Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Suggestions for the Picture Warehouse (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Suggestions for the Picture Warehouse
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-10-2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad and I are working on remodeling the Picture Warehouse.

So far, I've got the tours broken down into the following categories:

• Screening Rooms
  • Large Format Theatres
  • Singles, Twins, Trios and Quads
  • Multis and Megas
  • Special Events
  • Drive-Ins
  • Miscellaneous
Any other suggestions while I'm working on the index page?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-10-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
  • Dumps
Naaaaaaah. [Razz]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-11-2003 01:15 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
How about "Private Home Screening Rooms" rather than, or in addition to, just "Screening Rooms" in general? It would be a great place for an individual to post their home theatre pics.

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly wouldn't create too many categories. It makes things cluttered. That is like having a different forum for almost every subject. Navigating would be a pain in the ass. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for some theaters. Where does Madstone fall in? Personally I think it is fine as it is. I know right where to look for anything I might want to find. The only thing I *might* do would be to separate the screening rooms from the movie theaters.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 08:19 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd put all regular theatres, singles through megas (what no category for gigas?), in one category. I might break out movie palaces seperately and maybe also include in the same category other performing arts centers that sometimes run film even if newer construction.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2003 11:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's gonna be harder than ever to show someone pics of a theater online. You can't send them a URL, you'll have to tell them:

Go to www.film-tech.com

Click on "Pictures" over on the left frame.

Scroll down to "Screening Rooms"

Scroll down to "Private screening rooms"

Find "Film-Tech Screening Room". Click it.

Enjoy.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-11-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Joe, look at how many extra pages there are that we could try to sell them something on.

Personally I'd just go with:

• Screening Rooms (all types)
  • Large Format
  • Indoor
  • Outdoor
  • Special Events / Miscellaneous
And lose the alphabetical order. It's too organized!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would there be a way to make "only" the picture warehouse accessible via a bookmark? That would be good.

Adam Martin

- posted 04-11-2003 12:37 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no. Not separate pages. All on one page, just grouped by category. Jeez.

Sample: http://www.cinematour.com/temp/picindex_new2.htm

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there goes selling Cinemawhore swag!

You look at that page in an 800x600 window Adam?

Adam Martin

- posted 04-11-2003 12:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
800x600 looks fine, except now all my desktop items are moved around. Two columns, just like I planned. Besides, the main page of this website specifically says that it's optimized for 1024x768 viewing. [Razz] My favorite, though is 640x480 on a 19-inch monitor at 16 colors.

Jeez, somebody sent me a 16 MB email. Looks like I'll go read a book or something for a while. [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You say you don't want any email, that could be arranged.

If you had a real DSL connection it wouldn't be a problem -- it only took me 5 seconds to send. If I wasn't tired out from running all over the city taking pics I might have FTP'd it for ya.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-11-2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More pics! To anyone who hasn't sent in pics of their theatres--shame, shame!

I'd love to see some pics of older theatres that may no longer exist. I would hope that some of the older F-T members would have at least a few pics of older houses where they have worked.

Not that Adam can do anything about any of this....

As for stuff that Adam _can_ add:

I'd like to see the picture pages contain the approximate date when the photographs were taken, if known. Some of the theatres may have changed significantly since then and some may no longer exist.

Please keep the short one-line description of each venue. It's helpful in re-locating a theatre where one might remember the type of venue or equipment but not the actual theatre name.

Would it be worthwhile to include "colleges and universities" (or maybe "non-profit organizations") as a separate category? These installations are usually nicely outfitted booths with all picture formats and occasionally with interesting capabilities, such as variable speed.

Adam Martin

- posted 04-11-2003 05:04 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone care to volunteer to write the one-line descriptions for all of the photo tours from January-March in the sneak preview? I'll be adding those to the existing list.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2003 08:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would only write the bylines for the pictures I submitted (Greenwood, Madstone Tamarac, Colorado Cinemas Suthwest Plaza 5 (which is mislabeled as Mann Southwest Plaza 5) etc). I will e-mail them to you if you wish.

Yeah I didn't know you meant one page. That's cool then. But what constitutes special venue? I think single screen and 36 screen theaters should be in the same category. They're both movie theaters that sell tickets, right? The example page looks a little cluttered. I would probably do something similar, but just have one column. It would look less cluttered that way. Also it would make it easier to add updates to the page using a text editor (my preferred way to author HTML). Maybe have a set of links at the top to take you down to your favorite section.

PS - The old UA Greenwood Plaza 12 page needs to be deleted. It has many errors and the new one corrects them and adds new pics.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: