning to to TEARS OF THE SUN" there this weekend and I hope it is in SDDS-8 because the four large theatres have it.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 05:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I forgot to ask you about your knowledge about many of Hawaii's historic motion picture theatres especially the EWA. I still remember this theatre when I was a child when my father drove his family through that little quaint town. The theatre has been gone since the late fifties and I was amazed that a non resident like yourself knew about this theatre unless you lived here at the time when it was still in operation and have seen movies there. A lot of my friends who are my age and lived in Ewa still remember seeing movies for only a dime at the Ewa. The dime admission was also the same at the Waipahu at the time. The sugar mill in Ewa is long gone but the town still has it very old charm and I enjoy going there to see clients who still live there. If you lived here, do you remember these other theatres that were not on your list. They are the King, Queen, Palace, Roosevelt and the Golden Wall plus the Victory, Haleiwa, Koga and the two Aiea theatres I mentioned earlier?

-Claude

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claude

No I've never lived there. Someday I will make it over to Hawaii. I do a lot of theatre location reseach. So I saw the post about theatres in Hawaii. So I looked up some of the theatre assets of Consolidated Amusement Co., Ltd. from around 1946. That is how I got a listing of theatres. My main research
has been the California and New York Theatres. I have a large
update/missing theatres in Los Angeles for Adam's site Cinematour.
But Thank You again for the wonderful info on Hawaii's Theatres.

Bill

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-07-2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-oh. I'm in trouble now! [Smile] I need to get down to LA and San Diego sometime soon for some picture taking.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 09:27 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am planning to to TEARS OF THE SUN" there this weekend and I hope it is in SDDS-8 because the four large theatres have it.
The info supplied in the Feature Info & Trailer Attachments indicates Tears Of The Sun has a six-channel SDDS soundtrack.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 12:16 AM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,
The Kona Wallace Theatres live up to the same high standards as all Wallace Theatres. I went to see "O Brother" there because we didn't get it at Keauhou. Ads, policy and trailers ran with house lights full on, then there was a ten minute pause, then the feature started out of frame and out of focus and the house lights went to half bright. Twenty minutes later the houselights went to low. Naturally the war movie next door was louder than "O Brother". Sound was also bad analog although Dolby Digital is featured in all houses, with CP650s.
Keauhou Cinemas, the Consolidated operation, is OK if you like green decor. The houses are smallish; the 4 large houses are about 230 each, the 3 small ones about 130. Here's the outside:  -
If I can get permission I will do a Picture Warehouse upload. I took lots of pics.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-08-2003 12:26 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys ought to share some of this info and photos with that Cinematour guy that hangs out around here. [Wink]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-08-2003 12:15 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I forgot to mention in my long post yesterday about Consolidated's three drive in theatres they had operated on Oahu that was not on your list. The very first drive in theatre the company opened and the first of it's kind in Hawaii was the Kapiolani Drive in Theatre right in the middle of the city of Honolulu. I believe it opened in the late forties and closed most likely somewtime in the fifties. It was not in operation very long. The Kapiolani was a very popular theatre but the land was too valuable to be used as a drive in theatre and Consolidated closed it and had the land subdivided and either leased or sold. One of the lessee or purchaser of land was the Toho motion picture company of Japan who built one of a few company theatres in the United States to show their films. After many years of operation, the Toho Company decided to get out of theatrical operation in the United States and leased the theatre to Consolidated and it became the Kapiolani. The Kapiolani was very popular for many years and showed a lot of great films. It was the only theatre along with the Cinerama that had the first run rights to "STAR WARS" in Honolulu. The second drive in theatre Consolidated operated was the Kam Drive In in Aiea and it remained open until recently. It was so successful at the time that the company added a second screen a few years later. Although the two screens have been removed, Consolidated still use the property today for weekend flea market operation. Consolidated 3rd drive in theatre was the Kailua in Windward Oahu and was the only one in Hawaii that was capable of showing films in 70mm in addition to 35mm with a Norelco 35/70mm projector. The only 70mm film to play at the Kailua was "MY FAIR LADY" after it finished it's long run at the Cinerama Theatre. There were two other drive in theatres that was operated by Royal Theatres, Consolidated's only competitor in Hawaii and they were the Waialae in Honolulu I mentioned yesterday and the Royal Sunset here in Waipahu where I live.

-Claude

[ 03-08-2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Here is the Hawaii Drive-in Theatres page I am working on at present.

If anyone wishes to contribute photos or information I would be most grateful (they will be acknowledged)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~p.berrett/drivein/hawaii.html

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: