Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Ribbon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Ribbon
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-17-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I hate this ribbon. Sure, you can feel bad for a world event, but do you REALLY need to wear a ribbon to show rememberance/awareness/support for AIDS victims or whatnot? I always see it on actors and other people in the public eye after some sort of tragedy. Does this automatically mean that they care? This same ribbon seems to represent every tragedy that occurs. Except 9/11. That one was/still is represented by a small US flag pin, which I think is pretty cool. But the ribbon annoys me greatly for some reason. It's just so, well.... politically correct! Ugh.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-17-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is simple:

Just wear a BROWN ribbon which should mean, "I don't give a shit!"

-

Really! [Big Grin]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-18-2003 07:53 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since two weeks after 911 I have worn a pin of the "Twin Towers"
encased in a black ribbon and and American Flag across the top of the buildings.

It is my way of letting people know that I remember and I will NOT forget.

[ 03-18-2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Bob Maar ]

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe, ever see the Seinfeld episode where Kramer enters an AIDS walk and refuses to wear the ribbon and gets beat up later for not wearing it.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 02:38 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember on the Daily Show that one of their "correspondents" was wearing a jacket with every type of Awareness Ribbon known to man on it. Including a clear one, the "Anti-Awareness Ribbon Awareness Ribbon" or something to that effect.

The only time I wear a "ribbon" is around my finger so I remember things that way. Most of the time, I forget what it's there for, though. [eyes]

=TMP=

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-18-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does this automatically mean that they care?
No, Joe, it means that they care more than you do.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-19-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Tim... in order to show the world that I care a lot about something, I am required to wear a ribbon? If I don't wear one and someone else does that means they care more than I do? Not sure I follow your logic there.

The ribbon seems more of a fashion statement than anything.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-19-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the whole ribbon thing is dumb including tying a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree...

I think it has been over-used and now means zip. The Seinfeld episode was great to illustrate the stupidity of political correctness taken to the ridiculous.

I for one, will wear my ear, lip, nose, and eyebrow rings along with my nipple piercings to show my remembrance/awareness/support for, ummmmm whatever!

>>> Phil

Bob Maar

- posted 03-19-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil......Who the hell do you think your kidding.....I saw all those rings at the film-tech drink in Las Vegas.

You may want to believe that you don't care and that you don't give a damn. But you know what..you do...just as I do because we come from a different time and a different place.

Only the older members will understand and I know that Paul Thompson is one of them.....God Bless, the people who understand that we are,what we are because of what we went through. May they never understand exactly, what that means, but may they always, "to thine own selves be true." Semper Fi! [Wink]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-19-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Bob, calm down, and have a martini...or some oysters. [Big Grin] I never said I didn't care. As you know, I care a whole lot. Even without all my piercings! [evil]

And now, that "IT" seems to have started, I pray for our young guys and women who are doing their job for us. I also weep for the innocents that are caught up in all this.

Oh, BTW, I don't think age or "era" has anything to do with it. I think it's the particular individual's beliefs and "center" that guides their opinions and feelings.

>>> Phil

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-19-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So Tim... in order to show the world that I care a lot about something, I am required to wear a ribbon? Not sure I follow your logic there.

Joe, I was being sarcastic. The in-yer-face ribbon-ites seem to think that symbolism gets things done - or says that they care... oh so much more than you or I!

Oh, yes, they're "raising awareness", whatever the hell that means.

[Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-20-2003 10:03 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha. I guess the lack of a "smiley" confused me. And boy was I confused! [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-20-2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, c'mon!! I figured you'd get it right off the bat. [Smile]

[Big Grin] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Bob Maar

- posted 03-21-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Wiz Phil,

What a great idea. I took your suggestion and I have been drinking "Martini's" for the past two days. They sure are delicious...I have finished a large bottle of Beefeater's, also of Bombay Saphire, two bottles of Plymouth Gin and several bottles of Grey Goose. I have run out of onions and had to finish the one in my hand with an olive. I havn't had an olive since the www.film-tech.com drink. [Smile] [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-21-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, perhaps time to check into AA? If not AA, then how about AAA? You could at least get your car fixed. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: