Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How Do You Fault Find?

Author Topic: How Do You Fault Find?
Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a topic that sounds a little strange, but how exactly do you fault find?

I think the common stance most would adopt is to first isolate a problem to a certain piece of equipment and then eventually narrow down the possibilities to a specific component within that equipment, until the problem is found.

For example, with scratching on film - you could determine base or emulsion scratches on the film and then study the film's path to check for any burring or misaligned pads, etc. Unless the problem is intermittent - you will generally derive a conclusion from narrowing down the possibilities by thinking rationally.

Some learn better from knowledge of manuals, while others learn from trial and error or past experiences.

There appears to be a variety of well performed techers on this site. Maybe someone has some insight into proficient trouble shooting that could be used in future.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-07-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely there is no one solution that fits all circumstances. One's experience is going to serve as a guide as will asking for advice here or elsewhere. The real crime is to have a situation of unknown origin and shrug "shit happens" and not even try to find the cause.

I have one unsolved mystery dating back over a year. Started a show with DTS and there was no sound. DTS kicked the CP500 over to 6-track input but there was nothing there. I bailed to SR-D and no amount of testing could get it to recreate the problem and to this day I don't know if it was a DTS issue or a problem on the 500 & Cat.685. Ever since I've been a bit wary of the DTS unit since using it is an option since the prints have SR-D too. It's troubling not to know but sometimes you never will. But you must at least try.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-07-2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been able to solve a "freak" occurrance. If it can't be duplicated, then I can't fix it.

Sometimes, too, it is useful to ask around if the other projectionists have observed or experienced certain hard-to-find or "impossible-to-solve" problems...

I don't think I shall soon forget the projectionist who answered: "It's just him, man [referring to one of the other projectionists]. Like, he needs more training or something. He's always breaking shit up in this mo-fo."

...If only it was that easy every time!

[ 03-08-2003, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Manny Knowles ]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-08-2003 04:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that has gotten me through a few hard to solve cases is to just sit down and watch the projector run. Get a cup of coffee and the repair manual and just sit there next to the machine and look, listen and think.

I know it sounds silly but just "Be the projector." [Wink]

There are circumstances where you don't have the luxury of doing this... You have a house down... The projector is damaging film... etc... etc. In these cases you have to be more active in your approach.

However, when you have time, there's a lot to be said for not just rushing in and doing the first thing that comes to mind, lest it be the wrong thing which either doesn't help the problem or makes it worse.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: