Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Whats The Best Vacuum????? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Whats The Best Vacuum?????
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to buy a new vacuum for at home and was wondering what others out there might reccommend.......Salt Lake City is somewhat dusty and my ole bag type Hoover just never did hold the dust in too well. The Hepa filter vacuums are nice but the hepa filters are expensive. Everything is all plastic now too...Does anyone build em from metal any longer?
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a local theater that bought some vacuums recently and they are amazing. I will try and remember to get the brand name and model for you when I am there next.

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2003 02:14 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kirby still builds theirs's out of metal. They are heavy and built like a tank. Also very spendy.

Kirby Website

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-30-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a long time since I have had experience with their products, and they may not be the easiest to find, but Panasonic used to make an awesome line of commercial vaccuums. I once saw a demonstration where they were able to lift a bowling ball with one of them.

I have a Eureka bagless with Hepa, and I also have a Cockatoo, which means lots of white dust. I'm not completely impressed with it. It seems to pick up the dirt OK, but it also seems to be "leaky" as there is always a lot of dust coating its internals.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-30-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a new vacuum, too. It has to be quiet. I hate loud vacuums. The one I try to buy for the Imax booths is a Windsor Versamatic, but I don't want to spend $600 for home.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-30-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hoover Wind Tunnel sees to be a good machine. If you want to get a Kirby, you can make one out of a CFS platter. [Smile]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-30-2003 03:07 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
from Paul:
If you want to get a Kirby, you can make one out of a CFS platter.

... and it'll weigh just about as much!

---

I bought the wife one of those "8 pound" Orecks last year. All of his hype aside, it is a pretty good machine, and MUCH lighter than a Kirby!

It was packaged with a smaller handheld canister vacuum... which I immediately commandeered for the smaller areas of the booth!

Service support seems to be pretty good on this machine, though I don't know how much of that might be tied to local personalities.

Based on the experience, I bought their commercial-size model for the lobby & auditoriums.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The newer Kirby's have more plastic than previous models that I've used.

I still like my Castex Portapac. The one I use does not have HEPA filtration but that is available as an option. My ideal is a central vacuum system.

Castex Portapac

Consumer Reports evaluated canisters and uprights in 2003 February.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-30-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the home you should treat yourself to the Oreck. You can try it free for 30 days and I think you will be presently surprised. Check it out. http://www.oreck.com

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-30-2003 03:57 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a great hand-held vacuum cleaner in the form of a shark! It is called the "dust shark" and you can "feed" it different adapters!

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We hae had some problems with sweepers that take the dirt in through the fan into the bag. The Panasonic was one we considered. There is also one made by Sears that does not take the dirt through the fan. The help was sweeping everything from under the seats into the aisle and then expecting the vac to collect it. Hard candies and unpopped corn kernals were the death of two "Boss" machines befor we got the Panasonic. This machine is quiet enough to use in the lobby after intermission without disturbing the audience.

The best overall machine was a Sears shop vac with 1.3 HP Motor and an extra long hose. That machine does not take the dirt into the blower blades and has lots of pulling power. They are noisy though.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small Kirby Dual Sanitronic that was built in 1969. I found it on eBay for $30. After a thorough cleaning, and new bearings, it really sucks!!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2003 08:10 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, I guess your 'puter is fixed?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-30-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEPA filters kick ass. [thumbsup]

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2003 02:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a vacuum [Razz] ?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: