Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Flight Attendent Accused of Spiking Juice

Author Topic: Flight Attendent Accused of Spiking Juice
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2003 10:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one might make you almost speechless as it did me.

The Associated Press reports a former Northwest Airlines flight attendant was charged with assault for allegedly putting a prescription depressant in a toddler's apple juice to stop her crying on an international flight.

The flight attendent also was charged Thursday with distributing a controlled substance on the Aug. 25 flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

Arraignment was set for Tuesday for the flight attendent, who is not in custody, the U.S. attorney's office said.

The girl's mother told the FBI special agent that the flight attendent seemed upset when her 19-month-old daughter became restless and began squirming and crying on the flight. The flight attendent offered the apple juice three times before Apparently, the girl's mother accepted, according to the agent's affidavit. The girl suffered no serious injury.

The girl's mother later noticed the juice was bitter and foamy and had blue and white specks floating in it. Ten days after the flight, she took the juice to University Laboratories in Novi, which confirmed the presence of Xanax, a prescription medication used to treat panic attacks and anxiety, the FBI said.

The drug's side effects include lightheadedness, fatigue and drowsiness. The Food and Drug Administration hasn't approved it for children, the agency said.

The flight attendent has denied drugging the child in statements to the FBI. He did not return a telephone message left Friday at a listing for him, and his attorney declined comment.

The flight attendent also has been charged with importing more than 100 tablets of a non-narcotic controlled substance into the United States on a different flight in October. The tablets included Xanax and Valium.

A Northwest spokeswoman said the flight attendent was hired in 1998 and worked for the airline until last Dec. 30. She said she could not discuss his case.

Please forgive me for seemingly being a news reporter, because it certainly is not my intention. But when I read something this sick, I have to pass it along for general information. I guess this world is really full of sick puppies. [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Completely disgusting and detestable. I mean, who in their right mind would keep a juice for 10 days after a flight?!? [Smile]

=TMP=

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2003 10:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for one thing I've sat in front of a crying baby all the way from Cincinatti to Seattle on a Delta 727 once. Myself and quite a number of other passengers wished we could have jammed a towel down its throat! Being on the roomless 727 for that long ride in the first place was bad enough, but then the crying baby compounded it by at least 3.14! While I certainly think that drugging the baby as she was bad, they certainly coulda offered to drug me on that trip!! Taking in 10 Martoonis wouldn't have mattered a bit.
Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-15-2003 10:53 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently on a flight from New York to Florida, with a crying kid almost the whole way (2 1/2 hours.) You would think the kid would get tired ... but no. Sometimes the kid screemed so loud, you began to wonder if she was really sick or something.

Went out and got those noise-cancelling headphones right away.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: