Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Uninstalling an old Virus program....

Author Topic: Uninstalling an old Virus program....
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2003 01:49 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys maybe you can help me out here. I just purchased a new antivirus program for an older computer we have. It is a Compaq with the MaCafee antivirus program that was installed in the bundle package. My new program is a Nortons 2003 antivirus program. In order for me to install the new antivirus program I must unistall the old one. The problem is I do not see the program listed in the add remove programs list to uninstall it.
How can I unistall the old program safely. What do I need to do. I am running window 98SE on this machine and it was purchased back in 99. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-20-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be sold on Mcafee. Not any more. It is a resource hog, and in the process of trying to delete a virus, it seems to munch on other files that are critical. You might be better off with what you have (Norton) if it is kept updated.

I am in a quandary right now as to which program is really the best.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

That is what I am updating to. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the Macafee program that is on there now. It is not listed in the ad/remove programs list so I am not sure what all I need to do. I do not have any documentation for the Macafee program it cam bundled with the software package

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My frined had this same problem long time ago.The set up disk had the unstalle feature on it. Of course if you dont have the disk im not sure what to do. May be you could try and file the "file" itself, were ever it may be and see if it has a unstalle icon in there.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-20-2003 03:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably will not like this suggestion, but I recommend Windows users do a fully clean install at least once a year. What I mean by "clean install" is formatting the hard disc before reinstalling any programs. That will get rid of the old McAfee app along with allowing you to install only the programs you really need to run, thus making for a cleaner Windows registry.

From the view of security, it is always good to back up your important data to CD or other means and do a format/clean install once in awhile. Unless some hacker is actually able to flash your motherboard BIOS chip, you'll get rid of any spyware or other malicious code easily.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-20-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about my mis-read, Darryl.

I agree with Bobby - if the darn program doesn't literally self-distruct be then. Windows 98 lasted about 6 to 9 months on an average for me before I had to format the drive and start over.

However, I am running 2000 Pro right now. I installed in in August 2001, and it is still running strong and has not yet crashed.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
go to the mcaffee website and look under support and select your product then look for the topic of uninstalling the product and you will find the info. You will most likely have to edit your registry but you will be ok if you do a registry backup. I just bought Mcafee Virus scan Pro V7 and it does slow your pc down a bit. Mcafee came out with a fix but it doesn't help much. Still trying to decide wether or not I am going to keep mine or get a refund and go with something else.
Good luck.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use AVG anti-virus protection. It's free and it's compact. What more can you ask?

Grisoft

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, I got it taken care of. I found instructions on removing the program manually. Norton is now installed and working. This computer had a fatal virus attack about a year ago so everything was reformatted and reinstalled then. We have not been using it that much and I just got everything set up so we can have internet acces for it to. Thanks for the suggestions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: