Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » XP Firewall

Author Topic: XP Firewall
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-22-2003 12:38 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am slowly getting used to XP. After installing the modem in my new computer, I set up the dial-up account and discovered there was an option to enable a firewall for this connection. Is this firewall any good or would it be recommended to use another program?

|  IP: Logged

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-22-2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use it. Overall it seems to work pretty good, but if you start doing things with your computer, like running a webcam, some online games, etc, you will need to study it just a bit so that you open up the ports you need. It's default configuration is pretty tight.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-22-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me one of the objectives of a firewall would be to keep Microsoft out. I suppose this is rather an illusion if I use the XP firewall...

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-22-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to run zonealarm - that was my favorite, but I think when I found out XP had one built in I became lazy....

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 08:39 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft XP installation or activation requires you to accept an end user license agreement that gives Microsoft remote root access to your machine to do whatever they want to - and now you want to keep them out so they can't do what you said they could? Shame.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-22-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I didn`t read the license, I just clicked on yes. I don`t like the idea that they can look into my system, of course. On the other hand, they wouldn`t find anything of interest for them. And then there are millions and millions of users.

I am aware that Media Player stores info about what type of films and music you consume so that they can have free market polls from their users. But then I don`t use the program anyway.

I don`t store sensitive information, like bank access codes, on the computer. I just use it to surf, read, play, watch DVDs. If the XP firewall provides me with solid protection for the unlikely case that someone wants to attack my system, then it`s OK for me.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-26-2003 03:06 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too use Zone Alarm because I don't trust Microsoft's motives in providing an inbuilt firewall. As for that clause in the licence, it's almost certainly illegal under our Data Protection Act. If they tried to enforce that clause (i.e. by taking me to court and demnanding that I allow them acccess to the contents of my hard drive) the resulting negative publicity would be the best thing that could possibly happen to Apple and Linux.

Anyway, they're never going to get much data out of my PCs (home and laptop) becuase those machines are never online for more than the few seconds it takes to send and download e-mails. After that's done I physically unplug the modem from the 'phone line (mainly as an extra line of defence against viruses and Trojans trying to go online behind my back).

I don't keep any personally sensitive infomation on my networked PC at work so Big Bad Bill can take what he likes off that.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 10:09 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Nortan's Firewall (it came free with my motherboard) it works really well and also includes a spam and pop-up filter. It dosn't get them all but enough for me to notice a difference. I use to surf the web with my Active Java Scripting off, but now I don't have to do that anymore.

Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have run and tried many firewalls. I use zone alarm most of the time. As far as microsoft having all kinds of access, I don't see it. My machine tries to connect to microsoft sure, but it's usually looking for updates and so on. It only happems when I start a program or access a function that needs the web. I have never had microsoft attempt to contact my machine. Not once.

I run zone alarm and the XP firewall together. Works for me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: