Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » (?)Theatre Sound Formats For Dummies(?) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: (?)Theatre Sound Formats For Dummies(?)
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 03:01 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking to be treated like moron for this question, meaning, don’t assume that I know anything about this. Any other threads I can read to get info?

Can someone give me a crash course in sound formats/systems?

What are?
Mono
Stereo
DTS
SDDS
Digital
Dolby Digital

What are the differences or what is the order in quality?
What other formats are being used in theatres?
Do these names have any other aliases?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-04-2003 04:43 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click here

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 08:00 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mono -One channel analog sound

Stereo - two (or more) channels analog sound. This can also refer to Dolby Stereo with is a 4 channel analog surround sound system.

DTS - 6 Channel digital sound, sound is held on a CD, a timecode on the films keeps it in sync.

SDDS - 6 or 8 channel digital sound. Sound is recorded on both edges of the film.

Digital - (see DTS, SDDS, Dolby Digital)

Dolby Digital (SRD) - 6 channel Digital Sound. Sound is recorded in-between the sprocket holes on one side of the film.

In terms of the order in quality. This is debatable.

For me its:
DTS, Dolby Digital, SDDS

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I'm going to pretend to be an idiot. (pretend? [Wink] )

[idiot mode]

quote:
analog
what's analog?

quote:
digital
for that matter, what's digital?

quote:
timecode
what's a timecode? that sounds like some sort of rule about how long the movie can be.

[/idiot mode] (are you sure about that, John?) [/multiple personality mode]

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2003 08:05 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Sound History Timeline
Motion Picture Sound - Part 1
American Widescreen Museum - The History of Motion Picture Sound
Elmer's Guide to Motion Picture Sound Formats

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2003 09:38 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Brief Explanation of Film Sound that I wrote for hsvmovies.com long ago.

analog = data represented by continuously variable physical qualities (like strength of magnetic field left on tape after head passes over, or spacing between gaps on a Laserdisc).

digital = data represented by numerical digits (sequence of zeros and ones, as on a CD, or a sequence of discrete quantities using any representation which may be reproduced exactly without loss).

However, the terms are sometimes misused. Digital data can be stored in analog form on media (such as tape or laserdisc media (Look at how Dolby Digital is stored on the analog soundtrack!)) Some analog devices are referred to as digital devices if they contain digital frame buffers. Most "Digital TVs" beig sold take analog inputs, redigitize the signals, and do digital processing on them before displaying them on CRTs by sending the CRTs an analog signal.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the description I've given to a few people who've looked at me sideways upon hearing the term:

The DTS timecode on a film print is basically a really long barcode that tells a computer (more or less) which part of the movie is showing on the screen, the computer plays the corresponding part of the soundtrack from a CD-Rom.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-06-2003 01:05 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would argue that dts timecode is actually many barcodes in succession and not one long one.

---

as for a working definition of the formats (for dummies) i offer the following:

first we need to establish the terms "track" and "channel." [note: see also michael schaffer's definition below.]

a track is an actual individual recording. a cassette audio tape contains two tracks -- one for the left channel, the other for the right channel.

a channel is a path to a loudspeaker -- or to an array of loudspeakers. in the cassette tape example, the left channel is driven by the left track on the compact disc but the terms are not necessarily mutually exclusive, as we shall soon see.

mono -- one channel of sound. this can be driven by a single track or else by two identical tracks (see matrix decoding, below)

stereo -- anyone with normal hearing listens in stereo. most stereo applications employ only two channels of sound -- one for each ear. this usually works fine when listening takes place at close range but in large venues like a cinema, the stereo effect is greatly enhanced when the playback systtem employs more channels. cinema stereo typically utilizes channels designated by their location in the room. the speakers behind the screen are known as left, centre and right. the speakers above the seating area are for the surround channels. analog surround is mono. digital audio provides stereo surround channels (left surround, right surround). a newer system (see below) introduced a third surround channel (back surround).

the center (screen) channel is important because it almost always carries the dialogue track. isolating the dialogue and placing it in the centre of the screen improves intelligibility of the spoken words.

to understand how these multitrack systems work, we need to introduce two more terms -- "matrix" and "discrete."

matrix -- analog cinema stereo uses two tracks (known as Left-Total and Right-Total, or Lt and Rt). these two tracks are constantly analyzed during playback. sounds that are common to both tracks are isolated and redirected to the centre channel loudspeaker. so in the case of bilateral mono tracks (i.e. two identical tracks side-by-side) all of the information gets routed to the centre channel. sounds that are common to both tracks, but recorded out-of-phase, are also isolated and redirected to the surround channel (mono). the remaining sounds pass through to the left and right channels behind the screen. this illustrates why "track" and "channel" do not always mean the same thing.

discrete -- digital systems use discrete tracks. this means that for each channel, there is an actual track. in this case, the terms "track" and "channel" are interchangeable.

subwoofer -- a subwoofer is a speaker system that is designed to reproduce very low frequencies, which are typically felt moreso than they are heard. a device known as a "crossover" can strip away all low frequencies and redirect them to the subwoofer channel. not only does this ensure that those frequencies get properly utilized, it also protects the main loudspeakers which could sustain damage if exposed to these frequencies.

some systems also employ additional channels behind the screen....

left-extra appears between centre and left channels
right-extra appears between centre and right channels

why the extra channels? there are two good reasons. larger screens really benefit from having these channels. first, they fill in what would otherwise be two gaping "holes" between centre and the two outer channels (left and right). second, they give mixers the option to separate the music track from the effects track, the idea being that the reduced "competition" between sounds coming out of any given channel will improve intelligibility.

benefits of digital audio

-- discrete channnels eliminate matrix-decoding errors. crystal clear audio over long-term (versus gradual degradation of analog tracks).

-- improved dynamic range means that digital sound can be quieter than an analog track (which will always contain some "noise") and digital tracks can get louder than analog (the analog waveforms must fit within a space that imposes this limit).

-- improved frequency response (lower lows, higher highs)

digital sound formats in use today --

dts -- this is a dual system, which means that there are two components. the first component is the film itself which does not carry the digital audio but instead carries a timecode track. timecode essentially lets us know how far we are into the movie (which movie, which reel, which minute, second and frame). the second component is a cd-rom (or pair of cd-roms) which contain the digital audio data. a special player interprets the timecode and plays the correct part of the disc(s).

advantages of dts -- placing the sound on the disc(s) means that the audio does not need to be as compressed as the other formats (see below). additionally, the actual tracks are spared from the wear-and-tear of projection. the timecode itself is located between the image area and the soundtrack. thus, dts timecode is least likely to sustain wear-and-tear damage. dts timecode can also be used to trigger text display devices for the hearing impaired. different discs can be used to allow for multilingual presentations with the same film print. similiarly, discs can also contain descriptive narration for the blind. conceivably, the timecode could also trigger automation cues one day. dts has the simplest threading path and does not cost as much as the other systems.

disadvantages of dts -- often the discs do not arrive with movies. also, the projectionist must always be mindful to move the discs if the print is moved.

dolby sr-d -- this is a sound-on-film format which, of course, means that all of the audio information is printed right on the film. the data is stored in between sprocket holes.

benefits of sr-d -- sound-on-film format means that when the print arrives, so does the sound. from a marketing perspective dolby is the most recognized brand name of the three digital cinema systems in use today. also from a marketing perspective, dolby continues to produce a new promo trailer on a more regular basis than the other companies.

disadvantages -- dolby has a more complicated threading path and costs about twice as much as dts to install. the location of the data in between the sprocket holes puts the data in a less-than-ideal place. due to the limited space, dolby digital data is also more heavily compressed than dts. it should be noted, however, that most people do not perceive a difference between the quality of dolby digital and dts audio.

sdds -- this is sony's system. the data is stored on the outermost edges of the film print.

advantages of sdds -- sdds is a sound-on-film format and it is the only digital system that has a digital backup; the others use the analog mix as the immediate backup. sdds is currently the only digital system that offers the extra screen channels (for a total of 8 channels of sound).

disadvantages of sdds -- people with sensitive hearing complain that sdds has a more "screechy" quality than the other 2 formats. the location of the data at the extreme edges of the film is unfortunate in terms of potential for damage. sdds reportedly "drops out" frequently and, despited the digital backup, will often default to the analog mix. despite its being the least reliable and the least known brand, sdds has always been the most expensive system to install. very few movies take advantage of the 8-channel option. few theatres are configured for 8-channel playback.

[ 04-06-2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Manny Knowles ]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-06-2003 01:32 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since barcodes are really read all at once, whereas DTS timecode isn't, I would say that printed DTS timecode is really an optical serial bitstream. [Smile]

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-06-2003 03:07 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
daryl -- you go, boy!

---

i'd also like to mention the concept of noise-reduction (or "nr")...

dolby a
dolby sr

both of these formats are matrix-decoding systems combined with noise-reduction processes.

"noise" is unwanted or disorganized sound. analog tracks are incapable of reproducing total silence. the sound of silence is more like a 'hiss' sound. during the mixing process, several layers of sound are combined and the inherent noise on all those tracks can build up and play havoc with the real sounds, especially during quieter passages.

dolby's noise reduction systems are capable of analyzing soundtracks and 'weeding out' unwanted noise while preserving everything else that the director wants us to hear.

dolby sr ("spectral recording") is an improvement over the performance of dolby-a, offering greater frequency response.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-06-2003 07:50 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate to disagree with Manny, but I have to in the case of his definitions of channel and track. The channel is the complete path a signal takes, and the track is the physical recording of the channel(s). A CD has only ONE track as it is a serial data stream which is read from the CD, and this one track contains TWO channels which are interwoven with each other.

Evans said that Dolby Digital track was stored on the analogue soundtrack. That is not correct, the DD soundtrack is there digitally, in optical form. The same applies to the storage of digital signals on a magnetic tape. It still is a digital storage technique, even though the tape is an originally analogue medium. The difference between A and D is not the medium, but the principle according to which the data are stored. If you take a piece of paper and write down information using a code of long and short dashes or two different symbols, that is a digital recording too.
I am not sure I understand what he meant with analogue spacing between gaps on a Laserdisc. The Laserdisc is a purely digital format, or have I missed something here? I am not very familiar with that format.
If you look at a picture of a CD track, you can also see there are long and short "pits" and "lands". Oddly the pits rise above the lands. That is because the pits are pressed into the CD from the other (label) side. Most people tend to think that the pits are 0s and the lands are 1s, but it is actually the transition from pit to land (the edge of the raised structures) or back which is the 1 value and the space between edges, be it on pit or land, is a longer or shorter series of 0s.

quote:
People with sensitive hearing complain that sdds has a more "screechy" quality than the other 2 formats.
Manny, people with sensitive hearing set up and align the SDDS systems the right way, and then sit down and enjoy clear and brilliant digital sound with way better HF definition than the other formats.

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-06-2003 07:54 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right, Michael. I didn't know that about CD's. I have changed my example so that it is an analogue audio tape.

The important concept is that the information that gets laid down as "left" is, in most cases, intended to play back as "left" and similarly the "right" track plays back as "right." 2:2:2 with no matrix.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Evans said that Dolby Digital track was stored on the analogue soundtrack. That is not correct, the DD soundtrack is there digitally, in optical form.
I was talking about Laserdisc there, not film. I was using this as an example of digital sound format data being stored in analog form. The Dolby Digital soundtrack is stored on one of the analog tracks (I forget whether it's left or right and don't feel like getting a disc out right and firing up a player to find out).

quote:
The Laserdisc is a purely digital format, or have I missed something here?
Laserdisc is an analog medium. Yes, there are pits, but the spacing between the pits determines the signal reproduced. It's frequency modulated. High frequences = closer pit spacing. It's not digital. Laserdiscs originally contained analog composite video with stereo analog audio. Later, 2 PCM audio tracks were added. When DTS is put on Laserdisc, it's stored on the 2 PCM tracks (just like on DTS CDs). The Dolby Digital, if present, is stored on one of the analog stereo audio channels (left or right I can't remember which). However, all of this digital data is stored in analog form on the disc!

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-07-2003 03:56 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this supposed to be "for dummies" ?

I vote for a new thread to explore the finer points, especially if it's gonna take us into the realm of video...and THAT should happen in "The Afterlife" forum, don't you think? [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-07-2003 06:12 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Evans. How does the spacing determine the signal? What is the diffeence between Laserdisc and CD in the way the signal is stored and read?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: