Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Diets, good and bad

Author Topic: Diets, good and bad
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda curious about other peoples dietery habits and how you stay fit and if it really matters to you. I have gained almost 20 pounds in two years and I just cant get into slimming up. My arms, legs are skinny but I have a spare tire the size of a small pumpkin [Wink] . I do not feel like doing the Gym thing but am considering lowering my sugar intake and walking. All my brothers and parents are not overweight, just me.
Just curious.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-13-2003 11:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stick to a seafood diet.
I sea food and eat it. [Smile]

But I still won't eat that ocean food.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2003 11:06 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be on two diets. One diet just didn't feed me enough [Big Grin]
Honestly, my wife says I look ok, love is blind I guess. I would like to not look pregnant. [Frown]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2003 11:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam.

Is there any reason you do not like to work out in a gym? I used to think like you and hated to exercise until I got so big, I had to do something. That something was joining Gold's Gym in Hawaii before it was bought out and became 24hr Fitness Centres.
After joining, I discovered it was not bad especially when one can work out at the same time as the women members. After becoming friends with members like Cindy Lopes and Charla Herbert who both looked stunning, going to gym was something to look forward to. Because of my involent in fitness, I even have a picture gallery devoted to my fitness friends and clients at my website. If you go there, you will see an image of Cindy in a pink suit and Charla in red. Before I joined Golds/24hr Fitness, I tipped the scale at almost 260 pounds with my six foot height and about 35% body fat. After only a few short months, I dropped my weight to a comfortable 195 pounds and about 14% body fat. If I can do it, so can you.

-Claude

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-14-2003 07:57 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At 5-feet 10-inches, I'd like to lose about 15 pounds from my current 178 pounds. I find I put on weight after holidays and events like ShoWest, that takes a few months to lose again.

My diet includes lots of fruits and vegetables, and two fresh salads a day. Lately, I've tried to cut the calories by switching to diet soft-drinks and artificial sweetener for coffee. Snack foods and ice cream are temptations I need to avoid more often.

I don't have a formal exercise program. But I try to use the stairs rather than the elevator, and walk between buildings in Kodak Park, which is quite large. Summer sees me at my leanest, since I tend a large vegetable garden that can work up a sweat, and spend time in the pool. [Cool]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-14-2003 09:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try cutting out carbs from your diet as much as you can. I've never been on a diet since I am 6'0" (or barely under) and weigh 26 pounds (I refuse to type "lbs" since that is just stupid... lubs? What the hell? How does "lbs" translate into "pounds"? None of the letters are even the same except for the "s" which is only there to to make it plural. I am getting angry thinking about it. People are stupid). But my dad went on a diet and you can lose weight pretty fast this way. Basically you eat tons and tons of fatty food. Real butter, no margarine. Huge hamburgers without the bun. Just tons and tons of crap but lower the intake of the carbs. That's what gets ya.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-14-2003 09:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe -- FYI, "lbs" and "pound" are both derived from the Latin phrase "libra pondo"--i.e. "pound in weight."

Never mind that there are various definitions for "pound" depending on what is being weighed, which is why a pound of feathers (16 ounces) weighs more than a pound of gold (13 ounces).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-14-2003 09:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weight is just stupid. We should have redesigned it after it was invented before it was released to the public. Too many bugs.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-14-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Too many bugs.
I bet Infopop had something to do with it all.

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2003 11:04 PM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eating healthy at the theatre is tough; I started buying the "premix" salads, there are many flavors/types available, very little waste, a few small bottles of salad dressings stay in the cooler; pick up some cold cuts and cheeses to top the salad. I also try to make soups or stews ahead and heat them in the microwave as needed. This also helped our budget, much less fast food and takeout! And I stopped "test tasting" every batch of popcorn! As was stated earlier, cut the carbs as much as possible, use low cal sweetners. What worked for one of my friends was buying an old style reel lawn mower; he has a fairly level yard, 60'x80', just by using the push mower instead of power over last summer he dropped 25 pounds. Of course if you have a really big yard or very steep areas that may not work!

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 03:08 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BEER! 'nuff said.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta say, any time I try and change my eating habits or work out nothing changes. I have lost/gained weight at different times and for no discernable reason. My wife, on the other hand, has lost all her pregnancy weight with no exercise (except climbing up to our 3rd floor apartment and running around at work) while eating mostly just macaroni&cheese, hotdogs, canned soups, and cheesecake. She could use some tone, but we just don't have time to go to the gym, which kills me because the membership is 15 bucks a month and I would like to get SOMETHING out of it. If I want to get fit I think I'm just going to have to work out like crazy and tone up. Not much weight to be lost judging from my past experience. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: