Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I can't believe my dog ate my socks! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I can't believe my dog ate my socks!
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats right..My dog is a Dalmatian and her name is Two-Tone and last night before going to bed I took my socks off and put them on my bed. When I went back to get them, they were gone! I wasn't sure if I was going insane and left my socks somewhere else, or if I had a sock thief in the house until I got home from work today, and there in a pile of regurgitate [puke] food, were my socks!! My Dog ate my socks! Both of them!! This isn't really anything new with her. When she was a puppy she did eat many socks and a few leash's also.
My question is, has anyone else's dog eaten socks or any other household items??

Paul Goulet

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-08-2003 10:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If she is still a puppy, she is probably still teething. I guess it hurts when they go through that stage, so they will chew on anything that is handy.

I doubt if she ate the whole thing. If you look around in her secret little hiding place, you might find what is left, if anything other than a pile of barf.

Give her some hard food to chew on. That might help. Vets have a medication that you can schmeer on her gums that will ease the pain a little for them.

If she is not a pupply, she is probably bored out of her skull!That happens to dogs as well as humans. They can also get very depressed.

In any event, you might want to discuss it with the vet to see if you can come up with a way to break the habit that has apparently formed.

Just my opinion....

But yes....dogs will eat anything! You name it...if it fits in their mouths, they'll eat it. Some of the stuff they eat will make you [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-08-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends in Los Angeles was a raging pot-head. Actually, MANY of my friends in Los Angeles were raging potheads!

Anyway, this particular friend had a German Shepherd that found his stash one night while he was out on the town. The dog ate ALL of his pot and then ate an entire roll of toilet paper and the contents of a small jar of Vaseline petroleum jelly.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-08-2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dogs DO love vasoline... [Smile]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-08-2003 11:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dogs love ANYTHING that's smelly!

Not to say that your feet stink but, as you know, a dog's sense of smell is more acute than a human's. They LIKE stinky stuff. To a dog, a big pile of shit smells like "Chanel No. 5"! A pair of sweaty socks smell like lunch!

I've heard of this before. The dog will usually puke 'em up or shit 'em out. On some occasions, the dog will have to go to the vet and have an operation to get the socks out because they block the digestive tract. I saw on TV, once, where a dog ate a whole box of "Brillo" pads! (Soap-impregnated steel wool for scrubbing pots and pans.) They actually saved the dog's life!

I agree with Paul. Check to see if the dog really ate the whole thing and check to see if the dog is cutting-in its new teeth

If the dog has a habit of doing this after it grows up you will have to watch it closely to see that it doesn't bite off more than he can chew... literally! You don't want the dog to end up having an operation (or worse!) just because it couldn't stop eating smelly things!

Often animals will do things like this because they are "bored". (Or as bored as an animal can be.) If you give them some attention, supervision and enough activities to keep their minds busy they will usually grow out of the phase.

I had a cat, once, which liked to lick the emulsion off my film!
I once brought a batch of (B/W 35 mm still photo) negatives home from the lab and left them on the living room table one evening. I went to bed, thinking nothing of it. In the morning I found them scattered on the floor with almost all of the images GONE! Just blank film! The damn cat must've though they tasted good because almost an entire roll of film had been licked clean!
Needless to say, I had to keep my photo stuff in a closed drawer from then on!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-09-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about getting a dog, but I would have to dog-proof my house. We had a pair of basset hounds when I was a kid. Those hushpuppies would chew up all kinds of stuff. One of the dogs reduced my straw cowboy hat into a yamulka. Lost some shoes and a good number of toys to them as well, along with a school library book I had to pay for out of my allowance! [Mad]

Dogs sometimes like to eat their own poo, but they seem to love cat poo even more. We would catch the dogs raiding the litter pans for "tootsie pops." I remember one of the dogs jumping up on the couch to greet my dad. He remarked, "hey, this dog smells like he's been eating cat shit." Then he looked closer and saw the kitty litter gravel on the dog's lips. "He has been eating cat shit!"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-09-2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dogs will also eat grass. They do it because they don't feel good, and they WANT to puke, just like a person who is exceedingly drunk. Remember the times you jammed your finger down your throat to enhance the puking? Well, dogs can't jam their paws down their throat, so the eat grass instead.

There are home remedies that will make you puke your brains out if you eat something nasty that is bad for you. Same difference.

Bobby said:
quote:
"Dogs sometimes like to eat their own poo.."
True. One leading reason is if you disipline the dog too harshly during the house-breaking phase, they will become afraid. They know it is wrong, and they would rather "hide the evidence" by munching it down insead of getting their ass beat.

Remember, generally a dog will not mess in their own bed unless there is no other choice. So, you make your house seem like a huge doggy bed. Give him a place to "have an accident" in case you can't take the dog for a normal walk on schedule. That little emergency place you make for your dog will probably be the only place it will use in event of an accident.

Problem solved. [Big Grin]

Contrary to popular belief, dogs are very clean animals if you take care of them.

Now you have to make sure the dog is taught the simple fact that those little crunchies in the kitty box are not doggie treats. [Eek!]

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2003 02:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No animal in it's right mind, human, canine or otherwise, is dumb enough to get near *my* socks, let alone eat them [Wink]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-09-2003 02:16 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Paul... you NEED to wash them once in awhile...so they are NOT so "attractive"! [Big Grin]

>>> Phil!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-09-2003 03:18 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, the only time I have to give my Beagle a bath is when he gets into something he should stay away from. Other than that, he just washes himself - just like a cat. The only grooming I have to do to him is to brush his fur so he does not shed so much, and keep his nails trimmed.

Years ago, I had another Beagle. He got off the leash one time and went out inspecting something. I think it was a cow. When that little hound came home, he was covered with cow manure. He welcomed a bath. Actually, he stunk so bad that the preliminary wash was with a garden hose.

Here is something of interest:

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."
Anonymous

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
Ann Landers

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
Ben Williams

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."
Josh Billings

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Andrew A. Rooney

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made."
M.Facklam

"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate."
Sigmund Freud

"I wonder what goes through his mind when he sees us peeing in his water bowl."
Penny Ward Moser

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down."
Robert Benchley

"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog."
Franklin P. Jones

"If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise."
Unknown

"My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money."
Joe Weinstein

"Ever consider what they must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!"
Anne Tyler

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Robert A. Heinlein

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2003 04:25 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not just socks and dope ,the pup's now carrying a concealed weapon.

Take a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/2931179.stm

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-09-2003 06:05 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
No Paul, I was referring to the "other" Paul...and his socks... [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-09-2003 10:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"So you need the affection of an emotionally shallow animal?"
Robert de Niro in Meet the Parents

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 dachshunds, and virtually everything 6 inches or lower has been eaten or chewed. Socks, shoes, underwear, electric cords, chair legs and so forth have torn or bear teeth marks. Max, my miniature male is a chewer and there are holes in the bed linen, pillow cases and my good trousers.
Whenever there is a litter of puppies, the puppies chew on anything, learning well from their parents.
On a trip to Melbourne once, I went to use the cb radio and could not transmit as the dog had chewed the microphone cord, another dog bit through the power lead of an associate`s photocopier when it was on (240 volts in Australia), and did not receive a shock.
They love to shred paper, so the floor is always covered with small bits of paper.
Dachshunds can be destructive, but they are very loyal and highly entertaining.
Jonn Spooner.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-09-2003 02:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beagles are great dogs. Very loyal, too. They are self-exercising, they love kids, and good watchdogs, up to a point. That make alot of noise if someone approaches the owner if the owner is not aware of being approached by a stranger. They love attention, and they will take the owner for a walk. Sometimes I think my 22-lb hound can tow a tank! He is going on 16 years old now, and everyone still thinks he is a puppy.

The only downsides I have experienced with Beagles is that they are "sniffers" and when they start sniffing, they quickly and completely become totally unaware of their surroundings. They have to be on a leash at all times while outside. They have been known to dig themselves out of a fenced yard.

However, you don't want to piss off a Beagle. (it is hard to do that anyway, they are almost unpissable) as they have been known to rip the pisser a new asshole. If the pissee (the Beagle) does this, the pisser deserves it. But yet, I have never heard of a Beagle attacking his or her master. Be as it may, as with any dog, it could probably happen under abusive situations.

When in the house, they want to be in the same room with you. Poopers will come into the computer room, coil himself up in front of my feet under the desk, and zonk out. If I get up and leave the room, within 2 minutes he is following me.

Dogs are great. A friend of mine who lives in Evansville, Indiana was a K-9 cop. He said the best partner on the poilce force was his K-9 friend.

Recently, a police dog was killed in Everett, WA during a police chase. The police officer who maintaind the dog as his partner was in tears.

You read about things like this all the time.

Anyway, if you ever get a dog for a pet, do alot of research. Some breeds of dogs are undesirable for certain enviroments. Example: You don't want to get a pit bull if your house has toddlers. Some pit bulls and others as well will see the toddlers as "snacks"...you get the point.

OK, I could not resist. Here is a picture of my little Pooper. [Big Grin]
 -

[ 04-09-2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: