Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Family Vacation. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Family Vacation.
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-23-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for some reason my family (4 whole people!) have decided to go on a family vacation this year in September. We have no clue where we are going but I am trying to convince everyone to go to California because I have never been there and have a couple friends scattered around the state. Can anyone give me a reason to convince people to go to Cali? I know its huge and if we went it would probably be somewhere in the area of either Disneyland or Hollyood.

And is there anywhere else (we are leaning towards staying in the states for obvious reasons) that would make a good vaca spot? Take in mind by that time no one will be under 23--me being the baby! [Big Grin]

Vegas and Disneyworld are also locations we are checking into.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-23-2003 03:59 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my family (4 whole people!)
It is good to know that you have no 1/2, 1/3 or even 1/4 people in your family.
That would be you, Manny, Daryl, and who was the fourth?

California (and Las Vegas) is the ONLY place in the US I have been to. So I have no comparison, but I can tell you that there are many reasons to visit
- very nice and varied landscapes from green rolling hills to real mountains to deserts (Death Valley!) to immense forests (Yosemite), and of course the "other" ocean.
- lots of tourist attractions, Disneyland (or -world, I can neve figure that out), Hollywood, Legoland (that would be particularly attractive for you, Rachel), Wild Animal Park, Seaworld.
- at this time of the year, you can go on a whale watching cruise from San Diego and see real whales in the wild.
- you can see submarines and aircraft carriers (though I am not sure if they are there right now, they seem to be busy elsewhere).
- very good climate and very relaxed, liberal people (although that seems to be an insult for "real" Americans).
- lots of seafood. I can point you to a great seafood place in San Diego.
- when I was there I spotted Brad Pitt in a supermarket. Provided you are prepared to pay me handsomely, I will let you know which one.
- Mexican music on the radio.
- you can visit Phil.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-23-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is good to know that you have no 1/2, 1/3 or even 1/4 people in your family.
That would be you, Manny, Daryl, and who was the fourth?

The fourth is Phil!

quote:
- lots of tourist attractions, Disneyland, Hollywood, Legoland (that would be particularly attractive for you, Rachel), Wild Animal Park, Seaworld.

Why are you so mean?!?!? [Big Grin]

quote:
at this time of the year, you can go on a whale watching cruise from San Diego and see real whales in the wild.
I have no interest what-so-ever in whale watching. I live in a fishing town--we are famous for our whale watching. [Smile]

quote:
- you can visit Phil.
WHOHOO! I can also possibly go see at least one of Aaron's theaters!

Thanks for the response even if it is from a German! [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-23-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why are you so mean?!?!?
Mean? I like Legoland myself. I visited the original in Denmark and even rode in a Lego motorboat.

quote:
I live in a fishing town--we are famous for our whale watching.
You can see gray whales which are extinct from the Atlantic Ocean thanks to your ancestors.

quote:
Thanks for the response even if it is from a German!
I could point you to a lot of interesting places here in Europe. But you were right, for obvious reasons that would not be a good idea. Ian got arrested when he stepped out of the plane in Paris.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-23-2003 04:22 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does that not surprise me?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-23-2003 04:25 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When going on a family vacation, I think it depends on what you actually want to do during the vacation time.

When I was younger, I enjoyed the good-old outdoors, camping, hiking, and basically getting away from people. However, due to age, that has all changed.

Now I enjoy visiting close friends, and stopping off to visit areas that still have favorable "reflections" of my younger years.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-23-2003 05:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WHOHOO! I can also possibly go see at least one of Aaron's theaters!
If you head that far north! [Smile] You would pass right by the one in Los Banos on the way up *nudge-nudge* [Smile] heh

-Aaron

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-23-2003 06:02 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, because you have worked so hard this year I will be happy to watch your cat and hampsters while you travel. Don't worry about [thumbsup] sending their food with them. Yum, Yum, Good.

[ 03-24-2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Bob Maar ]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-23-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,
I'm leaving soon on vacation. Would you come and watch my salt-water aquarium for me? It has tuna and yellow fin fish and several live oysters. I'm ***sure*** they will be safe with you.

>>> Phil

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-23-2003 06:42 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, making Sushi is not so difficult. You can buy the rice vinegar and wasabi ready from every Asian food store.
If you slaughter the fish directly from the aquarium, it will be very fresh.
You don`t have to kill the oysters, though. Just drop on some lemon juice and suck them from the shell.
That will be a great entree course to the hamster hotpot and grilled cat.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not remember things that good, -but wasn't it a certain Mr Maar, starring somt ten-twelve years ago in "A Fish called Wanda" ? - Goldfish AND hampsters - the american way of Sushi [Big Grin]

Of course, i too visited Legoland - but i was rejected at the boats. They were afraid of flooding the whole place [Frown]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-23-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My cat is called Wanda...enough said.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having lived in southern California for half my life, I have great fondness for it. [Smile] There really is a hell of a lot to see and do. Disneyland is amazing if you've never been. Sea World. Etc. Hollywood is interesting in its own ways -- Just avoid whatever motel that was where Michael almost got mugged. [Wink] Now unfortunately, September is not the best time to see LA as it's likely to be hot and very very dry (the hills will be brown, not green like in the spring). But you can still have fun. Go! At the very worst, you'll have some stories to tell your friends back in Gloucester about what a hell-hole Los Angeles is. [Wink]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 11:08 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should drive so you can see such important sites as the world's largest ball of twine, and, of course, the Muffler Men. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-24-2003 12:00 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil are you and Rachel going on vacation together? She is a newly Wed.

I will be happy to watch your Salt Water Tank. Does it come with that wonderful sunset that you posted someplace. Do I get to answer all of your mail. Please leave combo to safe in mailbox with your safety deposit key around the top of the Gin Bottle.

Have a great time now, ya hear! [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: