Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Academy Awards show is almost here!

Author Topic: The Academy Awards show is almost here!
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-17-2003 02:25 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although there is a thread by Charles Everett about Oscar hype and the politics in getting a film nominated, I thought I would start one on the show itself. Except for the University of Hawaii (WAC) football season, I have neven been interested in professional football and have found that Super Bowl Sunday is a great day to go to the movies because most people are at home watching the game. In place of the game, the annual Academy Award show is 'my Super Bowl' and I always make an effort to watch it no matter where I am. I even watched the show in my hotel room at Saratoga, New York one year instead of being with friends at a coctail reception during a NY photographic conference. Yes, I agree, most of the Oscar shows have turned out to be overblown extravaganzas but there were great unforgettable moments like last year when the Acadmy finally gave their black members the recognition they long derserved. How can one ever forget that very touching and emotional acceptance speech by Halle Berry? The classic moment however was the time a nude man streaked across the stage when David Niven was at the podium about to present an award many years ago. I am looking forward to Steve Martin's because he is one of my favorite performers but was disappointed at his last gig hosting the show a few years ago. My only wish for the evening is that the all of the winners would refrain from making political speeches except to wish our troops well and they all come home safely from a war that is almost a certainty now if Saddam Hussein does not willingly accept to go into exile .

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-17-2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of agendas will present themselves at the Academy Awards. Trust me, actors and the like KNOW what they are talking about. Their opinions actually matter more than people like you and me. We should have an actor as president. Oh wait....

Don't forget, it will be broadcast in Dolby Digital.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-18-2003 12:44 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad Whoopie Goldberg isn't involved.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-18-2003 01:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger that. I'd rather see Letterman do "Uma, Oprah" again than put up with another year of Goldberg.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did watch the Avademy Awards last night and was very pleased at the way the show was presented. I think it was the shortest in recent memory at three and a half hours. The show was taped and shown two hours after it started on the west coast and went on at 6:30 PM HST. Because our Hawaii ABC affiliate is a high definitation station, it was shown in that format with Dolby Digital sound here in Hawaii but I had to settle for low definition and Dolby pro logic sound because I still do not have a Hi Def set-yet. [Frown] Despite the fact that I had to watch a regular telecast, the picture and sound was excellent! Steve Martin did a fabulous job and I thought he was better this year than the first time. My favorite part of the show was the annual tribute to all of the members of the Aacdemy who had passed away during the past year. I also enjoyed the tribute to past Oscar winners and was glad to see my childhood idol, Margaret O'Brian. It was also good to see another child actor who was was just about my age when he made "THE YEARLING" in 1946, Claude Jarmin Jr. George Chakiris who disappeared after making one or two movies following his Academy Award winning performance in "WEST SIDE STORY" was also there and it was good to see him after all these years. It was also good to see film legends such as Olivia de Havilland, the only surviving major cast member from "GONE WITH THE WIND there as well as Luise Rainer who won an Oscar in 1937 for "THE GOOD EARTH" as well as another film I could not recall at the moment. Elizabeth Taylor was scheduled to make her final show business appearance but did not show up for the event.I wonder what happened? I thought the pacing of the show was just right and did not drag like previous years. As far as the major awards was concerned, I was very pleased when all of the winners were first timers instead of stars who had won before. "SPIRITED AWAY", was an unexpected winner and although I have not seen the movie, I am sure the award was richly deserved. Thank God, the Academy once again shut out Georgie boy by denying him an Oscar for the only nomination he received for "STAR WARS-EPISODE II".

-Claude

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have fallen asleep early into the show.
Who was presenting? (ok I must have fallen asleep really early [Big Grin] ).

(BTW in the UK The show aired live is 12:50am -5:05am)

I'm probably still recovering from the students union elections two Thursdays ago, where I got up at 5:30am Thursday and went to sleep at 6:30am friday. (Yes I was a candidate in the elections and no I didn't win).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This year, Kodak's VISION Premier Color Print Film earned an Academy Scientific and Technical Award (presented at the Sci-Tech Awards dinner March 1):

http://www.oscars.org/75academyawards/scitech.html

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/pressReleases/pr20030227-01.shtml

http://www.hollywoodindustry.com/2003/02_feb/news/cw_kodak_oscar.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: