Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » OUR NICKNAMES. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: OUR NICKNAMES.
John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 10:00 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the vein of the excellent "who are you" topic, I would be interested to hear if anyone in Film-tech land or their colleagues in the business have nick-names. In Adelaide it has been traditional to have such a name.
I have been called "Scruffy" in the past, the latest name is currently "The Skunk" (hence the e-mail name).
At our work there is "Zoltan", "The old goat", "The Dungworm", "Farmer Nick", "Bald Man", and various others.
Perhaps some other people would care to add their details.
John Spooner. South Australia.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-25-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one company, they used to call me "Gisela".
I had handed in a request for a few days off. The manager looked at my signature (which is very wild and dynamic, just like I am) and said he couldn`t read it, who is Gisela Schaffer? From that day on, I was Gisela.
Most of us had nicknames, a lot of which I had created.
A colleague`s last name was "Wobst", so we called him "Obst", which means fruit and has the same connotation as vegetable (=brainless) in German.
A manager`s name was "Backheuer" and we called him "Los Backos".

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-25-2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been called "Fluffy" since about 1992. It's a long story, but I'll try to give the short version. I used to do tech for a local rock band, and the first night I worked for them no one knew my name. I happened to be wearing a T-shirt that said "I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy" on the front of it. One of the guys needed something, and no knowing my name yelled "Hey you - yeah, you - Fluffy". All the band babes thought it was cute, and I didn't find it insulting, so I just left it. I met hundreds of people during the 5 years I worked with that band, and none of them ever knew my real name... still to this day people call me Fluffy, and at my day job too, as the first year I worked here (hospital) the band played for our Xmas party and introduced me to all my co-workers as Fluffy....

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-25-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason many of my friends call me "Pablo" even though I haven't an ounce of Latin blood in me.

Japanese friends and colleagues simply call me "Pohru-san".

Within our craft, my fans call me "Capt. Video" and my detractors call me "Capt. Vidiot".

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-25-2003 12:49 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My long time friends call me:

Yogibeaglesisyosibugspook [Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-25-2003 01:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grumpy [Big Grin]

On Film-Tech, "The Weenie Man" [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I was the second Ian at the Telluride Film Festival, they gave me the radio handle of "Large Ian." It has since morphed to just plain old "Large."

And I ain't getting any smaller! [Big Grin]

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 02:51 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, I've been known as Dirty Dirty Huber. Apparently because I'm a dirty dirty whore. [sex]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A simple, easy-to-remember one for me: Chris (since 1974).

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nick-names...AKA "What the Heck is your nick-name??"

My nick-name since High school is "Chummer"..It originates from the "Tennessee Tuxedo" cartoons. The name of the Walrus in the cartoon is "Chummley". Not sure how it went from Chummley to Chummer..But some how it did. I have had CHUMMR on my license plate since High school.

Paul Goulet

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-25-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I was 14 before I found out my name wasn't "shithead".

>>> Phil

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-25-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody lied to you Phil... it still is. [Big Grin] [evil]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-25-2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
[fu]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-25-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been called Blakes, Spike, and later Stikes (a weird combination of Blakes and Spike, I guess). My brother-in-law used to call me Ace, I never found out where that came from.

Currently I'm mostly nicknameless, except some of my old friends still call me Blakes, and one of my employees calls me "Boss Man" all the time.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-25-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since my last name is soooooooo looooong and no one can spell it right, I've become known as "The Guy From CLACO".
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: