Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Need Some Help in Determining Windows 2000 Professional Component Services Log

Author Topic: Need Some Help in Determining Windows 2000 Professional Component Services Log
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-17-2003 04:10 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once in a while, I browse through the Component Services in the Control Panel. I see warnings and errors, which I don't know how to interpret. Here is an example of the error log.

-

If I click on a warning in the Component Services/Event Server/System and click on the Remote Access warning (as shown in the picture) the result is shown as:

"Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private Address 169.254.221.245 will be assigned to dial-in clients. Clients may be unable to access resources on the network"

If I click on the Component Services/Event Server/Application, and click on an error line, it says:

"Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your Administrator."

Followed by: DETAIL - Access is denied. ,Build Number [[2195]]

If I click on the Dhcp source, the message is:

"Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 000103DDC7BE. The IP address being used is 169.254.238.53."

Can someone explain to me in APE/GORILLA Language what this means, and how do I fix it?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-17-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Event 20169 can be caused by a couple of things:

1. The most likely - your ethernet adapter is setup to get an IP address from a DHCP server. Not knowing your network (or if you're on one) I'm going to assume that you don't have a DHCP server to get an address from. In this case you'll need to manually assign an IP address and subnet to the adapter. For a private network use something in the form of 192.168.0.x and 255.255.255.0 (IP and subnet mask) or something inline with the rest of your network.

2. Remote Access Service could be running on the machine. Check to make sure that 'Routing and Remote Access' is 'Disabled' under 'Services'. Disabling RAS should eliminate the error messages in the log and save you a couple CPU cycles a day. [Smile]

3. There's a few other things that could cause it, but these are the most likely.

As for the 'Access Denied' warning when trying to access the 'Application Event Log'... it sounds like the account you are logged in with doesn't have full administrative access.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-17-2003 08:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Daryl. I disabled the RAS.

I am on a simple home network, but rarely do I ever start the other machines.

For the "access denied" thing....I am logged on as the administrator. Where do I change a setting for that in Admin Tools?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-17-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you're logged in as 'Administrator' there is some other problem. There used to be a pre-SP2 problem with winmgmt.exe that would cause this problem. Check to make sure the file WindowsPath\System32\wbem\WinMgmt.exe has a date on or later than 08/15/2000 07:34p and a size of 196,685 bytes or larger.

If the file is up to date something else must be causing the error. After trying to view the Application log, is there any error line / message recorded in the other logs (either the System or Security logs)?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-17-2003 11:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made a file search, and I found 2 of them. One was in C:\WINIT\system32\wbem. File Size 192kb (196,685 bytes) Size on disk 196KB (200,704 bytes) Created Monday, August 05, 2002.

The other was in C:\WINIT\Service PackFiles\i386. Size is 192kb, Size on disk: 196KB (200,704 bytes)Created August 05, 2OO2.

Sounds like it is outdated. Presently:
OS name - Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Vesion - 5.02195 Service Pack 3 Build 2195

Am I outdated? Where do I snatch another file if I am....

Somewhere I tripped over the date I installed 2000 in this machine. I think it was August 2001. I can't remember where I saw it.

Checking the application log, there is one error. That happened on 13 August 2003 at 6:19:14 PM. The source was Userenv Catagory none Event 1000. The error was

"Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your Administrator." (same as the other one I posted earlier.)

Also there was a warning that occurred on 13 August 2003 1 minute earlier. The source was EventSystem catagory Event Service. Discription of the wrror was:

The COM+ Event System detected a corrupt IEventSubscription object.
The COM+ Event System has removed object ID {CDD1C95B-1FBE-48B0-98C2-3DC9A30D4A32}.

The subscriber will no longer be notified when the event occurs.

Well, for almost 2 years of running 2000 on this machine, it still runs. But these errors bug me. I hate errors.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-17-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is an up to date version of the file.

Did you find any log lines created each time you get the 'access is denied' error?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-17-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, I never had any "access denied" messages come across the screen. [Confused]

Looking at System and Application logs, I have not noted any errors or warnings since 16th of April.

Something noteworthy though...two automatic updates came through and when shutting down, the computer would hang. Manual rebooting was needed. This happened a couple of days ago, maybe 3 days. I can't remember.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 04-18-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was the 'access is denied' error I was referring to, from your first post:
quote:
If I click on the Component Services/Event Server/Application, and click on an error line, it says:

"Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your Administrator."

Followed by: DETAIL - Access is denied. ,Build Number [[2195]]

As for the Event 1000 errors from August, they were probably from before your last service pack update so I wouldn't worry about them. Actually, I really wouldn't worry about any operating system related errors that didn't occur in the last week.

In any case, let the machine run for a couple days and see if any new error messages appear in the log -- now that you've made some changes (disabled RAS).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-18-2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a plan, Daryl. Thank you very much for your valuable information. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know the outcome.

Again, thanks! [beer]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-20-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update. Daryl's tweaking assistance did help. Since the last post, I have not had any errors or warnings come up in the Component Services. Maybe it is running too good now...because it does not even report information messages like it did before.

Kinda spooky. Just like a Brenkert projector. If they run smooth and quiet without leaking oil, there's something wrong and she's gonna blow.... [Big Grin]

The lull before the storm? [Razz]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that there would be a nice business out there for somebody.

A computer clutter reducer

Computers clean and fresh

Let us strip all the bullshit out of your system.

We return your computer to you streamlined, fast, clutter free with your data intact.

I would love it if there were a freeware program that stripped all the bullshit out of Windows.

Hell, the way I use a computer, I could use Windows Lite. "Half the bullshit, all of the productivity."

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-20-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Ian. Wouldn't that be nice? I actually wonder what the clutter factor is with some of the software? It must be a high percentage. And half the shit is [puke]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: