Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Retailers to face fines for selling mature games to minors...

Author Topic: Retailers to face fines for selling mature games to minors...
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Washington Bill proposed to fine retailers for selling mature game titles to minors has passed according to an Associated Press report. Retailers will now face a $500 fine if they sell a game that depicts violence to minors. The bill is expected to be signed into law by the governor.

The IDSA responded to the news by saying the bill is essentially a form of censorship.

I wonder if this (or similar legislation) will eventually effect the movie business?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-20-2003 12:42 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this new law is a bunch of crap!!! If a minor wants to get something bad enough, they will come up with it and it does not matter what it is. There is no law that I know of that will stop them.

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 12:50 AM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really see how such a law could be enforced. "Depicting violence" is open to an awful lot of an interpretation. Sure, games like GTA: Vice City and Postal are pretty obviously violent, but there's always going to be some crazy parent who thinks that Mario jumping on one of those damn mushrooms is too violent for their kid. If they're gonna start fining people over violence in games, they're going to have to define video game violence legally - and good luck with that.

Same thing with films. Content is subjective. What's appropriate to Johnny's parents is horribly offensive to Billy's folks. Who defines what's legally appropriate for the little ones?

The rating system? No sir! If you start seeing laws which use the voluntary rating system as a basis, I bet the ol' voluntary rating system will quickly disappear in those jurisdictions. Jack Valenti wants to make parents happy, but you gotta draw the line at theaters getting shut down and poor box office workers get fined.

I guess the states could set up their own ratings boards and make certification mandatory. That'd make everyone real happy, both distributors and exhibitors! [Roll Eyes]

Why can't parents raise their own kids instead of trying to pass laws so others have to do it for them? [Mad]

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 01:38 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the people who are going to use this law are the same ones who sue McDonald's becuase they burned themsleves with hot coffee...

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 04:08 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this will do is increase the number of minors downloading pirated software in Washington.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-20-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Count me as one who says "this is stupid."

What's a violent game, anyway? And who is to say that violent video games (which is pretty much all of them) are harmful to minors? Shouldn't this be the responsibility of the minors' parents, and not some government bureaucrat who wants to make headlines?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-20-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry if I'm not understanding this but the law was passed upon selling of the "rating" of the game correct? Just like movies (I know, its not a law! [Smile] )--"M" for mature would have to be carded before purchased...

So I don't understand why you guys are worrying about determining violence...we don't have to worry about that...the FCC says that for us! [Roll Eyes]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2003 02:34 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the video game rating system-E for everyone, T for teen, and M for mature-volountary? I thought it was.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: