Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disney is screwing up our show times (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Disney is screwing up our show times
Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking with the owner of our theater, he told me that Disney has requested that we start there evening movies at 7pm for the first show, I can't see a clan of kids comming to see piglets big movie, at 7pm.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When would you start it, Patrick?

We try to run those kid shows somewhere between 6:05 [Big Grin] & 6:30. There's pretty much no point to a 9pm show around here for a pic like that.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 09:59 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run our show as followed, 6:00,6:15,6:30 for the first set. And 9:00,9:15,9:30 for the second set of night shows.I would run an animated picture as early as possible 6:00 or so.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-21-2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of a studio demanding an exact showtime, save for sneaks. Sometimes they'll refer to the second last show of the night or your first post 6:00pm show as the "7 o'clock show". Basically they want to make sure that it gets played once a day during the week.

If you only want to run 'kids movies' for matinees, wait a month, book flat rates and play it when you want.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you misunderstand what Disney requires, which is that you get at least one show in at 7pm or later. They do this to hinder theatres from doubling up auditoriums with kids shows in the afternoon and adult shows at night. They do not wish to become known as a "kiddie show" company.

Rick Stowell
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Rick Stowell   Email Rick Stowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell is right. I received a letter at home from Disney. They were appalled at the abuse to playing "Jungle Book 2" no earlier than 6 PM (for the last show). "Piglet" definitely has a 7 PM requirement for the last show (or later).

We would ordinarily play "Piglet" at 12:30 2:30 4:30 6:30 and follow with something else later. We are now required to play "Piglet" at 1:00 3:00 5:00 7:00. Even though we consider our 6:30 show our "7:00 showing", Disney does not.

If anybody from Disney is reading this, in my nine years, no other film company has been harder to work with, not even close.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we do have pigglet doubled up with the pianist, so we are running only one show of the pianist at 8:30.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Cinemas in Manville has Piglet at 10 AM, 12:15, 2:30, 4:45 and 7 -- with Willard last show only. The AMC Bridgewater Commons has Piglet at 1, 3:15, 5:10 and 7:10 with Gangs of New York last show only.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 06:42 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
generally we schedule the disney animated films to run between 7 and 7:30 for start times. We have not received anything from Disney in reguards to there wanting us to stat the film at 7 and only 7. Just so happens though that I scheduled the film for 7 anyway.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to the owner again about this and he is going to look at the contract more closely.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 11:55 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always interpreted their "7 or later" requirement as making sure that they get at least one show at regular full-blown evening admission prices. A lot of theaters run "rush-hour" or "twilight" admissions for shows between 5 and 7. Making sure that there's at least one show at regular admission guarantees that Disney gets the maximum amount of green from some hapless parent who gets sucked into taking their kids to one of their films after they get off work.

When dealing with Disney, always assume evil. [evil]

Rick Stowell
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for Rick Stowell   Email Rick Stowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicholas - I made the same interpretation, but Disney told me it was wrong. We charge "full admission" for any showing after 6PM (we try to avoid starting a film right at 6PM for the confusion), so I assumed starting "Piglet" at 6:30 would be fine. It MUST start at 7:00 or later. 7:10 is okay, 7:15 is okay, 9:00 is okay. They just informed me that 6:59 is not okay.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had Disney call me on Friday morning and told me the same thing, change your 6:30 showtime or else face no product this summer! Its the dumbest thing I've ever heard, but we pushed it back to 7pm to comply.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-22-2003 11:25 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't reply to this yesterday because I thought I was getting away with something and I didn't want the spies to catch us.... The owener sets up the schedule and auditoriums, which I then correct his errors when he has 3 films starting at the same time and sometimes move films around because he only goes by number of seats and not by picture format or soundtrack of the movie. Anyway, he had this one set up for 630 and never said a word about it. Of course we got a really nasty phone call yesterday afternoon and a threat letter from them, so I get to go fix the schedule today - good thing I didn't activate the whole week yet. We have tears of the sun right behind it at 830, and everything is piled right around it. I think I can just squeeze it in. If all else fails I'll just have to yank the trailers off I guess... wouldn't be the frist time - I had to do that with recruit. Of course the damn thing is in our suckiest house and there is no make-up table in there so I'll have to drag it to another booth if that becomes necessary....

Anyway.... this blows....

PS. Rachel - I'm gonna get you for giving Brad that pic!! [Smile]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 11:58 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why would you need the make-up table to take the trailers off of the film? Just pull them out or run them onto the ring and move the ring to another area where there is a table and pull them off. No need to move the whole print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: