Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Success of ShoWest (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Success of ShoWest
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-09-2003 11:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a great convention, and what really made it a complete success was the safe return home of all who participated in it, especially the Film-Tech members.

I had the honor to haul Brad, Dwayne, and Josh to the airport for their flights out to home. I cleared the area at about 0315 hours Saturday morning, almost to the exact minute Josh arrived home.

Although I was really having problems keeping up with the Film Tech members due to high altitude and age problems, it was great to be there. I guess I'll have to ask the doctor to jam a few more pipes in me to keep some of the arteries open so I can have the opportunity to be with all of you who will attend next year.

It was a pleasure to meet some old friends I worked with when I was was with MTS. Dan, it was nice to see you again and shake hands with you. Dewey White, I was really delighted to talk with you again after all these years. Sam, you didn't hit me up for a cigarette this year...How come? Phil Rafnson, I see you had a little more color in your face since I saw you last year.

Bob Maar, I don't know if I can still mix a martoonie, but it was great to talk to you in person.

Roger Frazee, it was a pleasure to meet you. Let it be known if that Regal has some "bad booth times" in my area, please feel free to call on me to bail those booths out if nobody is available at that time, as the "show must go on"... [Smile]

....and as a special thanks, here is to Ken Layton. [beer]

Had it not been for Ken Layton, I would never be here on this forum. Ken, you have been the instrument that was needed for me to meet some great folks like Josh, Brad, Dwayne, Bob Maar, Mike, John Westlund, Danny, and a ton of others I have had the pleasure to associate with in our industry.

Brad, I thank you for making this forum possible. It would be a dull world without it.

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-10-2003 02:15 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you take care of yourself, and I will see you in 2004. [Smile]

-Aaron

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-10-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I was really having problems keeping up with the Film Tech members due to high altitude and age problems, it was great to be there.
Good to hear that you had a good time Paul, but are you sure this wasn't the problem? You didn't get into the weenies again did you? [Smile]

-

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-10-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Jeeze....That picture came back to haunt me again.

Actually, I only tested 1/3 of one at the weenie booth of the trade show. Brad did get a video of that one, so I am sure we'll see it soon. [Big Grin]

Aaron, come hell or high water, I'll be there next year. I think I will be in a little better shape then, so maybe I can keep up with the demand. [Smile]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-10-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THAT'S BEAUTIFUL!

(I saved it off the board... just in case Paul finds a way to get it deleted!... there's GOT to be a good use for it somewhere!)

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I saved it off the board... just in case Paul finds a way to get it deleted!... there's GOT to be a good use for it somewhere!)
How about wallpaper? [Big Grin]
 -

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was good to see old friends & meeting new ones, learned a few things, saw some very good products...had a couple of guys come up to me & said they saw me on Film-Tech, it was good to hear the voice behind the picture & typing...I saw Brad, Paul & Josh, good to see you guys, sorry about not getting to have a drink with you guys, had business to take care of...had a great time...good show !!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-10-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Brad, Dwayne, Josh, and John Gordon enjoyed my "Kamikaze runs" through the city? John rode "shotgun" while Brad, Josh, and Dwayne were scrunched in the back seat. I made some wild corners, and Josh got squashed against the door a couple of times. I must have made one real wild corner, as John looked at me and asked. "You have studded tires on this thing?"
[Big Grin]

Back-seat drivers...ARG! "Gentlemen, I cannot make a left turn...I am in the wrong F****** lane!!!"
[Embarrassed]
I found the best way to follow Aaron. It is real simple. Straddle the center line, that way I can turn either way. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [eyes]

All in all, I think they felt somewhat safe. They didn't know it, but I always make myself aware at all times about what is behind me, as well as what is on my left side and right side of the car. I always leave myself "with a method of escape" in event some asshole cuts in front of me or starts to occupy a space in a lane that is already occupied by me. [thumbsup]

I think all of them got a taste of normal Seattle driving techniques while they rode with me. [Eek!]

....and Josh always thought I drove like a little old lady...he was in for a surprise. [evil]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-11-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that's who that was in my lane last week! And I thought it was just another idjit Summerlin commuter in a rental car... [Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-11-2003 11:55 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, that was Aaron...not me.. [Smile] [Big Grin]

Heck, I can blame it on the dog, but unfortunately, the dog was being "Pooper set" by Lillie's kids. So, I have to blame it on someone. [Big Grin]

Anyway, I guess I must have been successful in cleaning the car proir to the trip. Where Josh, Brad, and Dwayne were sitting was basically Pooper's seat. I didn't see any of the three scratching there ass because of flea bites. [evil] [evil]

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

I'm definitely glad I rode with Aaron that last day, not you! [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-12-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me ShoWest was a big success too. I met a lot of film-techers and many other interesting people from the cinema industry. There was a lot to see and to do. I attended a Dolby seminar and several lectures and demonstrations, among them a very interesting seminar about digital cinema. There was also one about the new dts unit, but I overslept on that day because my jetlag finally caught up with me!!
Las Vegas was interesting in a way, but also a bit tiring. Still, I liked the all-you-can-eat buffets and that they bring you drinks for free when you are sitting at the gambling machines. I don`t gamble, but I sat down at a machine and waved for a waitress when I wanted a drink.
The first film-techer I met was Don Sneed at the Dolby CP650 seminar. On the trade show I met all those who exhibited their products, like Richard Fowler and Larry Shaw, John Allen, Ray Derrick, Bob Maar and a lot more people who admitted to being lurkers on film-tech! Many of them found the recent shadow boxing and stirring the pot on film-yak quite amusing. That means we are all stars!! I also met Greg Mueller who gave me a Mueller`s Atomics t-shirt which I actually wore at the film-tech gathering where of course I met all those who were there. I am sure there will be some photos here soon.
I actually visited Phil Hill in Hollywood on my way back but I did not kill him. We were joking! But we really almost killed ourselves with pizza, chicken wings and lots of booze.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-12-2003 01:56 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually visited Phil Hill in Hollywood on my way back but I did not kill him.
It sincerely saddens me to hear that. [Wink]

You know if Phil does get killed I'm screwed.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-12-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know if Phil does get killed I'm screwed.
?? Explain.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-12-2003 02:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Because I ***WILL*** come back and haunt him!

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: