Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cinemeccanica Sneak Preview... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica Sneak Preview...
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Argh!!! CineMeCCaNica!!!! Please!!! [Eek!] [Smile]

P.S. The V5 compared to others booth seems a toy!

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonio,

Do You think that Cinemeccanica look like a toy ? I don't.
These machines will equip ours nexts multiplexes, I'm happy off that [Smile]
The presentation with a transparent cover was verry amazing.
But had You saw the Christie booth ? the new handle to open and close the changeover dousser is [thumbsdown] If a projectionist is urged to thread a movie, it could accidentally break this fragile rod.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-18-2003 03:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personaly rather like the V5 machine as they typically give very good service and little problems when looked after by professional operators. No projector likes poor care being given to it

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 04:03 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Cinemeccanica's V5 is a machine that does its job, nothing more. Victoria 5 simply doesn't have the precision of other projectors.

As I wrote some time ago I worked with Kinoton Platters, when I started working with CNR I realize how good Kinoton was.

I've nothing to say about reliability.

Bye
Antonio

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-18-2003 04:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't use the framing mechanism the V5 will produce a pretty steady image. With the newer style gates it is even better.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-18-2003 04:24 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The V5's Achilles heel is that single-bearing intermittent. One film wrap, or bump from an operator's shoulder (ouch!), and the picture jumps up and down on the screen.

I agree, Antonio, precision doesn't seem to be in Cinemeccanica's vocabulary. Just order a replacement gear for a V8!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-18-2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Cinemeccanica still make the V8, or do they only sell the V5 now?

I agree that the V5 is functional (i.e. it projects a picture and reproduces sound) and gentle on film, but I don't really understand why anyone would buy one when so many better alternatives (Century, Simplex, Kinoton, etc.) exist which are of higher quality and more readily available on the used/rebuilt market.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-18-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if they do or not, Scott. But I ordered a shutter gear assembly three times for the V8 over at Braintree. I finally had to resort to cutting the shaft down with emory cloth to get one of them to fit.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Cinemeccancia still make Victoria 8's 35/70, mostly to order as they are a lot more expensive than the V5's.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-19-2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vic 8 parts are fitted to match the stub shaft of the head that is usually just press fitted in.
Unless you want to quote the serial number with a part order(allways recomended even with us machines) order the complete assembly
Only ever had 2 gears to replace in a vic 8
As for vic5 the newer gates produce as steady of picture as a century or a simplex.
And the new gear boxs have given absolutly no trouble at all
My opinion is if the vic5 in a theatre is giving trouble check out the operator first

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, I never said that V5 is giving trouble! I told that is a toy compared with other machines!!!

The assembly of the digital reader, the precision of the entire machine is not comparable with other brands.

I've already said that the V5 does its job, nothing more.

Bye
Antonio

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-20-2003 08:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I could sleep at night after having sold someone V-5's!! Standard Simplex's would do a better on screen job and perform better,and last longer overall. The V-8 is ok, and long lived, but the whole philosophy there seems to be to build them just enough to get a picture on the screen.
Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the whole philosophy there seems to be to build them just enough to get a picture on the screen
Hence why they are so popular with the 'film factory' multiplexes. Cheap and mostly does the job.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-20-2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark that is far from true. Most Vic 5's run for years and years with no troubles some of the ones I have installed have been running for about 20 years. If the belts are changed regularly they give very little trouble.
And the new curved gate produces's a far steadier image than most other machines

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-20-2003 08:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After they put proper lateral guides on the film traps, they were no longer a problem - a new gate design was unnecessary. The main problem with image unsteadiness in Cinemeccanicas are single-bearing intermittents. The operator end of the starshaft is easily bent, which causes vertical unsteadiness on the screen.

The other weak link was the use of nylon gears in the shutter gearboxes. But, since they're now making those out of steel, it should become a non-issue.
quote:
Vic 8 parts are fitted to match the stub shaft of the head that is usually just press fitted in. Unless you want to quote the serial number with a part order(allways recomended

I did. The whole assembly was too fat and wouldn't let the shutter bearing retainer mate with the main casting. I had to remove the gear (a job in itself) and make it fit the existing shaft, in order to get the projector back together without it leaking. Cinemeccanica admitted they've had problems being consistent.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: