Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Restored "Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to open

Author Topic: Restored "Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to open
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 09:30 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UA along with AMC (American Movie Classics) have restored
"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". The new restored print is
set to play at the Tribeca Film Festival on May 7th. And set
to play on AMC on cable starting May 10th. It is set to play
at The Film Forum starting May 30th in New York and at the
Nuart in Los Angeles June 30th, for a week as of now.
The new release features that 16 mins, plus a few more minutes
resently discovered in Italy. UA has stuck new 35mm prints with
a new digital stereo soundtrack. Look for the DVD sometime in 2004 from MGM/UA home video.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screening a collector's IB Tech print of that film remains one of my all time favorite film viewing experiences. The Techniscope graininess didn't get in the way of making you feel like you were there with them.

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 02:43 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One wonders what they did about the soundtrack for those 16 minutes (and the extra few minutes found). The DVD that I have claims that no English soundtrack was recorded, and plays those 16 minutes in Italian.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 02:57 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to a page that explains the restoration in more detail.

DVD Savant

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
American Movie Classics is dead. Will the restored print be pan-and-scanned to 1.33, have an AMC logo in the corner, and be interruted by commercials? [Roll Eyes]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 12:52 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse

I think they're making an exception for this one. To be aired letterboxed, uncut and sans commercials.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2003 10:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Screening a collector's IB Tech print of that film remains one of my all time favorite film viewing experiences."

Aw, common Steve, it was the Pizza [Eek!] we had from Giordonos along with the film that really made the evening!!

I wonder if the new digital track will be as distorted as all the orignal optical tracks were......if the new tracks are clean something will be sorely missing from that classic. I also doubt the prints are dye transfer anyway.
Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-08-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be a lot of things, Mark, but I am not "common." You've forgotten that I don't eat pizza! And you should have held onto that print. That and several others!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: