Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A day at the Kuuola Ranch today with gorgeous models. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A day at the Kuuola Ranch today with gorgeous models.
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-10-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be spending the day at the beautiful Kuuola Ranch in Windward Oahu today working with some gorgeous female models. The ranch was the site where the current "TEARS OF THE SUN" and other films including "JURASSIC PARK III and WINDTALKER" was filmed. I plan to have a good day and tell you all about it tonight. [Smile]

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see some pictures, please [Wink]

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The familiar shot seen in many films and TV series of Kualoa Ranch is Kaaawa Valley. The ranch is owned by the Morgan family, descendants of the missionary Wilders and Swanzys. My dad used to race sports cars (MGs and Austin-Healeys) with Richard Morgan at the old Kahuku airstrip track in the late 50s and early 60s.

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lets see some pictures, please
Yes! Would love to see pics of the models please!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-10-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I returned from the photo shoot at Kualoa Ranch and had a great time. The purpose of the event today was the first annual photo shoot out among the members of the Professional Photographers of Hawaii and we will all have to submit one of our favorites at a luncheon tomorrow for every member to vote on the image they like the best for prizes. Because I still have to dowload them and prepare them for the competition tomorrow, I will not be able to put them up until tomorrow or Wednesday.

It was a beautiful day starting with location work on the beach where the Fantasy Island TV series was photographed in the morning. The afternoon was spent in the valley that was used in the dinosaur stampede scene in the original "JURASSIC PARK" and it is just amazing how the movie was made.The site looked like a T Rex could appear at any time. What a very wonderful location and I am very proud that it is one of Hawaii's contribution to the American motion picture production industry.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to post my pictures taken at the Kualoa Ranch but because my images are huge files, I have to greatly reduce them to conform to Film Tech's approved format and I am not sure how to do it without some help of my friends who work with Apple computers. One of my image of Maile, who was one of the models at the Kualoa shession was voted as the best picture taken at the event. The selection was made by every photographer who participated. For my effort, I received a cool photographic backpack which will come in handy. I will try post the picture as well as others as soon as I find the way to reduce the files to the approved size so please be patient.

-Claude

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wanted to post my pictures taken at the Kualoa Ranch but because my images are huge files, I have to greatly reduce them to conform to Film Tech's approved format and I am not sure how to do it without some help of my friends who work with Apple computers.
Here's a free program that works with windows. I use it all the time for resizing and enhancing images.

IrfanView

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 11:12 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rae,

Thanks for the information but I only work with mac computers. I was thinking about getting a PC laptop but will most likely get the new 12 inch powerbook by mack as soon as my finances get better when people start spending money again.

-Claude

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2003 02:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E-mail the file to me and I will resize it for you. I use a Mac. Just as long as the file is well under 40 megabytes I should be able to accept it, no problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-13-2003 02:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you use Adobe Photoshop, open up the picture, then select IMAGE/IMAGE SIZE and select the width to 550 pixels, then SAVE AS a different file name. (If you just select "save" you will overwrite your original high resolution image.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2003 11:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are Claude's pictures that he took. I am posting these on his behalf:

-
This first view is a wide angle view of Kualoa valley where Steven Spielberg shot the dinosaur stampede in "JURASSIC PARK"

-
This is a shot of the south wall of Kualoa Valley. You can get a better view of the location where the T Rex was attacking the little dinosaurs in the stampede scene.

-
This is MAILE, one of two models I photographed on Monday at the Kualoa Ranch. This is the image that was voted the best image of the day by my fellow photographers.

-
This is ERICA and I had fun photographing her. Erica is a professional model and a actress and had a part in the current "TEARS OF THE SUN" playing a double to one of the leading female characters.

-
Here is a 3/4 view of ERICA. She was great and a good sport. I enjoyed working with her.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn I have never been to Hawaii but now I want to go even more. Beautiful scenery and Beautiful women.

Now does anyone have those knockout drops they used on Mr. T when he didn't want to get on a plane on the A-team. [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 12:00 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Joe for posting my pictures! [Smile]

I hope everyone enjoy the images. I shot about a hundred pictures and these were some of my favorites. The images were 'captured' by a professional Fuji S-1 Professional digital camera and I used the 'Fine' mode. At this setting, it is possible to make prints as large as six feet high and five feet wide and I have seen a print made by a fellow photographer who used the same setting and made a print that size for a wedding expo display. The lens I used was a Tamron 28-105 f2.8 Aspherical with a Nikon mount and is very sharp. Because of the mount, I can also use it on my Nikon F100 and N190 film cameras. All of the images were made with natural light especially the models. The majority of the photographers on Monday were using flash and reflectors but all I used was the camera itself because I am very lazy and do not want to go to all that trouble to create my pictures. [Smile]
I used to use midium format Hassleblads for over thirty five years but switched to Digital and 35mm film cameras a little over a year ago. This decision to switch was not because of cost but I felt that the 35mm camera format gave me much better creative control because of the ease of handling and the availability of larger selection of lenses compared to the Hassleblad.

Thanks again for posting my pictures, Joe.

-Claude [Smile]

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 10:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent photos Did you use incident or reflective exposure readings
Years ago one of my hobbies was portait photography and enjoyed many PSA salons

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: