Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Are $2.00 bills worth more than their face value? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are $2.00 bills worth more than their face value?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 08:14 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going through some old papers in my office today and came across an envelope containing seven crispy $2.00 bills with a portrait of Thomas Jefferson. They were all minted in 1976. Does anyone know if they are worth more than their face value?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. Just two dollars. We get these from time to time at the theater. I don't so much collect them but I tend to buy them as they come in. I like to give them out as tips when I am in a restruant or a bar. I am suprise the number of people that haven't seen them before.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-24-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see on sell.com's website the $2.00 with Jefferson on the front and Declaration of Independence on the back, but it does not say what year they were printed, but it did say "new condition." The price was $12.00 per item (negotiable)

So, maybe they are worth something. Save them. [Smile]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if that is a good indication or not. I am sure that you have seen some of the scams that unscrupulous people try to get away with selling on E-bay because other people are ignorant as to it's true value (anyone remember PICTURES of Playstation 2 selling for $100.00 two christmases ago because bidders did not read the auction carefully and relise what they were really bidding for). Unless someone can point to some kind of collectors website that says differently, I am stil convenced that they are only worth their face value.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're worth 12 bucks, I'm heading over to ebay right now to put mine up! I have about $100 worth of $2 bills at home. [Roll Eyes]

We give 50 cent coins as change in the boxoffice. You wouldn't believe the people who just LOVE to get them. "I haven't seen one of these in years!"

I don't tell'em that we buy them by the bag-full at the bank every week. [Big Grin]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I "deal" in $2 bills as one of my wacko side hobbies (I'll sell them to you for $1.99 for quantities less than 100 [Wink] ). $2 bills aren't worth any more than two dollars in the general case, but like all bills, if you go back far enough, they can be worth something.

In 1976, the $2 reverse changed to a Bicentenial version, and the $2 is still that way today. Most of the $2s you see are 1995 Fort Worth -printed $2s (Mary Ellen Withrow/Robert E. Rubin), but there are a fair bit of 1976 twos in circulation. I'd say for a given strap (100-count) of used $2s, I see 60% 1995 and 40% 1976. But usually I just get fresh clean 1995 $2s.

Anyhow, 1976 $2s aren't worth anything more than $2.
If you want to find the value of an older bill, pick up a copy of Bank Note Reporter and turn to the "price guide" section. It'll tell you what all US paper money is worth, approximately.

--jhawk

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-24-2003 11:28 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The people here and their vast variety of knowledge, talents, interests, and hobbies never ceases to amaze me! [beer]

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-24-2003 11:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can I say? Personally, I would settle for $1.95 for a $2.00 bill. I hate those things! Nobody wants them!

But I still say, keep them if you have them. Heck, they are "already paid for" and maybe someday when Uncle Sam finally realizes nobody wants them and discontinues printing of them, they may be worth something.

Remember the Edsel by the Ford Motor Company? [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-25-2003 12:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like the $2 bill...a very logical denomination and would much prefer it's adoption over the stupid small $1 coins or the elimination of the penny.

Steve

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but do you have any Susan B. Anthony dollars???

quote:
I came across an envelope containing seven crispy $2.00 bills. Does anyone know if they are worth more than their face value?
quote:
Nah. Just two dollars
You mean $14...he has seven of 'em. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-25-2003 12:51 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple $2 bills in my wallet just to kind of keep as good luck or some superstitious baloney like that. If I find a good "liar's poker" dollar, I'll keep that as well.

Susan B. Anthony dollars are okay. I have a few of those I collected via change at the post office. That's also the only way how I have come across those gold colored Sakajewa (or whatever the hell her name is) dollars.

All the new dollar coins are too small. I like the old Eisenhower dollars coins. I used to have a couple of those, including the Bicentenial version. If you flipped that one onto a counter, the cashier knew for damned sure that you just banged a dollar out there!

Maybe they need to bring back the Liberty dollar coin.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 12:54 AM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone once bought a car from my father and paid him $3000 entirely in $2 bills, Susan B. Anthonys, and Eisenhower dollar coins. My dad deposited it all at the bank, much to the annoyance of the tellers.

At least you know your $2s won't go down in value. All U.S. money is worth it's face value for perpetuity, even bills printed by the individual states before the Civil War (if you can find someone who will take it!).

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-25-2003 12:54 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should go digital (binary). 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc bills and coins.

>>> Phil

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 08:05 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$2 bills are still available from the treasury. Your bank can order them, but only in large quantities.

/Mitchell

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 08:19 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall getting $2 bills at racetracks years ago. Perhaps the denomination begat the $2 bet or vice versa....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: