Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What the customer said when they saw the film being carried through the lobby... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What the customer said when they saw the film being carried through the lobby...
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2003 09:34 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you have had to transport a film through the lobby area of your theatre to get it to another screen while there were customers standing around? What were some of the comments you have overheard or questions that you've been asked?

I had a good one on Saturday night. I was moving a print of 'Maid In Manhattan' to another screen for the final round of sessions and while waiting for the elevator to arrive, a couple of guys were amazed (or was it amused?) at how large the roll of film was.

'Why not have the movie on a small disc instead?', said one.
'Haven't you guys heard of digital?', said the other.

I simply smiled and told them that a DVD disc may be compact, but it simply cannot compare to a film print in terms of quality, and that the print I was carrying had INFINITELY more visual information on it than any DVD! His response?

He pointed out that the lift I was waiting for had arrived. Hmmm!

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

luckily, all the sites I work in, and have worked in, we manage to avoid taking film through our lobbies [Smile]

if you are having to move film through a lobby, I am guessing you work for an older hoyts complex in sydney? *grin* Oh wait, you have nice Kinotons in your picture - so it cant be an old hoyts complex! they liked to use old Cinemeclunkas.... hmmmm.

Generally, we get the typical "DVD is better" type discussions with customers when they see prints come into our theatre - but nowadays, cause the exchanges here in Oz ship prints in cardboard boxes, instead of trunks, people tend not to realise what they are... lucky! [Smile] people used to get curious with the film trunks.

Cheers,

M@

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-06-2003 11:43 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
years ago the old theater I worked at had 4 of the ten projectors located in the lobby on two platforms. People would stand and stare at the running machines. They would watch as you thread up the next shows. I would get all kinds of comments ranging from Is this the movie to how do you get the picture to the other screens thinking these four machines ran everything. Suprisingly out of the 71/2 years I worked there no one tried to heave a coke up onto one of the platters. The only incident I had was some asshole thought it would be nice to throw a piece of chewing gum up there. Funny thing is that the gum landed between the layers of film on a reel that I had to replace anyway. So everything was corrected for the next show.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-06-2003 04:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that setup, would you? I can't imagine putting the equipment (and film) where customers could touch it (even if it was only with a drink)!

At places where I have had to move a print through the lobby and someone makes their crack I pause and turn to them saying "oh no, film comes in on 15-20 minute length rolls. This is just reel 1." Their expression is wonderful. [Big Grin]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On occasion I've had someone look at a trailer, see the name of the movie on the paper band and ask if that is the movie.

And I think once I was carrying 2 reels of a movie around. Someone asked and I said that is was a movie. So they then ask why I have two copies of the movie.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-06-2003 06:26 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad at one time I did have some pictures. I am not sure where they are now or if they still exist. I may have them but not sure what I did with them. Anyway if I come accross them I will post them.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-07-2003 01:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At City Screen in York I regularly had to carry complete programmes on platter collars down a 50-yard corridor to get at screen 3's box. The original plan was to build a path across the roof in order to avoid having to take films through public areas, but money got tight and it never materialised (probably not a bad thing - carrying films through the rain would not have been a good idea.

Customers' reactions ranged from the 'haven't you got digital yet?' responses described above, to completely ignoring me and downright stupidity. On one occasion I was fighting my way through a queue of SODs (senile old dodderers) waiting to get into a matinee of The End of the Affair, who resolutely refused to let me through. When I evenually said 'excuse me?' to the woman at the back of the queue, she gave me a lecture about pushing in! She then commented that 'films always start late here, they never start them on time'. I then held the film in front of her, with title clearly visible on the end spacing and told her that this one would also start late if she didn't let me through!

BTW, this (and other) incidents have convinced me that all cinema staff, including projectionists and managers, should wear some sort of uniform which clearly identifies them as staff when at work. If you don't, people will just assume you to be a customer. When the public areas are crowded, I found that this could seriously slow you down if you were trying to move about the building in an emergency.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 06:33 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl,

That sounds like the '70's era Mid-States set up. Columbus had one and there were a few in Cincy and Dayton.

4 projectors and platters on a platform. Some form of strange automation box was there that, to my knowledge, was never connected. Nice looking control panel on a white plastic pole.

They had 70mm on one of the theatres here. Strong 4k power supply and a Pro 35/70 projector.

Biggest problem was dirt. Smoking was still allowed in lobbies at that time, and that, combined with the outside air from the lobby doors made the prints just filthy. These prints starting showing dirt from the first pass.

Still, rather cool to see the equipment up close for theatre junkies like myself.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 07:43 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Australia, at Fox Studios in Sydney, the Hoyts Cinema there has a general public section where you can walk right past the projectors and see the film running. It is up in the Cinemax section (where they charge you more and give you better seats), but to access the Theatres you walk right past about 5 of the booths. Makes me nervous even thinking about it..

regards
Steve Brown

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-07-2003 09:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Daryl,

That sounds like the '70's era Mid-States set up. Columbus had one and there were a few in Cincy and Dayton.

4 projectors and platters on a platform. Some form of strange automation box was there that, to my knowledge, was never connected. Nice looking control panel on a white plastic pole.

They had 70mm on one of the theatres here. Strong 4k power supply and a Pro 35/70 projector.

Biggest problem was dirt. Smoking was still allowed in lobbies at that time, and that, combined with the outside air from the lobby doors made the prints just filthy. These prints starting showing dirt from the first pass.

Still, rather cool to see the equipment up close for theatre junkies like myself.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

Yep it was. THose boxes were just a show gimmick with pretty lights on it. They didn't do anything useful. If you go to any existing theater that was a Mid-states theater now you will find that all those platforms have been walled in.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-08-2003 05:23 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The former Larry Moyer chain (Portland, OR) had a multiplex that had its projectors on a metal catwalk, located above the concession, which was situated in the center of the lobby. The machines projected over the customers and into the auditoriums through some pretty large ports.

I don't recall how many screens there were (I think maybe 6), but on was large enough for 70mm. We saw the second Star Wars show there.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-08-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to take old used trailers of ...say Tuck Everlasting, put a label on it that says "JACKASS THE MOVIE", and then leave it somewhere in the middle of the lobby and watch college kids try to steal it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-08-2003 11:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had many people ask stupid things like, "Don't you have digital yet?" My answer is usually something like...

<Snicker>
No!
</Snicker>

If I like the looks of the person I'll often add...

<Beckoning Gesture>
Follow me...
</Beckoning Gesture>

At which time I give them, literally, a two minute long booth tour. If it's time to start a movie I will smartly thread one up and let it roll as a demonstration. The point here is not so much to instruct but to impress. When they see you "tame the iron beast" with such a casual, well-rehearsed and precise attitude they usually walk away with their heads spinning.

Once in a while somebody will try to draw me into a conversation about DVD players and Dolby Digital and all that consumer electronics crapola. [dlp] [bs] I just cut them off mid-sentence and tell them that I only own a 20 inch color television an old mono VCR and a cheap DVD player that cost $50.
I don't have cable TV.
I live within 10 miles, as the crow flies, of the hilltop where all 5 of the major over-air broadcast towers are located... AND I am in direct line of sight of ALL of them!
I live within 50 miles over water of Canada and two or three Canadian over-air broadcast towers.
I can pick up at least 6 TV stations (and even more when the weather is good) with nothing more than a pair of Radio Shack rabbit ears.
The ONLY thing that impedes my TV reception, besides weather, is the I.L.S. antenna array that's at the end of the airport runway, literally 1/4 mile outside my back door. Late at night when the airport shuts down and they turn off the system (...or put it on low power... or whatever they do...) I can get crystal clear reception. (Yes, yes... At night, the layers of the ionosphere change and you get better reception too! [Smile] )

Essentially, I show them that, even though I know a thing or two about consumer electronics, I STILL don't spend a lot of money buying useless crap because:

• You could spend $20 per week (every week) going to the movies and spend just a little over $1,000 in a year... Less money than you would spend on a "good" hi-fi home video theater... NOT INCLUDING the cost of video rentals and popcorn that I buy!
  • The quality of a movie on film is 100 times better than ANY POSSIBLE video display technology we have available today... Even a Hi-Res Digital TV "Plasma Display" which costs tens of thousands of dollars!... Including the much-ballyhooed digital video movie screens! [fu] (Of which there are less than 100 operating in the WHOLE WORLD!) [Roll Eyes]
  • And, FINALLY... If you go to a theater where film is "Done Right"... All you have to do is walk in, sit down, eat your popcorn and enjoy your movie. You'll never have to lift a finger if you don't want to!
For some stupid reason, people seem to forget what a VALUE it is to go to the movies... Even IF tickes average $7.00 in the USA... Even IF you end up paying $20 per person after buying your ticket and your snacks!

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 11:28 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Michael and all,

Yes when moving a print in a sleeve to another projection room, stuff happens...

1/ People are are dumb asses and you have to ask them to move, gezz. (This is possible because they are stunned, by the sight, of the two crazy people rushing through the foyer with the print, clearly/posibly they have no idea what we are transporting and why)

2/ 'Hey there is our movie, whoa look at the size of it.', Yet still block your path
(Loved Brad's comment about the whole print in sleeve being reel one, I'm going to use that one )

3/ 'Whoa,(to friends) Look at the size of that video tape'

4/ What the hell is that.

5/ They tend to want a peek into the projection room when they see you carting the film in there, because they thought it was on tape or disc, and are shocked when they see the platters and projectors.

6/ Taking trailer box boxes from candy that the lazy courier left there rather than taking to bio, and then a patron saying 'is that the movie'

7/ Having a patron hear us while moving the film say 'The GM is a F***ing A**H*** for making us move these films for the sake of 20 more seats' (Which wont get used anyway)

Bill.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-10-2003 11:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One place where I often fill in has two separate booths, where going from one booth to the other requires walking through an auditorium, which I suppose is either better or worse than having to walk through the lobby, depending upon one's point of view.

Anyway, I don't normally carry entire platter loads of film through there while films are running, mostly because I'd hate to drop one in front of an audience. I do, however, often carry 6000' reels full of film when new prints will be opening in the "lower" booth, as the good rewind bench is in the "upper" booth. Anyway, people usually just point and stare and make inane comments like "look, there's the movie!" It's kind of fun when there's are lots of kids in the audience (they just stare), but annoying with a crowd full of stupid adults who make feel the need to say something to make themselves sound intelligent (even when the result is the opposite). It's sad to see how many people think that a theatre is nothing more than a really big version of their home VCR.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: