Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Obtaining a projectonist licence (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Obtaining a projectonist licence
Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 08:56 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know were to start to obtain a licence or a phone number where I could call? For Massachussetts

|  IP: Logged

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 09:38 AM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling that if I walked into my theater with a license in my hand waving to the managers. Noone would even care.
I know some theaters might require it, but would I be gaurenteed a raise or something?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 09:38 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick try

It is listed as Motion Picture Operators License

www.state.ma.us/sec/cis/ciscig/K/K1K79.HTM#k24

Division of Inspection
Dept of Public Safety
One Ashburton Place, Room 1301
Boston, Ma. 02108

(617) 727-3200
(800) 223-0933 toll free

Tim wrote:

quote:
I know some theatres might require it.
Some states and cities require a motion picture operators
license to work. It's a outdated law, but it's used mostly
as a fee making license. In NYC you have to have a license.
The cost in NYC is $200 for the test and $60 for the license
which is good for 2 years. On renewal if you don't renew
during the grace time (30 days after license expires), you
have to take the test over and pay the $200 fee all over again.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-01-2003 10:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact information is as Bill provided.

Massachusetts requires licensing. The cost is $50 per two years, although the license expires on one's birthday, so the first one will need to be renewed before two full years. There is a fifty-question true/false test required to get the initial license. New licenses must be "sponsored" by existing licenses (which just means that you need someone else's license number in order to take the test).

The test is pretty difficult to fail. Most of it is either common sense or knowledge of state laws (which are mostly pretty obvious, though it might be good to get a copy of the current laws from the State House bookstore ahead of time). Know about fire extinguishers, 35mm film runs at 90 feet per minute, nitrate film is not allowed in any booth in Massachusetts, know what rheostats, transformers, and rectifiers are, etc.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 11:53 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'd-a never thought the test would be so high...

$200! Sounds like it might be a part of the Department Of Transportation! [Big Grin]

I dont think that NC has a license test anymore. They couldn't. I can imagine a licensed operator doing the crap work that I see in my local theatres.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 12:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pennsylvania also requires licensure, but for a lot less $$$. My initial testing was something like fifteen dollars and my yearly renewal is only ten dollars. Questions are about equal to Scott's Massachusett example.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NYC licensing is handled by the Dept. of Consumer Affairs.

The test is very similar to what Scott said. In Los Angeles
you do not need a license except when you are projecting Nitrate.
You get that from the LA Fire Dept.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pennsylvania repealed its law requiring projectionists to be licensed about 3 years ago. Pennsylvania will still take your money and issue a projectionist license if you want one, but it is no longer required. As part of the repeal the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry lost its authority to issue citations to theatres for not having a licensed projectionist on the premises.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-01-2003 02:23 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old General Cinema Theatre "gcbooth" website had a primer for the Massachusetts test:

http://zulugruv.home.texas.net/gcc/primer.html

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great thank you for the replys [Smile]

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2003 01:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan,

Labor & Industry's Gestapo agents are still making periodical checks of our theatre and wanting to see our "papers". I believe you, since the permits & licensure section of L & I's website no longer mentions a projection license per se, but still they come.

Anyway, I really don't mind one way or the other. "State Licensed Film Projectionist" looks impressive on a resume. [Big Grin]

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 07:58 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, duplicate post

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 08:02 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The state of Massachusetts is an interesting case. A number of years back (1988?) the department of Public Safety and the State Police were one and the same. When they split they didn't do a good job splitting up the resonsibility.
In Massachusetts you are supposed to have lisenced projectionists and a "certified" booth. However, if you call the office of Public Safety to report an offender, they will tell you that the job of enforcing the law falls to the state police. Call the state police and they will laugh at you. At one point in time I was involved in building a theater in Mass. I tried for 6 months to get the guy from the office of Public Safety to come out to "certify" our booth. He never even returned my phone calls (one or two of them a week). Long story short, outdated law that is not enforced.
Jonathan

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 08:08 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That explains alot, thank you [Smile]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-04-2003 04:53 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to get my license I had a study manual for the state of Massachuesetts (it was very old and outdated). Now, one of my employees is going to get it but the study booklet is no where to be found. Does anyone have study sheets for the Massachesetts test? Anything would help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: