Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Horrible "kid flicks" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Horrible "kid flicks"
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken up Brad's offer from the Reviews section and started this post.

My choice? Babe: Pig in the City [puke] This nightmare was done strictly for the product placement. The president of Universal at the time resigned after only 2 weeks on the job because this sequel tanked on its opening (opposite A Bug's Life and The Rugrats Movie). His predecessor had led U through a major-league cold streak.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-06-2003 08:50 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it personally, but apparently there's an '80s film called "Mac and Me" which is essentially one big McDonald's commercial.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-06-2003 09:25 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, released in 1988 Mac and Me was essentially a big McDonalds ad. The intention of the film was to raise money for the McDonalds childrens fund. McDonalds prabably made more on peoples loose change than they did on that piece of crap.

Here is a bad one. I had to run the film The Little Prince (1974) for a childrens film fest. Talk about boring and depressing.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-06-2003 10:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
apparently there's an '80s film called "Mac and Me" which is essentially one big McDonald's commercial.
Not to mention that it tiptoed the razor-thin line of potentially (gratuitously?) ripping off 'E.T.:The Extra-Terrestrial"...I am surprised to this day that Universal didn't sue Orion into the Stone Age for that travesty.

Some other BAD kiddie flicks:

-Kids' Movies apparently made with the sole intention of selling a commercial product (blatant TV-style advertising, as opposed to 'product placements'):

'Transformers: The Movie'
'The Care Bears Movie' and all its sequels
'Garbage Pail Kids'
'The Wizard'

-Kids' Movies that try WAY TOO HARD to 'be, or at least look like, Disney':

'The Last Unicorn'
'Heidi's Song'
'Thumbelina'*
'The Land Before Time'*
'Rock-A-Doodle'*
'Pagemaster'
*Movies done by Disney expatriate Don Bluth, which which explains some of the 'Disney look-and-feel' factor...

-Kid's movies that seemingly push a 'politically correct' agenda:

'Fern Gully'
'The Iron Giant' (In its defense, IG is a well-made, very entertaining film, but was the anti-gun message contained within REALLY necessary?)

-Aaron

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2003 11:21 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's "Return to Oz" (1985). Quite possibly one of the freakiest kiddie shows ever made. It's really too dark for the target audience, although I imagine drunk college kids might get a kick out of it. [beer]

Fairuza Balk played Dorothy. I think that speaks for itself.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 12:07 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I LOVE Fairuza Balk!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 01:16 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many times I've seen the dumbest kids movies come out, and you KNOW dumb little kids are going to flock to it even before you build the print:

-The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
-Air Bud
-Air Bud 2: Golden Reciever
-Feivel Goes West
-The Land Before Time (would have been OK, but someone seriously needs to kill this video franchise!!!)
-Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas
-Pokemon
-Pokemon 2000
-Pokemon 3
-Pokemon 4Ever
-Pokemon Heroes (I just have this feeling...)
-3 Ninjas
-3 Ninjas Kick Back
-3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain
-Balto
-Baby Geniuses
-Blank Check
-Fairy Tale: A True Story
-Muppets From Space
-MVP: Most Valuable Primate
-Rugrats
-Rugrats In Paris
-Rugrats Go Wild (Again, I just have this feeling...)
-Thomas and the Magic Railroad
-The Tigger Movie
-Tom and Jerry: The Movie (they should have NEVER talked!!!)
-Zeus and Roxanne
-Ferngully: The Last Rainforest
-Ferngully 2: The Magical Rescue
-Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home (first one wasn't bad but...)
-Free Willy 3: The Rescue
-Happily Ever After
-Jungle 2 Jungle
-Kazzam
-Space Jam

There, that should cover it. [Wink]

=TMP=

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 03:24 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baby Geniuses, bad, bad, bad.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-07-2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas--you forgot "Country Bears"!

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 08:40 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott wrote:
quote:

Is that the film that we made up, and left sitting on the bottom platter for a week then broke down again? the one with the freaky looking bears in it, and something about some guy kidnapping his own children?

I am glad it only ran once, to two people, cause it freaked me out, what I saw of it.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-07-2003 09:25 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magic in the Water....We had oreo cookies out the but that we were supposed to hand out to people. Never had enough people to hand them out too. [Smile]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 11:40 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No I didn't... since no one "flocked" to it! Not even the dumbest of the dumb little kids. [Razz]

=TMP=

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 12:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man I'm glad somebody besides me is completely freaked out by Return To Oz. It's a truely demented movie.

And I will fight to the death to defend "Transformers: The Movie" [Big Grin]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Wizard" is a true guilty pleasure, since it's such a blatant advertisement for Nintendo- "I love the Power Glove. It's so bad." "Well you just keep your power gloves off her!"
I bought it on laserdisc for 4 bucks when Ken Crane's was blowing out the last of their LDs. "Mac and Me" is also funny in its blatant product-placement, but it's so low-budget you just feel sorry for everyone in it.
One I've never seen but need to is "Million Dollar Mystery", which stars Tom Bosley and has product placements for Glad trash bags (where I've heard the movie belongs!) It actually did award a million dollars to one person who figured out the mystery in the film too.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh come now, muppets in space was a fine movie, perhaps not as good as the first couple muppets movies, but it definitely had all-ages appeal. and i also liked elmo in grouchland. it had about the coolest call for audience participation i've seen. it started with a countdown leader, and asked the kids to count down along with it, because that's how you start movies. unfortunately it was a pretty empty house.

the best thing about these films is the lo-tech but brilliant puppetry. it's like the intricate model work of the real star wars movies, as compared to the jack-off cg we see now. great songs too. clearly they are made by people who completely understand and love the medium they're working in. and they don't condescend.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: