Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Place names in the UK (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Place names in the UK
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-15-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck do these mean?

"Margate, Kent, UK" and "Kingston-on-Thames, Surrey, UK"

Are Margate and Kingston-on-Thames the city names or are they neighborhoods of Kent and Surrey? Are Kent and Surrey counties or cities?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-15-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Kent and Surrey are provinces.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-15-2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are counties not provinces

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-15-2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They could be... I know for sure they are located side by side in South-East England. Kent is surrounded by water on the North and East.

edit: Resorted to reading... they are counties.

Adam Martin

- posted 03-15-2003 03:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
So, then, the proper place to list cinemas in these places on Cinematour (which goes by city and country for most places outside North America) would be "Margate, UK" and "Kingston-on-Thames, UK"?

I'm not able to break the UK into counties in the database at this time. This may change, though, as the German listings are growing. I've had several requests to be able to list by county/province, which will help on certain research projects. Maybe I'll have time this summer to program that. (riiiight!)

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-15-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Margate and Kingston-on-Thames are towns.

Kent and Surrey are counties.

The UK is er... um... well I'm not quite sure what it is actually, and I live here.

The UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. (It hasn't had a king for fifty one years) Great Britain contains England, Scotland and Wales, which are countries. Northern Ireland consists of six counties, the other twenty six Irish counties form the Republic of Ireland, or Eire, which is not part of Britain.

Then there are various small islands. The Isle of Wight is part of England, I think it's actually a county, but the Isle of Man is not part of Britain, but has some sort of links with it. Goodness knows what the status of the Channel Islands, between England and France is.

I am English; my nationality is British my passport says both 'European Union' and 'United Kingdom'

We like to make things complicated here. Make sure those foreigners can't understand it. [Wink] The only problem is, we can't understand it either.

Adam Martin

- posted 03-15-2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys! Stephen, please inform Her Majesty that her plot to confuse the world was successful. [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-15-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Germany is not organised in counties but federal states. For instance Berlin is in the state of Berlin-Brandenburg. Hamburg and Bremen are city states. Berlin used to be too, but it has been united with the surrounding state of Brandenburg.
Frankfurt is in the state of Hessen (where the headless horseman in Sleepy Hollow came from), and so on.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,
What is the status of the successionist movement in Scotland to break away from the United Kingdom? It was reported here in the United States last week that Sean Connery had a secret bank account of 2 million dollars and funneled the interest to the Scottish Nationalists.

Canadians,
What is the status of the Qubecois and there successionist movement?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if I was from Frankfurt, would I be a Frankfurter?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-15-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. -er denotes a person or a thing from a place. Like Frankfurter or Wiener (Wien=Vienna) Wuerstchen (sausage), or a Hamburger beefsteak.
A Berliner can be both a person from Berlin (as in Berliner Philharmoniker), or a sweet marmelade filled bun. Yet Kennedy`s famous speech in Berlin "Ich bin ein Berliner" was never mistaken as meaning that he saw himself as a bun, contrary to popular myth.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 03-15-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quebec is still trying to design an outboard motor large enough to float the province out into the ocean.

Since the next prime minister (which quite possibly could be former federal finance minister Paul Martin) will in all likelihood play to their 'english roots' the Bloc Quebecois will probably be more vocal about separatism.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-16-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen: I'm pretty sure that the Isle of Wight is formally part of Hampshire, but I could be wrong.

As for Scotland, there is a political party called the Scottish National Party which campaigns for Scotland to become a totally independent state. Connery is one of its principle backers; here is a link to its website. Since (I think) 1999 Scotland has had its own parliament, which has extensive legislative and limited tax-raising powers, but does not have jurisdiction over defence and foreign policy. Wales has a devolved assembly, which does not have tax-raising powers and only a very limited decision-making capacity. There was also devolved government in Northern Ireland until late last year, when the then NI minister John Reed suspended it as a result of it becoming clear at Sinn Fein/IRA were not making any meaningful commitment to the peace process and disarmament (specifically, after the IRA/Colombia business emerged).

I think it would be fair to say that a substantial minority of Scots support independence, but not a majority. As it is, Scotland gets a very (some would say unfairly) good deal out of the UK. It is represented twice - in the UK parliament at Westminster and in their own legislature. Scottish politicians are involved in decisions that only affect England and/or Wales, but not vice-versa. Furthermore, Scottish (and Northern Irish)public services are heavily subsidised by English and Welsh taxes. I think most Scots realise this and would not welcome the higher taxation and lower standard of living that would probably result from total independence.

As for counties (e.g. Surrey, Kent), their significance in England is mainly administrative. A layer of local government is run by county councils, who play a key role in rural areas. Large cities generally have their own city councils: for example I live in the county of North Yorkshire, but I can't vote in their county council elections because, living in a city, this comes under the City of York Council.

[ 03-16-2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Leo Enticknap ]

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2003 03:08 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Isle of Wight is counted as an independant county for council services (i.e. hospitals, schools etc) but as part of hampshire for all others.

They get the same News as us though.

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2003 05:43 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can see this whole city problem actually arises because of the US misuse of the definition of 'city'. Originally to be a city a town had to be over a certain size and have a cathedral I think, though the cathedral bit doesn't apply these days.

It always seemed very odd to me that even teeny places in the US refer to themselves as 'cities' [Confused] . Maybe you lot should clear the confusion up [Big Grin]

David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: