Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Album Covers -- Jesus Christ Superstar

Author Topic: Album Covers -- Jesus Christ Superstar
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-27-2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have an actual vinyl LP of the original "Jesus Christ Superstar" concept album, could you describe or scan the cover so I can verify which one I have?

If you only have the CD please do not comment here because I think they used different artwork.

Mine is a Double-LP and it used to have a booklet inside. The cover is brown and textured (like wood). It has the gold "two angels praying" logo under the title (white letters).

If this is not the original concept recording then do you know which recording had this cover?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-27-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, My double LP has that exact cover (and book) as you described. I originally bought it when it 1st was released like in 1973 or something... I was only 3 years old at the time, so I don't really remember too well. I started collecting music at a VERY young age.... [Razz]

>>> Phil

-

(No comments from you DARYL! Just cuz I FINALLY posted a pic ALL by myself!) [evil]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-27-2003 11:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil nailed it. I have one, too. [Smile]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-28-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one I've got somewhere.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 12:31 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That IS the original concept album. Very common to see several at the record stores, most are really trashed.

I prefer the film soundtrack myself.

Danny
<not only a film nut, but a crazy audiophile with tube amps too....> [Big Grin]

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have the original album that Phil was kind enough to show. I also now have the CD and the art is the same except that background is not brown but white.
Clint

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-28-2003 01:26 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. That's what I was trying to verify. My CD has a white cover and my phonograph needs a new stylus, so I haven't been able to check this. The new artwork on the CD kind-of threw me for a loop. Naturally, the original LP did NOT say "Original Concept Album" so there was no way of instantly knowing if that's what I had. Anyway...Thank you all.

As for which version is my favorite, I would have to go with the one that came out in 1996. This version is quite faithful to the spirit of the original concept album. All performances are stronger and more operatic (with the singular exception of Alice Cooper who is the weak link here) and the orchestration is incredibly powerful. I sense a larger orchestra. Of course, recording technology had improved vastly in the 20+ years since the original. See question, below. There are some changes to the original lyrics in this version. Some work; some don't.

The 1973 movie does nothing for me. It's incredibly flat sounding. The mix -- on the DVD -- places way too much emphasis on the vocals which are uniformly horrible. Yes, I'm including Yvonne Elliman.

The new movie is much better but I have issues with that version, too. The Judas in that version is balls-less, whining, whimpering, nasal-sounding and, by any standard, miscast. I don't know what they were thinking. As is the case with the 1996 CD and the 1973 movie, King Herod is the weakest link. Why do they see the need to inject so much "camp" into this number? It just doesn't work for me -- the original is still the best when it comes to that song. Pilate practically steals the show in the new movie.

By the way...can anybody provide side-by-side spec's on LP technology versus CD?

Dynamic Range
Frequency Response

...any other interesting spec's?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2003 12:43 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The brown textured jacket Manny speaks of is for the original LP release on Decca (US) in 1970. The CD issue on MCA has a printed version of that jacket.

The 1973 soundtrack on MCA has a group image from the film on the LP jacket/CD booklet.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: