Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 75th Academy Award Winners

Author Topic: 75th Academy Award Winners
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-24-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm surprised to notice no one else posted the winners so here you go!

List of Winners:

BEST PICTURE
CHICAGO
Martin Richards

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Adrien Brody
THE PIANIST

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Chris Cooper
ADAPTATION

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Nicole Kidman
THE HOURS

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Catherine Zeta-Jones
CHICAGO

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
SPIRITED AWAY
Hayao Miyazaki

ART DIRECTION
CHICAGO
John Myhre (Art Direction); Gordon Sim (Set Decoration)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
ROAD TO PERDITION
Conrad L. Hall

COSTUME DESIGN
CHICAGO
Colleen Atwood

DIRECTING
THE PIANIST
Roman Polanski

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE
Michael Moore and Michael Donovan

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
TWIN TOWERS
Bill Guttentag and Robert David Port

FILM EDITING
CHICAGO
Martin Walsh

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
NOWHERE IN AFRICA
Germany
Directed by Caroline Link

MAKEUP
FRIDA
John Jackson and Beatrice De Alba

MUSIC (SCORE)
FRIDA
Elliot Goldenthal

MUSIC (SONG)
8 MILE
'Lose Yourself'
Music by Eminem, Jeff Bass and Luis Resto; Lyric by Eminem

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
THE CHUBBCHUBBS!
Eric Armstrong

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
THIS CHARMING MAN (DER ER EN YNDIG MAND)
Martin Strange-Hansen and Mie Andreasen

SOUND
CHICAGO
Michael Minkler, Dominick Tavella and David Lee

SOUND EDITING
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
Ethan Van der Ryn and Michael Hopkins

VISUAL EFFECTS
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook and Alex Funke

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
THE PIANIST
Screenplay by Ronald Harwood

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
TALK TO HER
Written by Pedro Almodóvar

HONORARY AWARD
Peter O'Toole

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-24-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad year, but it's interesting that Chicago (which I haven't seen and don't have any particular interest in seeing) did so well. I would have liked to see Two Towers do better, though.

I can't believe that Bowling for Columbine won Best Documentary (especially since it wasn't really a documentary at all--just a political propaganda piece) and that Kid Stays in the Picture wasn't even nominated for that category.

And Rodrigo Prieto should have at least been nominated for Best Cinematography for 8 Mile (and probably should have won). Of the nominated films for that category, I would have picked Edward Lachman for Far from Heaven...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-26-2003 01:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR: The Return of the King will sweep in 2004. Unless it sucks, of course.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-26-2003 03:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't believe that Bowling for Columbine won Best Documentary (especially since it wasn't really a documentary at all--just a political propaganda piece)
Here here. Well made propaganda and in places quite powerful, but it did not have anywhere near the objectivity and emotional detachment that the word 'documentary' implies. And as for Moore's rant about the war on Iraq, he clearly knows a thing or two about passing off opinions as fact!

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 10:20 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the LOTR thing. They didn't want to give them too many awards these past two years because they knew that there were more comming (Though not entirely true, if you gave the first one best picture and the others turn out to be even better, how could you not have to give the others the best picture award also?) So I am looking for the year of The Ring next year.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 11:58 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things that troubled me
1)Michael moore had enough time to blast Charlton Heston in the past as did other hollywood celebs for being an NRA member. Yet Moore never felt the need to mention one word about Polanski who was a more relevant issue to his industry?

I can live with possibility of The Pianist getting best picture because I thought it was better than Chicago. But did they have to given Polanski best director? Was he deserving? maybe. But it wsa not like there were not other desrving directors? Equally good efforts have gone unrewarded in past oscars for petty reasons.

And even if one can accept Polanski getting an Oscar, here is one thing I did find reprehensible - a standing O when they announced his name. So Polanski a rapist(If you read the case, you will find that age was really irrelevant to the nature of the crime) , is more acceptable to hollwyood celebs than bush who never raped anyone or Charlton Heston who is merely an NRA head? As far as I can tell, Heston never shot anyone and certainly didnt rape anyone.

I am glad Chicago didn't sweep, and was really glad to see Renee and the chicago song not win as I felt they were the weakest nominees for the movie.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2003 12:29 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Michael moore had enough time to blast Charlton Heston in the past as did other hollywood celebs for being an NRA member.
Actiually, Michael Moore is also a card carrying member of the NRA.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-27-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pravin,

The woman who was sexually assaulted by Roman Palansky now lives in Hawaii and is happily married with children. She was interviewed by our local newspaper and once again said she has no ill fellings towards the famed film director after forgivig him years ago. In fact, she wished Mr. Palansky well with his best director Academy Award nomination. If this woman has it in her heart to forgive, I think everyone else should do the same! I saw "THE PIANIST" and I considered it an excellent and moving film and yes, the Oscar Roman Palansky won was richely deserved.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: